Power Rangers Movie Thread

NoGutsNoGLory

Superstar
Daps
I can't believe some people are complaining about the lightheartedness of the movie, that's the essence of the whole thing. I think they have the correct balance of seriousness and fun.

As for the black ranger I like his portrayal. I think he will be the smart quirky one who is rational and not willing to take huge risks which is a nice change of pace in my opinion.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
I definitely would NOT put Finn from Star Wars in the awkward/nerdy/soft category. He had his moments of fear but when it came time to step up he brandished a light saber twice and was ready to throw down - once against a storm trooper and then again vs a highly skilled sith prodigy.
Well, short answer is i would disagree. Long answer is a buncha points @Jello Biafra @Ziggiy and @wire28 outlined in that Star wars thread, that would be too much of a thread drift to delve into.

As far as the soft/emasculated black dude who gets his butt kicked and often needs to get saved... sure, i've seen my fair share from Finn, to Marlon in GI Joe, to Tyrese in the FF franchise... which i'd say is a bit different than simply being cast as 'smart'. Black Panther is a nerd after all, for those who know his history. Ludacris in the FF franchise is a nerd but gets strong treatment. Which goes back to i don't think the actor should be bashed nor the concept of being "smart", but i get why there would be issues with the character swap when one often got strong treatment in the show compared to the other... combined with the history of hollywood when it comes to black portrayals. edit - hell Cyborg (Justice League) is a socially awkward nerd, but the issue people have with him has nothing to do with him being super smart or socially awkward... but that, like Finn, goes into another drift

So yea, i find such things important to bring up (even if there are more important things in the universe to talk about).. and i'm glad it has been brought up and led to Black Panther and Luke Cage, plus some of the details within those shows/movies like brown/dark skinned women playing major roles.

Last edited:

OnFleekTing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DMV
OG power rangers was all about the cool soundtrack and cheese
It had to be cheesy because it was working with sentai footage of suit actors and mecha fights

This movie doesn't have to be so cheesy but I expect it to at least harken back to the OG power rangers and not just make a slightly lighter chronicle movie with PR

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
Trailer is out, they straight up Finn zoned the brotha :wow::scust: @Box Cutta @Ziggiy @loyola llothta @Northern Son
Hmm...shyt look like some Max Steel mixed with chronicles Mixed with breakfast. Club . ..... Cartoon network's straight to Live tv moive AKA Ben 10

The charcters and plot seem extremely Cliché and generic.

One of the worst trailer of 2016. Also whats with Syfy films having the black charcters being the nerd but have them seem like the most bytchass dude in the team, the only thing missing is a lollipop in homie mouth.

mrken12

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Maryland
I can't believe some people are complaining about the lightheartedness of the movie, that's the essence of the whole thing. I think they have the correct balance of seriousness and fun.

As for the black ranger I like his portrayal. I think he will be the smart quirky one who is rational and not willing to take huge risks which is a nice change of pace in my opinion.

Also all the characters are supposed to be outcasts and have notable flaws. If they didn't make him a nerd, they would have just given him some other negative stereotype like coming from a broken family or being a "troublemaker".

Superstar
Daps
I liked the trailer but I doubt this movie will be any good just cuz the director Dean Israelite hasn't done shyt besides Project Almanac which was ass (based off reviews)

HipHopStan

Top 113 Poster
Daps
Reppin
I LIVE IN A CARDBOARD BOX!
where the fukk is tommy, the world NEEDS THE GREEN RANGER/WHITE RANGER aka THE GOAT.

The sequel. Don't worry, I'm there with ya on wanting to see the Green Ranger and the Dragonzord right now, but I'm begrudgingly accepting the fact we'll probably have to wait until the sequel to see the GOAT.

dragonzord-call-o.gif

:sadcam:

EDIT - I wouldn't mind a tease or two though. :mjpls:

Last edited: