Phonte - No News Is Good News (DIscussion Thread)

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
The 2nd verse on So Help Me God is fukking insane.

"Spazzing" or "bars" doesn't cover it. I honestly can't remember the last time I've heard an emcee absolutely tear a beat to shreds this way. I've listened to that song so many times that there are bars I love so much I look forward to 'em, but because I'm waiting on those I ignore the couplet before and the couplet after, then when I catch those...

Brehs, I can't deal :snoop:

I am Hugh Masakela meets Masta Killa/
Your OG's OG, just ask the nikka/
Audio slave with a master(s) mind/
Any wall of sound Tigallo vandalize/
Dog, I am no tap dancer, tip toein' audio lap dancer/
Soundin' like rap cancer metastasized/
It’s wrong, it’s cruel, it’s fukkin' infanticide/

TinFoilSnapBack

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I don’t have an issue with his crooning at all ... I like diversity in the skillset of an artist ... I’m strictly talking about the production being too light in the ass :dame: pause

Just even listen to those two songs you posted bruh ... listen to that first beat ... listen to that bass line ... listen to that grove section those drums ... you can feel that funk influence ... that shyt is still hitting even tho it’s melodic and he’s singing ... and then listen to that FE track :huhldup: that’s that quiet storm shyt that I just don’t feel ... I suppose that’s why I never really got into FE that shyt is straight up soft AF bro bro like sonically ... I feel like on this album he just took the sound of a FE album and spit on every track instead of singing ... some people obviously fukk with that but I’ve heard him over questo production and over 9th wonder production and I’m sorry bruh you can’t tell me he sounds better over these types of beats flat out :hubie:

FE is the GOAT group of the past decade. Y'all nikkas in here trippin.

TinFoilSnapBack

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
The 2nd verse on So Help Me God is fukking insane.

"Spazzing" or "bars" doesn't cover it. I honestly can't remember the last time I've heard an emcee absolutely tear a beat to shreds this way. I've listened to that song so many times that there are bars I love so much I look forward to 'em, but because I'm waiting on those I ignore the couplet before and the couplet after, then when I catch those...

Brehs, I can't deal :snoop:

I am Hugh Masakela meets Masta Killa/
Your OG's OG, just ask the nikka/
Audio slave with a master(s) mind/
Any wall of sound Tigallo vandalize/
Dog, I am no tap dancer, tip toein' audio lap dancer/
Soundin' like rap cancer metastasized/
It’s wrong, it’s cruel, it’s fukkin' infanticide/

Exactly! Talk to 'em!

Te gave nikkas GOD-TIER bars, but all they can talk about is the singing and the soulful beats. The more I engage in hip-hop discussions, the more I realize that 99% of people don't really listen to lyrics... especially the so-called "real hip-hop" nikkas.

Motife43

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL

DJ Mart-Kos

All Star
Daps
Phonte is incredible. I wouldn't call myself a true fan but i do think he's 1 of the most talented cats in the entire music game.