Power Rangers Movie Thread

Benjamin Sisko

Still that resident truth-bringer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO
I hear you man. But again I feel like there are bigger fish to fry and also feel like we as a people are diverse enough where everyone can eat. If you don't like this guy there are other characters in media who can serve what you want the way you want. Plus again I don't mind the nerd shyt because I know cats like that and I guess I'm not as sensitive to it as you or anyone else. And that's cool I'm not saying you're wrong for being sensitive to it. I'm just offering another point of view.

Your argument is valid. I'm just arguing that one, there are people like that in real life whether anyone wants to admit to it and B, there are other avenues for media representation to satiate what you have a taste for. But like I said shyt has never bothered me so maybe I'm not the right person to even speak on this
Breh, it's not like black people, especially positive black males, are in every single movie that is being produced. White people have the luxory of going to the next movie after the next because if they don't like a portrayal of a white character, then their are 10 movies that has a positive, heroic portrayal of a white male/female character. Black people don't have that luxury, especially in big productions.

When there is big money involved, and there is a black man as a lead role, these white executives are NOT going to make him out as a ideal stud like they would do a white male hero. That's why we are hammering this because this IS a bad-look for the black male image and they know it. He cannot be the dark and mysterious Black Ranger like they did with the asian man, because girls like the dark and mysterious outsider character.

We have at least TWO more movies of Finn being a complete and utter jackass on screen for white cacs to laugh at and what do black people have to counter/? Madea?? Kevin Heart?? You fukking kidding me?? Yeah, im going off the subject here.

PS. BTW, I was the nerd back in middle school and was part of hte chess club and all that geeky shyt. I couldn't relate to Peter Parker at all. I do liked Egon and Donatello more and they were my favorite characters from those respective shows. This was before I grew up. I get what you are saying. But it's BIGGER then what you are saying. Because of the lack of black characters in movies in general, WE WANT more heroic black males, not cowardly sambos like FINN or awkard virgins like the Black Billy.

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
THe entire gist on your post depends on "what ifs" and not based on facts.

The fact is that the black man of the group is portrayed as the soft/nerd/virgin of the group, and these type of archetypes NEVER get ANY females, and that is THE POINT of his portrayal. THE emasculation of the black male image

People tried rationale their thinking about FINN when they have seen the trailer talking about "maybe" he'll be a future Jedi, or "maybe" he'll save the day at the end and my favorite: bu bu bu his story isn't over. While neglecting the FACTS that he was portrayed as a white woman chasing, scary ass sambo who showed no intellectual capacity at all. And teh white crackers loved it. They were bytching about his appearance BEFORE the movie, but didn't say shyt AFTERWARDS.

We, as black men, have EVERY RIGHT to be concerned about the portrayal of this black male in the movie, because HISTORY HAS SHOWN that this will not lead to ANYTHING positive. He will definitely not get any love interests in the movie, hell not even DENZEL fukkING WASHINGTON didn't get the girl in Magnificent Seven and he was the goddamn leader :mindblown: ANy other white male leader AND THE HIGHEST BILLING ACTOR, would have got the girl in the movie, except when it is a black man.

The voice of reason excuse plays along the stereptypes of a magical negroe, doing something that helps the white protagonist, nah, they can keep that. THis man will NOT be on some Peter Parker steeze, despite his flaws, PP DID get the female, as a matter of fact he did get TWO females (Felicia and MJ) while the traditional Blue Ranger did NOT receive not ONE love interest in the show. WHy? because PP is a white male and was created for skinny loser white males to boost their confidence in attracting hot females, that's why PP isn't a eunuch in the comics like say T'Challa. Why you think you see skinny, nerdy white males getting the hot chick all the time. You see this in tons of movies, like imfamouly in Disney's ATLANTIS, or the movie where the skinny loser white man brings home the thick hood, confident black chick who took his virginity in the end. The name escapes me but u get the idea.

Its a teaser trailer,of course all i have are what ifs:dahell:....for all this talk about how great zach was,i clearly remember him being corny and wack as shyt in my eyes,and always gettin beat the fukk up:mjlol:...the gist of your post pretending like you have facts based on other random movies youve seen,as if i cant name other random movies....exactly what kindve love interest do you want for him anyway:mjpls:?if anything you should be complaining they never can seem to have a black man and woman in these big budget films at the same time,black women are rarely represented.....if there is any kindve love interest in this shyt it ends up in bedwenching and bedbucking:mjlol:

You should be mad about token roles in general....the other gist of your post is "Bu bu but why didnt they make him the red ranger?"....you knew damn well the black dude wasnt about to be no damn red ranger:childplease:? Ill give yall Finn,because like other dude said,the trailer maybe did gas nikkas up thinkin he was about to be the shyt and maybe even the star,then reality hit yall:francis:

you basically complaining based on assumptions you shouldnt have had in the first place....also we have enough black "studs" who get bytches and women desire.....do we really need to see ourselves as hearthrobs on tv and movies all the time?im sorry but thats like one thing crackas cant take away from us,they could represent it on screen that way as much as they want...bjt in reality everybody knows black men are on average the coolest,most charismatic,alpha males on the planet:banderas:

But not everybody sees us,and thinks of us as smart as well,not even alot of us,so how about a change up:ufdup:.....now if they show him as weak and getting saved constantly that will be my problem....but yal luhh Zach so much thqt shouldnt be a problem for yall:scust:

sorry but showing a black man as the alpha and being the man with women its like beating a dead horse:pachaha:...we dont need to see more of what we see every day and have plenty of representations of.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Breh, it's not like black people, especially positive black males, are in every single movie that is being produced. White people have the luxory of going to the next movie after the next because if they don't like a portrayal of a white character, then their are 10 movies that has a positive, heroic portrayal of a white male/female character. Black people don't have that luxury, especially in big productions.

When there is big money involved, and there is a black man as a lead role, these white executives are NOT going to make him out as a ideal stud like they would do a white male hero. That's why we are hammering this because this IS a bad-look for the black male image and they know it. He cannot be the dark and mysterious Black Ranger like they did with the asian man, because girls like the dark and mysterious outsider character.

We have at least TWO more movies of Finn being a complete and utter jackass on screen for white cacs to laugh at and what do black people have to counter/? Madea?? Kevin Heart?? You fukking kidding me?? Yeah, im going off the subject here.

PS. BTW, I was the nerd back in middle school and was part of hte chess club and all that geeky shyt. I couldn't relate to Peter Parker at all. I do liked Egon and Donatello more and they were my favorite characters from those respective shows. This was before I grew up. I get what you are saying. But it's BIGGER then what you are saying. Because of the lack of black characters in movies in general, WE WANT more heroic black males, not cowardly sambos like FINN or awkard virgins like the Black Billy.

And like i said, you can go other places besides a comic book movie homie. There are characters in the west wing, black ish, rosewood, lethal weapon, attack the block, scandal, pacific rim (even though i still don't like the movie) the upcoming dark tower movie. If you're only keeping your view extremely narrow then you're going to be mad and see what you see. If you widen your gaze then you'll find more stuff that's what you want.

And I don't think Finn is a sambo because he had to find his courage, my Lord man. I'm sorry, I didn't know that all of us were infallible and instantly ready to do the right thing at all times. Or that we can't be scared. Guess I missed that memo on the day I was born and they were handing them out to us infants.

And so the hell what if the man is awkward? He's also a fukkin teenager. Unless you're on the set of saved by the bell or ferris bueller, most teens are awkward or feel weird or feel like an outcast in one way or another.

And then back to my main point, if i want positive black role models, I got the guy in the white house, i got congressman John Lewis, I've got Dr. Dyson, I've got Sen. Booker and the list can go on. If we're looking to tv and film for our positive role models (even though i don't think billy is a negative role model in the least) and we're grown ass men, then we lost already

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I think the comparison to Finn is wrong because the trailers made it look like Finn was the star of the movie and then Rey came in and stole all the shine.

Anyone who watched PR knows Billy put a ton of work and saved the rangers asses plenty of times. Hell we already see new Billy rigging up explosives, let the breh cook

Their operation would've lasted all of 5 min without that dude

Benjamin Sisko

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO
Its a teaser trailer,of course all i have are what ifs:dahell:....for all this talk about how great zach was,i clearly remember him being corny and wack as shyt in my eyes,and always gettin beat the fukk up:mjlol:...the gist of your post pretending like you have facts based on other random movies youve seen,as if i cant name other random movies....exactly what kindve love interest do you want for him anyway:mjpls:?if anything you should be complaining they never can seem to have a black man and woman in these big budget films at the same time,black women are rarely represented.....if there is any kindve love interest in this shyt it ends up in bedwenching and bedbucking:mjlol:

You should be mad about token roles in general....the other gist of your post is "Bu bu but why didnt they make him the red ranger?"....you knew damn well the black dude wasnt about to be no damn red ranger:childplease:? Ill give yall Finn,because like other dude said,the trailer maybe did gas nikkas up thinkin he was about to be the shyt and maybe even the star,then reality hit yall:francis:

you basically complaining based on assumptions you shouldnt have had in the first place....also we have enough black "studs" who get bytches and women desire.....do we really need to see ourselves as hearthrobs on tv and movies all the time?im sorry but thats like one thing crackas cant take away from us,they could represent it on screen that way as much as they want...bjt in reality everybody knows black men are on average the coolest,most charismatic,alpha males on the planet:banderas:

But not everybody sees us,and thinks of us as smart as well,not even alot of us,so how about a change up:ufdup:.....now if they show him as weak and getting saved constantly that will be my problem....but yal luhh Zach so much thqt shouldnt be a problem for yall:scust:

sorry but showing a black man as the alpha and being the man with women its like beating a dead horse:pachaha:...we dont need to see more of what we see every day and have plenty of representations of.
Since when did Zack get beat up?? :dahell:All the power rangers got owned at one point, what are u talking about?? :dahell:

You are in the minority when u said that Zack was corny because everybody wanted to be him in the playground. I remember he saved the day in one episode and was the best actor on the goddmann show hence a lot of screentime and subplots until TOmmy showed up. And most of all he ALWAYS HAD A GIRLFRIEND. Unlike Billy who was a eunuch (probably because the actor was gay, but regardless).

And as far as love interests goes, it really doesn't matter what type of female love interest he has, bw as a group aren't clamoring for bm's to be side-by-side black women interests, as a matter of fact they love the opposite. :mjpls: THEY HAVE THEIR REPRESENTATION ON TV, Shondra Rhimes and Issa Rae got their backs, and bw AS A GROUP love their shows (you cannot deny this) so they are not mad at the swirl factor presented in them. Black women will get theirs. THEY ALWAYS DO. And no matter who she is and what she does, as long as she is sexy and intelligent, bw will cheer and support ESPECIALLY if she has a nonblack love interest. That's why I said it doesn't matter what race she is, even though she would most likely be Latina and to a lesser extent Black as history shows IF HE HAS ONE AT ALL. I would personally prefer all-black love interests but that's not gonna happen, especially if the bw is the star. Zack had black girlfriends on the show, Jason and Tommy shared Pink ranger.

AND I AM NOT going off of "random movies", there is a TREND going on about black males and their portrayal in movies specifically by big media corporations. When was the last time you have seen the black male as the stud of the movie who gets the girls in 2016?? :dahell: What big production movie have you seen where that has occurred?? :upsetfavre: I cannot name NOT ONE movie in 2016 that has the black man getting the girl in the movie. NOT ONE.

Do bm have to be heart throbs on every movie? YES :dahell: And you right we dont need movies to get chicks, but with alll the NEGATIVE media portrayals on your LOCAL news, there HAS to be a balance to counteract this. This is where positive and intelligent black male roles come in.

Benjamin Sisko

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO
And like i said, you can go other places besides a comic book movie homie. There are characters in the west wing, black ish, rosewood, lethal weapon, attack the block, scandal, pacific rim (even though i still don't like the movie) the upcoming dark tower movie. If you're only keeping your view extremely narrow then you're going to be mad and see what you see. If you widen your gaze then you'll find more stuff that's what you want.

You are missing the point. :snoop:

And I don't think Finn is a sambo because he had to find his courage, my Lord man. I'm sorry, I didn't know that all of us were infallible and instantly ready to do the right thing at all times. Or that we can't be scared. Guess I missed that memo on the day I was born and they were handing them out to us infants.
Obviously you are not familiar with black stereotypes and where it came from.

And so the hell what if the man is awkward? He's also a fukkin teenager. Unless you're on the set of saved by the bell or ferris bueller, most teens are awkward or feel weird or feel like an outcast in one way or another.
Man look the point has went over your head.

And then back to my main point, if i want positive black role models, I got the guy in the white house, i got congressman John Lewis, I've got Dr. Dyson, I've got Sen. Booker and the list can go on. If we're looking to tv and film for our positive role models (even though i don't think billy is a negative role model in the least) and we're grown ass men, then we lost already

John Lewis :mjlol:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
You are missing the point. :snoop:

Obviously you are not familiar with black stereotypes and where it came from.

Man look the point has went over your head.

John Lewis :mjlol:

Timeout before I get to all of this you're really laughing at John Lewis now? Okay I guess marching for black rights, being imprisoned and taking beatings so you can have a better life isn't good enough for you. He should be in a comic book movie to be a real role model. My bad

Homie I'm very well versed in black stereotypes. But I also know that a character has to be a character too and not a damn thing you said is over my head so chill with that. You wanna have a discussion or you want to insult and assume? Take your pick.

I'm saying I disagree with you that doesn't mean I don't understand where you're coming from or how you feel. I see things differently. Are there black stereotypes in media? Yes. Hell yes. Is every single thing feeding into that stereotype? No. my point isn't to miss yours but to make another: the shyt you want exists. If you expect it to be on every form of media then you're playing yourself. You just are. There are black men in media who fulfill the character type you're looking for. You gotta find them rather than being upset at the shyt you do see.

And like I said, billy isn't a bad image because he's awkward. He's also brilliant and focused and a hard worker and a scientist. But that's not cool right? Okay cool. Like @wire28 said we're actually having a discussion because a black teenager is being portrayed as the smart one. You want him to not be awkward? See the movie. Maybe you'll get the character arc and growth you desire which is exactly what happened in the show. Billy became more confident when he found his niche and having his friends and saving the world gave him the confidence he didn't have before then. There's not a damn thing wrong with that and I'm willing to bet more people can identify with that.

I'm watching 13th right now and a guy interviewed said that one of the main challenges black people have always fought is being seen as complicated individuals. We're not just all thugs or broody types or caricatures. We have different shades and complexities. I know what you want homie and I'm not saying you're wrong for it. What I am saying is that there's nothing wrong with going outside of that.

stepbackj34spud

Top 75 All-Time
Daps
Reppin
BK
You dudes are still discussing this black nerd stuff? Jesus get over it. He's playing Billy, Billy was a damn nerd, what did you expect? Leave this alone and enjoy the fact that we might actually get a decent Ranger movie.

mrken12

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Maryland
as much as i dont want it to bother me..it DOES bother me that the black guy is the p*ssy ass blue ranger :francis:

even got him being bullied by the white kids and all that:stopitslime:

how we go from Zack to that?

So you'd rather have a black character in the movie who is athletic and likes to dance and still isn't the leader of the group? :skip:

Last edited:

letti cook

Superstar
Daps
So you'd rather have a black character in the movie who is athletic and likes to dance and still isn't the leader of the group? :skip:
i'd rather have a black character in the movie that aint getting head butted by white guys and standing back scared of every got damn thing.

and too your point..why is it assumed the black guy had to be the black ranger if he aint the blue. He cant be the leader? There are fan films where the black character is the leader and the pink ranger is black...