#Playstation2013, Feb 20th PS4 Announcement?

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
GDDR5 is the premier fastest video memory on the market. GDDR3 was used last gen and even in the current WiiU. It's roughly 3x faster than DDR3.

2 gigs of GDDR5 is roughly equivalent to 4 of DDR3.

It's a HUGE advantage right now of the PS4. Currently the next Xbox is setup for 8 gigs of DDR3. With next gen consoles looking to last until the start of the next decade, using old tech with DDR3 is pretty much being cheap and not looking to last long.

@Liquid @Kodie or any of the pc heads can break it down more.

I know that you guys are excited, but don't do this. The next Xbox has long had 8GB of DDR3 memory and is at parity with the PS4's memory

DDR3 memory = less latency
GDDR5 memory = faster

These are the pros and cons.

The speed of Sony's ram is 176GB/sec of bandwidth over unified ram
Microsoft's is 104GB/ + 68 GB/ of bandwidth over split pools (why not unified like the 360, I don't know) However, math tells me that number adds up to 172GB/sec of bandwidth.

Again, as I've said, Sony's move is reactionary to what Microsoft was doing. GDDR5 is expensive as fukk while Microsoft is going to be doing this for pennies on the dollar. Just watch and see when Microsoft drops their console.

Last edited by a moderator:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land

Loose

Retired Legend
Daps
I know that you guys are excited, but don't do this. The next Xbox has long had 8GB of DDR3 memory and is at parity with the PS4's memory

DDR3 memory = less latency
GDDR5 memory = faster

These are the pros and cons.

The speed of Sony's ram is 176GB/sec of bandwidth over unified ram
Microsoft's is 104GB/ + 68 GB/ of bandwidth over split pools (why not unified like the 360, I don't know) However, math tells me that number adds up to 172GB/sec of bandwidth.

Again, as I've said, Sony's move is reactionary to what Microsoft was doing. GDDR5 is expensive as fukk while Microsoft is going to be doing this for pennies on the dollar. Just watch and see when Microsoft drops their console.

you cant actually add them in the write perspective but it will read at the combined speed; also it is a cheaper and an innovative concept. if MS increases the ram of the DDR3 it will be just enough to compete for multi plats. the purpose of the setup is for innovative graphical designs. sony and MS have two different visions when it comes to graphical engines. I think people may be overestimating the direct impact an upgrade in memory capacity has on visuals, when the GPU and CPU stay exactly the same.

Prince Akeem

Its not that deep breh....
Daps
After digesting this news, I feel pretty confident in my assertion that the new xbox will lead in sales again. Sony's console will be great at gaming, Microsoft's console will be great at everything, money hats to oblivion and is the successor to the greatest selling console ever on American soil. Sony is being reactionary to Microsoft, the changing of the specs, conferences like this that are similar to what Microsoft did with MTV. The difference here is that there won't be hubris and apathy with the next xbox as there was with the ps3. I'm glad Sony is going to put up a fight, but in this new marketplace, I fear the ps4 might end up like the vita by being an awesome product but not enough market to sustain it.

Nope nintendo will always be here, a console maker will die this generation and from the looks of it , it will be sony.

If something like the PS4 was done during the height of the SNES/Genesis era, where it is purely about just gaming. The world would have stood up and applauded.

Look at everything else now. People might not use the functionality of a camera on their phone, the GPS of their tablet, etc... However, there is comfort that is there, just in case. I watch my twin daughters play on Facebook on their phones, my younger daughter stream Netflix on her 3DS, likewise with myself on my Vita. The game, for lack of a better term has changed. People never knew what they've wanted until it was placed in front of them to utilize. Microsoft has put the brightest of the brightest at Microsoft on the Xbox team for a few years now. I truly expect to be blown away feature wise by Microsoft because for most people, they don't just a gaming console, they want an entertainment console. That is what most of the market wants.

If there is one thing we learned from the ps4 reveal is that rumors should not be taken too seriously, these companies can and do make changes all the time. All we can do is wait till official info is released.

What I do want to know is what's the big difference between the two types of ram. I know gddr5 is faster. But what does that translate to in terms of real world performance. And I'm not talking about a couple less jaggies, or more detailed textures. I'm talking real world discernible differences. Will the world of GTA6 have to be smaller on Xbox if it has gddr3 memory? Will we have games running at 60fps on ps4 but only able to do 30fps on Xbox? Will developers have to create entire different games like they have to for wii?

Or does the gddr5 memory just look good on paper, but offer no big advantages, kinda like the CELL.

Can anyone here answer these questions:whoa: no fanboy

stephen-a-smith-670x52oqco.jpg

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park

I can't see the pic posted as i have filters at work, but I make no bones about preferring microsoft's systems to sony's. I'll readily admit that. However, above all, I'm a gamer and I buy everything under the sun. I can't speak for someone else but looking at what I've written, what is incorrect or something that you take issue with? I still have my $599 PS3 with BC, the premier version of the Vita. I'm not saying this to grant me 'immunity' from being called a Microsoft stan or whatever but seriously. Look outside of the bubble that you are in here, do you see how most of the general press is lambasting the PS4 announcement? Their reasons may vary, but from my perspective, I have a strong hunch I'll be right. For a lot of things that I don't typically mess with on a console, will be the reason why Microsoft should come out on top. I don't really watch movies, I use the Xbox ESPN app though nor do I even have a Facebook account. Even though I don't partake in these things, I'm not going to be ignorant to the world around and pretend that they don't do these things too. The build up and advertising campaign for the next Xbox is going to make what took place with the 360 a joke.

Slaimon Jr

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:beli: that doesn't answer my question. I've read the technical"what is the difference between gddr5/3" explanations. But I want to know how these differences will affect video game performance on home consoles.

Real world??

Being able to send data 3x the amount is a huge performace upgrade brother, meaning more things can happen on screen at one time ,more polygon count at a consistent and steady fps,...think of it as dsl vs fios connection...

IF taken advantage of correctly and microsoft doesnt improve its specs.... ur gping to start seeing games on sony that the xbox simply wont be able to do...IT WILL BE THE GO TO CONSOLE FOR MULTI-PLAT GAMES, im sorry but using old tech will only burn you

That being said...microsft is at hearrt a software company, it doesnt only come down to memory...the current xbox os using compression techniques that are pretty amazing if u ask me..... im really not sure how the pull of the gears of war games with only 512mb of memory..impressive

the systens this gen...while supporting 720p-1080p as a resolution ...the games themselves are almost always sub hd ... the minimum standard for xbox 720 could be 720p while the ps4 could be minimum 1080 p.. the new xbox is gping to have to give up something to be able to keep up

once the new resolution tvs start rolling in i think ps4 might be able to pull it off...the xbox?? no chance,

It comes down to simply this... if im a developer, i want no boundaries, i want no limitations, thats what ps4 has given them

The ps4 will be as close to pc performance that u will ever see.

Now join us.
:win::win:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Real world??

Being able to send data 3x the amount is a huge performace upgrade brother, meaning more things can happen on screen at one time ,more polygon count at a consistent and steady fps,...think of it as dsl vs fios connection...

IF taken advantage of correctly and microsoft doesnt improve its specs.... ur gping to start seeing games on sony that the xbox simply wont be able to do...IT WILL BE THE GO TO CONSOLE FOR MULTI-PLAT GAMES, im sorry but using old tech will only burn you

That being said...microsft is at hearrt a software company, it doesnt only come down to memory...the current xbox os using compression techniques that are pretty amazing if u ask me..... im really not sure how the pull of the gears of war games with only 512mb of memory..impressive

the systens this gen...while supporting 720p-1080p as a resolution ...the games themselves are almost always sub hd ... the minimum standard for xbox 720 could be 720p while the ps4 could be minimum 1080 p.. the new xbox is gping to have to give up something to be able to keep up

once the new resolution tvs start rolling in i think ps4 might be able to pull it off...the xbox?? no chance,

It comes down to simply this... if im a developer, i want no boundaries, i want no limitations, thats what ps4 has given them

The ps4 will be as close to pc performance that u will ever see.

Now join us.
:win::win:

:snoop: more fanboy mumbojumbo

Rico

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They have to because there games usually cost upwards of 100 million to make (Tru Story)

You sure about that? Because you can do MORE than that right now with Xbox Kinect.
They have a bunch of similar things. From scanning items into its mini games to use? Dancing around with puppets? They even have a game where you scan in whatever you want and force them to fight in a ring.
Kinect Labs is what its called. Me and my kids do the piano playing on the ground thing like Tom Hanks in BIG... today. Kinect Party is free on xbox.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhoITmb4518

Whats your point bruh. Here, let me announce some more games for you to act like you give a shyt about (nobody bought Infamous 2 btw)
They will announce Resistence 4, Uncharted 4, Ratchet n Clank, GT6
Are you amazed yet?

You see how sony is trying to copy kinect? Maybe you missed it
As for Final Fantasy PS4, who gave a fukk about FF PS3 :heh:
In fact, the only reason you dumbasses even cared about FF13 vs is because you THOUGHT it was exclusive. Speaking of which, how that game turn out???

How so

No, yours does. Like gamers are like "Man, if I only had a touch pad" :stopitslime:

I'll pass on the puppets. If I have a kid... and they like puppets... I'll buy them some socks. :ooh:

Mr. Somebody

Friend Of A Friend
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
:snoop: more fanboy mumbojumbo

Let me tell you in xbot language

Buy xbox 720 because it might be cheaper and the games will look close enough to being identical that it wont matter. You can play halo and new microsoft ips on 720. PS exclusives while pretty, are overrated. It doesnt matter if ps4 is so much more powerful because mutiplat games have to look similar and again, playstation exclusives are overrated.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
all of a sudden money's not an issue... after years of acting like the price of xbox live was a major issue

Mr. Somebody

Friend Of A Friend
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
all of a sudden money's not an issue... after years of acting like the price of xbox live was a major issue

Well it is. New xbox owners have to spend an extra 60 dollars on top of whatever the price of the console is as did every new subscriber who bought a 360. PS4 gonna come in with that 399 love and a lot of friends will still have hatred in their hearts if xbox comes in at 389. Lets pay for the best, not inferior hardware.