Pretentious Swag Rap Is The Worst Sub Genre Since Snap Music

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
Rick James dressed like that because he didn't know any better. Androgyny was just being created and he helped start the trend along with Boy George and Prince. That was in the late 70's and early 80's. They didn't know the error of their ways.

Prince STILL dresses like that for the most part. How would they not know any better when they were the ones who knew what they wanted? They were the trendsetters. You sound like you're justifying what they did because they happen to be artists you liked (at least Prince and Rick James), and Rick James-- and much of hip-hop dressed like that and they were the realest nikkas out. It's not that they didn't know any better. How can you not know better than to wear clothes that fit and gear that matches? U think they were that stupid?

Plenty of real nikkas probably dressed like that in that time frame. Watch some vintage soul train and you'd probably see Tookie Williams type nikkas dressing like that. They get a pass because black masulinity wasn't celebrated at the time. But to do this shyt post gangsta rap era is beyond comprehension.

4x tees and baggy jeans that are worn below your underwear is not the dress code for black masculinity. If anything the baggy jeans with easy access comes from fakkit prison culture. Is that black masculinity? You're reinforcing my point. You found something you loved and thought "this is what it is and this is what it should always be." Now that it isn't, it doesn't sit well. Urban culture even at its peak had things about the fashion that looked ridiculous in hindsight. We just didn't care because it was our culture.

blackslash

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
First song is a clear Drake biting

Second song is alright but not really "unique"

And in any case, you are talking about 1 song out of hundreds. Overall these dudes don't have very unique sounds or strong skillsets. You yourself brag about running in the same circles as ASAP so I think you might be biased towards him (which is not bad but lets call a spade a spade). I think you just called Wiz a Bigga lite :pachaha: At the minimum you know how much Bigga... *ahem*... "influenced" his sound. So naw these dudes are not original

All the dudes I named besides Keef have original sounds. Every song, good or bad, they go left and they do them. All these dudes who are hot in the game are just trend hoppers. And all their fans are trend followers who feel uncomfortable with shyt that doesn't follow protocol. The game is stangant bruh that is why I don't fukk with a lot of shyt.

Even back in the NYC mixtape days, yea shyt was derivative, but at least dudes were spitting. And back in the 90s dudes were spitting AND being original. Now people are doing neither

What trend did Asap hop on musically? :ehh:

Propaganda

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
the ones in here trying to say "but but back in the day people were dressing like weirdos too" are missing the point

back then if you were going to dress like a pretentious, glittery, spandex half-a-homo...you had to be making some art that was on par with it, there had to be some innovation involved to give credence to the weirdo schtick

now every rapper is rapping the same way about the same things while all dressing like David Bowie or a dominatrix...it's incredibly corny, and is part of the reason i have a hard time listening to all these new hipster pseudo-artsy wannabe avant-garde ass nikkas

nikkas wanna be looked at like visionaries while making songs called I Luhh Dem Skrippas, fukk outta here

no, you didn't. not even close. you're either just remembering the names that lasted or outright lying to help push your point.

what this thread really is just dude's bytching about what other dude's are wearing.

G.O.A.T Squad Spokesman

Logic Is Absent Wherever Hate Is Present
Daps

never knew that!
I'm saying tho in this new era of the internet do u think if a artist like Kendrick did that long tank shyt or some other out the box shyt, would it be permissible in this day in age??
Fashion is created by whoever is presented in front of the masses and appeals to them. In the advertising world we call them "Opinion Leaders". Before NWA came out who was wearing starter jackets? I remember when Mase 1st came out and had nikkas rocking loud colors. Dude was an "Opinion Leader". He was able to influence your opinion on what you wore and what you consumed by his presentation. So to complete the answer to your question, I think the general public would accept damn near whatever Kendrick wore if they brought into his story as an artist. "Swag" is when style meets confidence. If you wear what you wanna wear because you wanna wear it then it will resonate if ppl think you're fly. Jay has been an "Opinion Leader" since 98 and if the nikka were to come out and say "Throwbacks are back" 4 years ago then nikkas would've been rocking em. If 1 man has the power to create and stop the throwbacks then 1 man could have the power to create damn near any trend if the public buys into him. People are sheep for the most part. They need someone to lead them as far as fashion goes.

OG Talk

Archived
Daps
Reppin
Heaven on Earth
Yeah I definitely picked up that weren't a big fan of the music...but that it's the absolute worse music to have been released in all of hip hop in the last 6 or 7 years? The heavy focus on the pics of how people dressed and the image seemed to take precendent over the actual merits of the music here...Kanye, 2Chainz, Wiz and ASAP (and though they aren't even musically a sub-genre at all, but are just lumped together because individually, their images are too flamboyant for your tastes) is truly the absolute worse thing in hip hop musically over the better part of the decade? fukking Problem, Power and No Lie are just as bad as Laffy Taffy?

When you put it like that I can see why you could see that as a false equivalency....Snap music sounded worse and had even less creativity...

And of course Pretentious Swag Rap isn't a real sub genre.. At least not yet....Maybe one day it will have its own category at the Grammies...

But it's basically a group of artists that put much more effort in what you see then what you hear...

And why I posted pictures of the eccentric outfits is because that seems to be their deflection tactic...It's almost like the music is becoming secondary..

If I was a casual fan that looks at Wiz's cover my first thought would be

"Wow that's different. He dresses outside of the box and obviously put some thought and creativity into his look. I can't wait to hear his music.. I never see nikkas in the hood lookin like that. He seems like an individual"

*puts on the album

*15 minutes later

"Naw he's just another nikka."

* puts on some Outkast

Rominati

Legendary Poster
Daps
First song is a clear Drake biting

Second song is alright but not really "unique"

And in any case, you are talking about 1 song out of hundreds. Overall these dudes don't have very unique sounds or strong skillsets. You yourself brag about running in the same circles as ASAP so I think you might be biased towards him (which is not bad but lets call a spade a spade). I think you just called Wiz a Bigga lite :pachaha: At the minimum you know how much Bigga... *ahem*... "influenced" his sound. So naw these dudes are not original

All the dudes I named besides Keef have original sounds. Every song, good or bad, they go left and they do them. All these dudes who are hot in the game are just trend hoppers. And all their fans are trend followers who feel uncomfortable with shyt that doesn't follow protocol. The game is stangant bruh that is why I don't fukk with a lot of shyt.

Even back in the NYC mixtape days, yea shyt was derivative, but at least dudes were spitting. And back in the 90s dudes were spitting AND being original. Now people are doing neither

I see where u coming from bruh. I do think you oughta give Rocky's mixtape one go thru tho. I mean yea, sum of my mans n em are cool n down with the ASAP Mobb. But that aint the reason why I fukk with Rocky.

When cats 1st tried to hip me to em I thought he was mediocre. But then I gave his mixtape time n a thorough listen and shyt SLAPPED. I went thru the same thing with Kendrick Lamar, SchoolboyQ n the weeknd.

Cuz I mean lets keep it G here, despite how much of a fan of Biggavel I am, we both kno that most of his shyt is hit or miss. And despite how much cats try to argue against it, ASAP Rocky is original as fukk. When he came in the game NOBODY was doing what he do. Not even Lil B.

jerzboy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Let me to break this down in layman's terms...Let's say artistic creativity is a pie chart.. A lot of these artists are using 90% on the visual and 10% on the audio...I just hope a time is coming where that's flipped around...

It's almost like rap is in its hair metal band era... A lot of nikkas are wearing costumes but don't have a lot of substance behind that image...You had groups like Poison and Cinderella that were all about the presentation of metal hair and make up but made cookie cutter pop music...Then you had a group like Metallica that just wore Levis and black tees and was making classic original music...

Great example :salute:

Daps
Reppin
401 Prov City
"2 Chainz raps about selling crack and drop tops but it's different because he dresses like Boy George now"

ahahahahaha this had me dying

your right tho

these dudes aint even good tho... idc if u dress like martha stewart... if u can spit thats all the matters...but when u dress like eddie murphy from his delerious standup and are complete garbage...then wtf u doin???

G.O.A.T Squad Spokesman

Logic Is Absent Wherever Hate Is Present
Daps
Prince STILL dresses like that for the most part. How would they not know any better when they were the ones who knew what they wanted? They were the trendsetters. You sound like you're justifying what they did because they happen to be artists you liked (at least Prince and Rick James), and Rick James-- and much of hip-hop dressed like that and they were the realest nikkas out. It's not that they didn't know any better. How can you not know better than to wear clothes that fit and gear that matches? U think they were that stupid?

4x tees and baggy jeans that are worn below your underwear is not the dress code for black masculinity. If anything the baggy jeans with easy access comes from fakkit prison culture. Is that black masculinity? You're reinforcing my point. You found something you loved and thought "this is what it is and this is what it should always be." Now that it isn't, it doesn't sit well. Urban culture even at its peak had things about the fashion that looked ridiculous in hindsight. We just didn't care because it was our culture.
You don't know how I dress fam. You're insinuating or assuming I wear 4X tees when i'm wearing a 2x polo shirt as I type this. Prince is Prince and he'll never conform to the norm. You'll never see that nikka rocking no Jordan's. Black Masulinity is not dressing like a bytch. All that androgyny shyt ain't cool. I keep using the word "Androgyny" so ppl can see what they're doing. If you don't know the word then google it. Only u knows if it applies to you.

FukkaPaidEmail

Retired Hoodrat whisperer
Daps
Reppin
The Diaspora
There are some young nikkas out here making unique shyt,they're just not being pushed yet.

It's not a young vs old thing.It's a real vs fake.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
They wanna hook you in with something catchy, hip or familiar, so the flamboyant imagery prevails. Noawadays content-wise, it seems like we have:

- the "weed" guys (Spitta, Mac Miller, Wiz)
- the vintage nostalgics (Action Bronson, Joey Badass, Big KRIT)
- nostalgics with modern urbanisms (Pac Div, XV, Childish Gambino)
- the ratchet-ery (Keef and GBE, Gucci, Wacka)
- Hipster ratchet-ery (Odd Future, Lil B)
- Bleeding heart "artistes" (Kendrick Lamar, Ab and Q, Blu, Kid Cudi)
- Social media whores, safe, mainstream culture afficianados (Budden, Fab, Game, Wale)
- Low-tier mainstream basic pretentiousness, with ratchet-ery (ie. "I brag about brand names that are actually quite popular and not particularly impressive anymore like Michael Kors and Fendi") good examples are 2Chainz, Wayne, Jeezy, French Montana
- Top-tier pretentiousness with vintage Euro imagery and namedroppings that you know nothing about, and never will (Kanye and Jay being royalty, Drake stands unopposed as the new challenger)
- Baby "top-tier" pretentiousness. Immature, less accomplished versions of above. Pusha T, Big Sean and ASAP Rocky are good examples

:manny:

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
You don't know how I dress fam. You're insinuating or assuming I wear 4X tees when i'm wearing a 2x polo shirt as I type this. Prince is Prince and he'll never conform to the norm. You'll never see that nikka rocking no Jordan's. Black Masulinity is not dressing like a bytch. All that androgyny shyt ain't cool. I keep using the word "Androgyny" so ppl can see what they're doing. If you don't know the word then google it. Only u knows if it applies to you.

If you're wearing jeans, baggy or slim, below the crack of your ass, that's dressing like a bytch too. That's some prison shyt that became popular beyond them walls. Like I said, even the alternative that you kept bringing up had some ridiculous shyt that went with it.

Daps
Reppin
401 Prov City
Great example :salute:

thats why ima fan of the grunge era of rock.... it knocked that BS phony 80s hair metal shyt off the charts... and had bands in reg street clothes with actual substance and talent talkin about relatable things on a daily basis rather than them wack 80s dudes

altho i do find Eddie Money hilarious