Pretentious Swag Rap Is The Worst Sub Genre Since Snap Music

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yep...

You see it...

The visual aspect is running laps around the audio...

Wiz has the same sound and content as when he looked like this

Wiz+Khalifa.jpg

But now he's calling himself young Jimi and on the cover of Rolling Stone... You wanna call yourself Jimi? Cool.. Well release something with the soul, passion and originality of Hey Joe...Don't just have your stylest raid his closet...
:wow:

charmander

Alhamdulillah
Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Icey HawkSet ByrdGang
the ones in here trying to say "but but back in the day people were dressing like weirdos too" are missing the point

back then if you were going to dress like a pretentious, glittery, spandex half-a-homo...you had to be making some art that was on par with it, there had to be some innovation involved to give credence to the weirdo schtick

now every rapper is rapping the same way about the same things while all dressing like David Bowie or a dominatrix...it's incredibly corny, and is part of the reason i have a hard time listening to all these new hipster pseudo-artsy wannabe avant-garde ass nikkas

nikkas wanna be looked at like visionaries while making songs called I Luhh Dem Skrippas, fukk outta here

Rominati

Legendary Poster
Daps
Thats the problem with the game nowadays. Internet got every mothafukka thinking that their arm chair, mom's basement, opinion matters. Rappers always been dressing like weirdo's and doing extra ordinary shyt.

Its jus that now, cuz of the net all these grandpa ass nikkas finally get a chance to cry about how "Thangs aint the saaame"

Ya'll the same type of people who would of prolly called Cam corny for rocking pink n having a Pink Range rover, or Slick Rick "trying to hard" for having a eye patch, or Ghostface being a weirdo for walking around in Robes, or Method Man being a loser for having no color'ed eye lenses.

Let these nikkas do their damm thang man :rudy: , if its weird to you or their trying to hard jus keep it moving.

Edit: "Nah man, Pac a goofball for that yo,such a gimmick rapper, is he even from Africa?"

tumblr_lxynchUxDD1r8gjk8o1_500.png

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm actually a fan of A$ap, but the OP is pretty much on point. I'm not even gonna touch the fashion, just the production that A$ap spits over would suggest that he was talking about some crazy, artistic, groundbreaking shyt. but if you actually look at his content, for the most part its basic and generic as hell

for example...

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sDuUgEkOn0[/ame]

this beat is epic as FUCK. deserves some obscure religious references or bold proclamations about how the black man is God. instead we get A$ap bragging about how swagged out he is :comeon:

or this...
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms8LViYF3-Y[/ame]

this beat deserves some insightful lyrics about personal struggle, or something spiritual. instead we get rocky complaining about his haters :comeon:

I will say though, A$ap has improved as a lyricist. He stepped up his pen game a bit on his debut album, the title track in particular

I thought I'd probably die in prison, expensive taste in women
Ain't had no pot to piss in, at my kitchen full of dishes
Nose bloody from that sniffin', your heroin addiction
Trigger finger itching fukk parental supervision
This be that murder business, little Timmy got that semi
I ain't kidding hide yo kittens, hit yo children with that Smith and
A bunch of ignant little niglets, hard headed, never listen
Purple sippin', finger twistin', teeth glisten like it's Memphis
A bunch of hypocritic Christians, the land of no religion
My Santa Claus was missing, catch you slippin' then it's Christmas
Motherfukk a wishlist, my ghetto was ambition
For my benjis and my Bentley, and them bytches now I gets gets
On the road to riches, a diamond ring, designer jeans
Toking on that biscuit till I'm no longer existing
I wonder if they miss me, as long as I make history
Now my soul is feeling empty, tell the reaper come and get me
:ehh:

def improving, though I still don't think he's at a point where his lyrical content truly fits his production. once he reaches that, I'll consider him a true artist like all the blogs are hyping him up to be. for now he's just a decent rapper with a great ear for beats.

Last edited by a moderator:

charmander

Alhamdulillah
Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Icey HawkSet ByrdGang
Thats the problem with the game nowadays. Internet got every mothafukka thinking that their arm chair, mom's basement, opinion matters. Rappers always been dressing like weirdo's and doing extra ordinary shyt.

Its jus that now, cuz of the net all these grandpa ass nikkas finally get a chance to cry about how "Thangs aint the saaame"

Ya'll the same type of people who would of prolly called Cam corny for rocking pink n having a Pink Range rover, or Slick Rick "trying to hard" for having a eye patch, or Ghostface being a weirdo for walking around in Robes, or Method Man being a loser for calling no color'ed eye lenses.

Let these nikkas do their damm thang man :rudy: , if its weird to you or their trying to hard jus keep it moving.

so the problem with the game nowadays is everyone has a format to express their opinion, instead of the lack of quality or effort or originality in the rap game anymore?

:dwillhuh:

OG Talk

Archived
Daps
Reppin
Heaven on Earth
Haha real talk some of ya old nikkas need to leave rap alone.

Ya'll about to give ya selves brain tumors over this shyt :russ:

I know the easy route for you to go is to try to make this into an age thing...

But Pusha, Kanye, 2Chainz and them are probably older than everyone in this thread..

including us "old heads"

And you're right.. N1ggas in the 80's were wearing Gucci and Louie

Except they shopped in the mens section

Just a couple of minor details I feel need to get cleared up before you get too deep in your feelings

:manny:

But again.. Making this all about clothes is just as languorous as some of the lyrics of these dudes you in here caping for...

Rominati

Legendary Poster
Daps
so the problem with the game nowadays is everyone has a format to express their opinion, instead of the lack of quality or effort or originality in the rap game anymore?

:dwillhuh:

Wiz Khalifa came in the game with something original, and of quality. (Kush &OJ)

So did ASAP Rocky. (Live Love ASAP , Long Live ASAP)

Maybe if ya nikkas got ya head out of the 90s for a second and actually listen to these nikkas music you would be able to see? :manny:

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Ya'll the same type of people who would of prolly called Cam corny for rocking pink n having a Pink Range rover, or Slick Rick "trying to hard" for having a eye patch, or Ghostface being a weirdo for walking around in Robes, or Method Man being a loser for calling no color'ed eye lenses.

I think you're missing the OP's points and confusing him with the dudes who strictly hate on the flamboyant clothing. what he's saying is that the "artistic," left field, unique image a lot of these rappers portray doesn't match the basic, generic content that they actually spit. basically, you can take two rappers who rap about the exact same shyt, but have one spit over Imogen Heap samples while wearing high fashion and starring in dramatic black and white videos, and then have the other wear a hoodie while spitting over trap beats. one of them will be hailed as a true visionary artist by white hipster bloggers while the other will be considered a generic hood rapper. people easily mistake style for substance in this era.

OG Talk

Archived
Daps
Reppin
Heaven on Earth
the ones in here trying to say "but but back in the day people were dressing like weirdos too" are missing the point

back then if you were going to dress like a pretentious, glittery, spandex half-a-homo...you had to be making some art that was on par with it, there had to be some innovation involved to give credence to the weirdo schtick

now every rapper is rapping the same way about the same things while all dressing like David Bowie or a dominatrix...it's incredibly corny, and is part of the reason i have a hard time listening to all these new hipster pseudo-artsy wannabe avant-garde ass nikkas

nikkas wanna be looked at like visionaries while making songs called I Luhh Dem Skrippas, fukk outta here

^^^^^

he gets it

Rominati

Legendary Poster
Daps
what he's saying is that the "artistic," left field, unique image a lot of these rappers portray doesn't match the basic, generic content that they actually spit. basically, you can take two rappers who rap about the exact same shyt, but have one spit over Imogen Heap samples while wearing high fashion and starring in dramatic black and white videos, and then have the other wear a hoodie while spitting over trap beats. one of them will be hailed as a true visionary artist by white hipster bloggers while the other will be considered a generic hood rapper. people easily mistake style for substance in this era.

I agree wholeheartedly.

But as a counter arguement, can one not say that is original of itself. ASAP Rocky & Lil B came in the game with this new wave. Did they not? Besides Kanye, who in the rap game was on that Avante-garde, bells & whistles, shyt before Rocky dropped Peso's?

nikkas complaining about original and shyt while banging their heads to Cheif Keef and Lil Bibby, but get mad when a nikka comes into the game dressing different and ushering in new sounds?:troll:

Allah

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Just another example of the media subliminally reinforcing the supremacy of white culture over black urban culture. The same way you have to have a white girl on your arm after you get famous and have to shave your corn rows and "grow up", now its the fact that dressing like a hipster (which lets be real, is white) is the only way to gain legitimacy in the entertainment industry. Any manifestations of black culture are immediately associated with the hood and termed ghetto and thus have to be left behind..