Albums Pete Rock & Common - The Auditorium, Vol. 1 (Discussion Thread) | Update : Tour Coming

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The difference between this album and Eminem’s is so glaring :mjlol: Both are basically the same age yet Common is effortless throughout the entire then over very good production and Em is mostly a try-hard over mediocre production. Em has ALC, Dr. Dre, Mr. Porter, Premo, and Fredwreck at his disposal and he still managed to shyt the bed when it comes to the beats :gucci:

How's that his fault if you don't like the beats?

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
Pretty dope so far, a couple good standouts I know I’ll come back to and Com sounds sharp.

Idk why it feels longer than it is.

White City Black

Ol’ Basquiat head ass
Daps
Reppin
Chicago's South Shore
What was so experimental about Electric Circus? I'll never understand that sentiment. But then again I was listening to Krautrock and Dub reggae and sun ra... it's a fairly tame album in my opinion.
Another way of saying Common went an unexpected direction artistically and musically :francis:

Which is actually funny considering-and I was thinking of this as I attended Comm’s excellent orchestra show here in Chicago last night-dude’s always reinvented his sound. Every album is its own “era” :manny:

head shots101

North Bronx Blocks!!!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx Blocks
The production critique's you have like sample pack usage or weak drums that is a bit subjective.i for one have no problem with packs...it's not like all the songs he produced for Nas are all from packs come on bruh..

The problem with this argument is that this all subjective to our ears lol I can't say out right your wrong about his chopping technique,drums or sample pack usage..if the final product is dope am cool and so was Nas for 6 albums probably averaging 12 songs per album....Hit boy makes several type of beats so maybe that's why he doesn't have a defined sound but hey it works for him,not just for Nas ,but the other artist he's had hits with.

Again Pete ,dilla,primo are all legends but to me hit boy did Nas justice and laid to rest nas picks bad beats( which is a gross exaggeration) and
Kept him modern without been stuck in 96
I fukks with all the Nas and hit albums ….. Nas my goat but yo listening to that alc hit Benny album showed me that hit beats are very empty

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The gap between the hip hop Common creates and the crime/Chicago Drill rap is huge.

I can't think of another Chicago rapper that came after Common that can compete with him in anyway. There are none in the trap genre. It's polar opposites.

Are there any like 30 - 40 year old Chicago rappers that are nearly as great as Common?

Like that learned from him?

Common is strong. He stepped to Ice Cube for God Sakes and performed the Cube diss live in LA!
Naledge from Kidz In The Hall:lupe:

People need to start putting some goddamn RESPECT on Black America Again
The Dreamer / The Believer:fire: too:salute:

Last edited:

Da_Eggman

Can't trust every face you gotta watch em
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So-Fla
Chicago is a extremely diverse music scene with great deep history just depends what route you take

Chief Keef and Michelle Obama for instance both grew up in o block you can see the difference paths they had

Chance was gonna be the one that was gonna be that next Common/Ye/Lupe option for chi vs drill music he just fell the fukk off