Playstation Portal Official Thread

Kaydigi

Akatsuki
Supporter
Daps
Wait a min, do you have to turn your PS5 on to play Portal?, do you have to stay in the house where your PS5 at with the same WiFi? Can you take/carry travel and play with your Portal?

It’s a remote device

Your ps5 will turn on from rest mode but not turn on your TV

PSPP runs on wifi and can run on your mobile hotspot on your phone

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
IGN said this can't be used on most public WiFi because it doesn't have a web browser to pass the accept terms and conditions page public WiFi typically requires.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
These nikkas don't care
If they put a web browser on it people would likely be able to do non-approved activities on it. I remember Apple blocked Game Pass on iPhone and a web browser allowed it anyway.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
So I got some extensive play with this yesterday, several hours, both collectively in spurts and in continuation, (about 2-3 hours in separate sessions.) and yeah, this is easily my best remote play experience. Especially when playing in house. I only got to briefly try it over mobile hotspot, literally just got it to connect to the PS5, but didn't really do much aside from move around for a second since I had to turn off quickly. But in house, it's been super smooth, even for bigger games, like God of War Ragnorak, Sonic Frontiers, DMC5 and Spiderman 2. I didn't even bother playing bigger games on the deck through remote play once I kept getting gfx glitches and artifacting for smaller games.

Latency is about as noticeable, but smooth as it was on the deck, but just with a better screen and considerably less artifacting or gfx and audio glitching, as there was practically none there, versus it being every few minutes on the Deck with smaller games while in house. I could practically never get the deck to do well with even connecting over mobile, at least at my job, which is to be expected because it's damn near a deadzone there. It'll be a true test to see if I can get this going there when I return next month. But in house, it's no comparison. And any other devices I've tried remote play in the past were just not really even serviceable for me at the time. Here tho, even with the big titles, it's very smooth and super clean looking on this pristine screen. Maybe my internet is set up more optimally now vs. then as well, but the screen and connection set up is stupid easier than previous devices for sure.

With remote play, latency is pretty much always going to be present at least in some form, but it's been only negligible at the most in my experience here over like 8 hours of play between the last couple of days. Spiderman 2, at times, felt noticeably a little slower than my experience playing on tv, but I was surprised at how well Sonic, GOWR and DMC5 felt, as they're all pretty fast pace games too and my only issue was getting acclimated to seeing these big games on a smaller screen. They all felt considerably responsive, whereas it was just felt like when you have to adjust from a screen that has near 0 or no lag to a screen that has like 20-30MS lag. It's probably a bit more than that here TBH, but I'm saying the feeling is just like a matter of adjusting to it rather than it just being bad or unplayable. It's super playable, but I'd never play competitive fighting games remotely tho, I doubt anyway. This is going to get much play while I'm at home for sure. We'll see how it goes when out and about.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
So I got some extensive play with this yesterday, several hours, both collectively in spurts and in continuation, (about 2-3 hours in separate sessions.) and yeah, this is easily my best remote play experience. Especially when playing in house. I only got to briefly try it over mobile hotspot, literally just got it to connect to the PS5, but didn't really do much aside from move around for a second since I had to turn off quickly. But in house, it's been super smooth, even for bigger games, like God of War Ragnorak, Sonic Frontiers, DMC5 and Spiderman 2. I didn't even bother playing bigger games on the deck through remote play once I kept getting gfx glitches and artifacting for smaller games.

Latency is about as noticeable, but smooth as it was on the deck, but just with a better screen and considerably less artifacting or gfx and audio glitching, as there was practically none there, versus it being every few minutes on the Deck with smaller games while in house. I could practically never get the deck to do well with even connecting over mobile, at least at my job, which is to be expected because it's damn near a deadzone there. It'll be a true test to see if I can get this going there when I return next month. But in house, it's no comparison. And any other devices I've tried remote play in the past were just not really even serviceable for me at the time. Here tho, even with the big titles, it's very smooth and super clean looking on this pristine screen. Maybe my internet is set up more optimally now vs. then as well, but the screen and connection set up is stupid easier than previous devices for sure.

With remote play, latency is pretty much always going to be present at least in some form, but it's been only negligible at the most in my experience here over like 8 hours of play between the last couple of days. Spiderman 2, at times, felt noticeably a little slower than my experience playing on tv, but I was surprised at how well Sonic, GOWR and DMC5 felt, as they're all pretty fast pace games too and my only issue was getting acclimated to seeing these big games on a smaller screen. They all felt considerably responsive, whereas it was just felt like when you have to adjust from a screen that has near 0 or no lag to a screen that has like 20-30MS lag. It's probably a bit more than that here TBH, but I'm saying the feeling is just like a matter of adjusting to it rather than it just being bad or unplayable. It's super playable, but I'd never play competitive fighting games remotely tho, I doubt anyway. This is going to get much play while I'm at home for sure. We'll see how it goes when out and about.

Is it true about games like Spiderman that if you reduce the game to 1080p and disconnect from the HDMI it lowers the latency/lag?

Walter H White

All Star
Daps
Playing MLB the Show you really feel the latency at the HOF/Legend levels. SF6 you can also feel it too. Manageable, but competitive online gaming is not happening IMO.

Play time is definitely up having a portal to complement the PS5, but this should be priced $50 cheaper at least.