Albums Pete Rock & Common - The Auditorium, Vol. 1 (Discussion Thread) | Update : Tour Coming

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
:beli: bruh kd1 sounds nothing like 2 and 3, or magic 1....but to say they all sound the same is crazy.. to say they didn't move u that's fair .but to say they all sound same tells me u didn't listen to all of em...
Hitboy isn't an elite enough producer for his albums to sound that much different. Because all of his beats have the same cheap and thin feeling to them. That's what I'm speaking on when I say they sound the same. The way he chops his beats can also be weird and repetitive. They don't have that organic melodic feel like a Pete rock or Dilla beat. Sure there's some exceptions but overall his beats just have no character.

Magic 3's production was average as fukk. Basic ass soundpack samples. Weak ass drums. Repetitive chops. Hitboy is just not that dude. I don't care how much y'all try to force him to be. This common and Pete album has better production than all those Nas and hitboy albums combined.

bigdaddy88

The King Of Power
Daps
Hitboy isn't an elite enough producer for his albums to sound that much different. Because all of his beats have the same cheap and thin feeling to them. That's what I'm speaking on when I say they sound the same. The way he chops his beats can also be weird and repetitive. They don't have that organic melodic feel like a Pete rock or Dilla beat. Sure there's some exceptions but overall his beats just have no character.

Magic 3's production was average as fukk. Basic ass soundpack samples. Weak ass drums. Repetitive chops. Hitboy is just not that dude. I don't care how much y'all try to force him to be. This common and Pete album has better production than all those Nas and hitboy albums combined.
The production critique's you have like sample pack usage or weak drums that is a bit subjective.i for one have no problem with packs...it's not like all the songs he produced for Nas are all from packs come on bruh..

The problem with this argument is that this all subjective to our ears lol I can't say out right your wrong about his chopping technique,drums or sample pack usage..if the final product is dope am cool and so was Nas for 6 albums probably averaging 12 songs per album....Hit boy makes several type of beats so maybe that's why he doesn't have a defined sound but hey it works for him,not just for Nas ,but the other artist he's had hits with.

Again Pete ,dilla,primo are all legends but to me hit boy did Nas justice and laid to rest nas picks bad beats( which is a gross exaggeration) and
Kept him modern without been stuck in 96

Pegasus Jackson

Trump's Amerikkka
Daps
Reppin
ATLANTA ZONE 6
You know what I didn't hate it but it was too experimental for me, esp coming right after the classic which was Like Water for Chocolate and One Day It'll All make Sense

What was so experimental about Electric Circus? I'll never understand that sentiment. But then again I was listening to Krautrock and Dub reggae and sun ra... it's a fairly tame album in my opinion.

Icewatermetallik

TheEastisintheHouse
Daps
The production critique's you have like sample pack usage or weak drums that is a bit subjective.i for one have no problem with packs...it's not like all the songs he produced for Nas are all from packs come on bruh..

The problem with this argument is that this all subjective to our ears lol I can't say out right your wrong about his chopping technique,drums or sample pack usage..if the final product is dope am cool and so was Nas for 6 albums probably averaging 12 songs per album....Hit boy makes several type of beats so maybe that's why he doesn't have a defined sound but hey it works for him,not just for Nas ,but the other artist he's had hits with.

Again Pete ,dilla,primo are all legends but to me hit boy did Nas justice and laid to rest nas picks bad beats( which is a gross exaggeration) and
Kept him modern without been stuck in 96
Nah I agree though, some of Hit Boy's beats do sound kinda thin, like they ain't turned up or mastered right.

I think it's the plugins and sample packs he uses and the fact that he uses Fruity Loops.
FL is cool but most professional producers and engineers and beat makers are using more sophisticated programs like Pro Tools, Cubase or Reaper tbh.

I know 9th made FL popular but that was going on 20 years ago now.

reserved_one

#Ambivertgang
Daps
Reppin
So.ILL/Raider Nation
I bumping this album right now and I’m pleasantly surprised :ehh:

Not that I was expecting this to be wack or anything but Common hasn’t lost a step yet and still sounds sharp.

Pete Rock did a great job on the production side. I didn’t expect the beats to sound so lively and fresh. It doesn’t sound old, dusty and dated at all.

Props to the both of them.

Crumple

All Star
Daps
The gap between the hip hop Common creates and the crime/Chicago Drill rap is huge.

I can't think of another Chicago rapper that came after Common that can compete with him in anyway. There are none in the trap genre. It's polar opposites.

Are there any like 30 - 40 year old Chicago rappers that are nearly as great as Common?

Like that learned from him?

Common is strong. He stepped to Ice Cube for God Sakes and performed the Cube diss live in LA!

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
The gap between the hip hop Common creates and the crime/Chicago Drill rap is huge.

I can't think of another Chicago rapper that came after Common that can compete with him in anyway. There are none in the trap genre. It's polar opposites.

Are there any like 30 - 40 year old Chicago rappers that are nearly as great as Common?

Like that learned from him?

Common is strong. He stepped to Ice Cube for God Sakes and performed the Cube diss live in LA!

Lupe Fiasco is the only one

Crumple

All Star
Daps
Lupe Fiasco is the only one

Ah, how could I forget Lupe. You're right.

Common literally represents high art and greatness on all levels, and part of Chicago Drill represents the foulest, most backward depravity.

I didn't even finish the album yet.

That joint "This man" just wrecked my brain. Rhymes, voice, production. And to think him and Pete sound this incredible this far into their careers.

Man.

Malcy86

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Glasgow
With the album being so brilliant, it really doesn’t feel like a 60 minute project…just flys by like that… :whew:

It’s really going to take something special to top this in the next few years let alone remainder of this year.
It’s the most I’ve listened to a new hip hop album in years. Playing it constantly and put the radio on when making breakfast yesterday and they were playing ‘Dreamin’.