Albums Pete Rock & Common - The Auditorium, Vol. 1 (Discussion Thread) | Update : Tour Coming

Tommy Gibbs

All Star
Daps
Has there even been 10 albums released this year? :dahell:
yes haha. Man, there are about 6-8 albums released each week haha. Especially during the summer, it's been crazy. This isn't the 90s or 2000s. Mfers are completing albums in their homes and releasing them online with no promotion. There were 13 hip hop albums alone released this week!!!! :russ:

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Album just gets better. On my first listen I liked it but felt there were too many tracks that bled together lyrically - lots of peace/love/prosperity raps but not enough conceptional or shyt talking tracks mixed in. But on subsequent listens the balance feels solid.

One thing that the album really has me thinking about is how hard it is for established artists to to create music people genuinely want to hear 20-30+ years into their career. Typically when you go to a legend's concert you expect to hear the classics - hits, classic deep cuts, etc. A few artists have managed to add to their pantheon late in their career but it's rare. For instance Stevie Wonder has These Three Words and Gotta Have You, which came out nearly 30 years after his first hit, and are now classic staples of his shows. The Rolling Stones have Thru and Thru, which came out in 1994 yet is a classic song you'd expect to hear at a concert. This Common/Pete Rock album has multiple tracks that would sound super comfortable in between his classics live. Dreamin', This Man, Now And Then...shyt just sounds GOOD. Some of these tracks feel like they could have been on Be.

The beats/production are key because the sound is timeless. The layers on these beats man...this shyt gonna be beautiful live. The bass, the snares etc. There's nothing on this album (production wise) that a Common fan from 30 years ago would say "this isn't for me." Usually when I hear "throwback" shyt it feels tired or regressive but this shyt feels alive. The beats jump off the record with a lot of vigor.

Tommy Gibbs

All Star
Daps
Album just gets better. On my first listen I liked it but felt there were too many tracks that bled together lyrically - lots of peace/love/prosperity raps but not enough conceptional or shyt talking tracks mixed in. But on subsequent listens the balance feels solid.

One thing that the album really has me thinking about is how hard it is for established artists to to create music people genuinely want to hear 20-30+ years into their career. Typically when you go to a legend's concert you expect to hear the classics - hits, classic deep cuts, etc. A few artists have managed to add to their pantheon late in their career but it's rare. For instance Stevie Wonder has These Three Words and Gotta Have You, which came out nearly 30 years after his first hit, and are now classic staples of his shows. The Rolling Stones have Thru and Thru, which came out in 1994 yet is a classic song you'd expect to hear at a concert. This Common/Pete Rock album has multiple tracks that would sound super comfortable in between his classics live. Dreamin', This Man, Now And Then...shyt just sounds GOOD. Some of these tracks feel like they could have been on Be.

The beats/production are key because the sound is timeless. The layers on these beats man...this shyt gonna be beautiful live. The bass, the snares etc. There's nothing on this album (production wise) that a Common fan from 30 years ago would say "this isn't for me." Usually when I hear "throwback" shyt it feels tired or regressive but this shyt feels alive. The beats jump off the record with a lot of vigor.
I can't wait to read the credits because I want to know where this was recorded and who mastered it. I wish this shyt was already out on cd and vinyl. I added "trying" to the album on my ipod(YES IPOD hahaha)
ipod.jpg

Pack2

..Pack2..
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Pete Rock truly one of the GOATs
He might be an a$$hole on social media with his tinfoil hat shyt or maybe even in real life he’s an a$$hole I don’t know.
But one thing we do know is PR makes beautiful beats, the layers are :ohlawd:
There’s a reason Dilla looked up to this man and to see him making beats at this level still is incredible.

I also love the signature Pete Rock 30 second outros he blessed us with on most of these tracks. Brings me back to when I’d listen to any PR and CL album and even when you know the verses are done and song is coming to a close, you don’t skip to the next track. You let that shyt ride out bc you know you might get blessed with a dope beat and you don’t want to miss it. Then some 30 second outro comes on that you wish lasted 3 minutes so you and your boys can freestyle over it :wow:

Last edited:

ShaDynasty

Chaos Theory Part 1 - The Album
Daps
Pete Rock beats are fire. Common is one of them rappers who doesn't do much for me lyrically (I just like his older albums) but when he has beats this good I can listen.

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
This one of the better albums of the year. The production holds up better than the lyrics though. Common be having some cringe ass metaphors sometimes but I’m fukking with it lol.

I heard a few lines on this that were wild corny, but Common is 33+ years in. He's trying to stay clever and push for those metaphors.

But there were some that he should've just left alone. LOL!! He's still Top 10 all-time though.