Phonte - No News Is Good News (DIscussion Thread)

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Mom's used to say "I was a whore just like you"
So ma, I ran through even more just to spite you
And pops, my health is doing just fine despite you
I try, so I don't die at 54 just like you

Tay out here spittin venom at his own parents:picard:

But both his verses on Cry No More are deep as fukk. My favorite track at the moment. Dude really poured his heart out on that one.
He went at his mom before too on Doin' Me.

He says they're really close, and she had him super young, so they basically talk to each other like friends almost more than mother/son and they keep it 200 with each other and he said he learned his shyt talking skills from her.He even had her do Evidence's verse in Life of Kings video when Ev missed his flight.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Well damn, my homie texted me this morning saying that he not really feeling this. Said he only feeling like 3 tracks. Said half the tracks are of him singing

Te' really singing on this too???:why:
:patrice:
That's weird. He raps on the whole project. He sings too, but there's way less of him singing than there was on Charity Starts at Home. The only song where he sings for any significant amount of time is the song with Gibbs and the final song.

But again, he's rapping hard on To the Rescue, Help Me God, Pastor Tigallo, Expensive Genes, Cry No More, Such Is Life, Sweet You, Find That Love Again, and Euphorium.

I don't get the singing complaints. Dude has literally been singing since the very first Little Brother song of all time (Speed). Even on his rap projects, he's never gonna NOT sing at all.

I'm not going at you, but I'm not sure what ppl want from this dude. He just dropped a hard ass album for 2018.

:mindblown:
I can't imagine anyone being a Phonte fan and not wanting to hear him rap and also sing. That's part of what makes him as dope as he is IMO.

Last edited:

PhonZhi

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atl, Ga by way of Alabama
:patrice:
That's weird. He raps on the whole project. He sings too, but there's way less of him singing than there was on Charity Starts at Home. The only song where he sings for any significant amount of time is the song with Gibbs and the final song.

But again, he's rapping hard on To the Rescue, Help Me God, Pastor Tigallo, Expensive Genes, Cry No More, Such Is Life, Sweet You, Find That Love Again, and Euphorium.

I don't get the singing complaints. Dude has literally been singing since the very first Little Brother song of all time (Speed). Even on his rap projects, he's never gonna NOT sing at all.

I'm not going at you, but I'm not sure what ppl want from this dude. He just dropped a hard ass album for 2018.

:mindblown:
I can't imagine anyone being a Phonte fan and not wanting to hear him rap and also sing. That's part of what makes him as dope as he is IMO.
I guess for me personally, if I wanna hear singing ill bump some foreign exchange or some Jodeci lol

But dude is one of the best with the BARS. That's what I wanna hear. personally I'm waaaaay more of a fan of his rapping than his singing.

Ima still buy and support this and hopefully the singing isn't as dominant as my boy made it seem

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Biggest issue with this album: Too short :francis:
I'm with you.

Tay is from the school of leave them wanting more.

It's been so many years though. So I would've liked another two or three joints but I'm not mad. I respect that he gets in and gets out.

A 40 minute album would've been perfect. Not too upset about it though. Sounds like he "found the love again" and will be more active now.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
I guess for me personally, if I wanna hear singing ill bump some foreign exchange or some Jodeci lol

But dude is one of the best with the BARS. That's what I wanna hear. personally I'm waaaaay more of a fan of his rapping than his singing.

Ima still buy and support this and hopefully the singing isn't as dominant as my boy made it seem
Yeah, I mean your boy is just wrong. He may not have liked the rapping but if you click the total time of rapping versus singing the difference would be huge.

CSAH had entire songs of signing and no rapping. This has none of those.

Pharoahe Monch is on social media praising the bars on this.

Most of the hooks are someone singing, whether it's him or someone else. But there's also tracks with no hook, or little interludes on the hook. But the only 2 songs with singing outside of a hook or a bridge is the song with Gibbs and the final track.

Last edited:

aceboon

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

No disrespect but your boy seems like he's not all together, this is a rap album

Bishop_BP_Jakes

Prophesying on your CD's and tapes
Daps
Reppin
3-3-6 Mafia
Yeah, I mean your boy is just wrong. He may not have liked the rapping but if you click the total time of rapping versus singing the difference would be huge.

CSAH had entire songs of signing and no rapping. This has none of those.

Pharoahe Monch is on social media praising the bars on this.

Most of the hooks are someone singing, whether it's him or someone else. But there's also tracks with no hook, or little interludes on the hook. But the only 2 songs with singing outside of a hook or a bridge is the song with Gibbs and the final track.
I had to rewind that "Hugh Masekela meets Masta Killa...." line a dozen times this morning. This nikka is putting on a rap clinic on this album

aceboon

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

DJ Harrison on the interludes, need a rapper or a singer to link up with this man for a project, shyt is long overdue