Persona 5 (PS4, PS3)

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Can anyone give me a run down on the Persona gameplay/series in general in a couple of sentences?
Wiki didn't tell me much at all and I have no idea what the hell any of this is about.
Is this series an open world sim set in a high school?
Is it Linear?
Decision "choice" based gameplay, or is the story etched in stone and the player simply enjoys the ride?
:huh:

You just gotta play it breh. It's impossible to convey the entire experience of the game in a sentence because it's honestly very long. It's a crime imo to have a Vita and skip this game. It's one of the best JRPGS ever.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Persona 5 protagonist’s first Persona is Arsene

Plus, first details on the game's new dungeon philosophy.

P5-Details-Init_02-09-15.jpg

Famitsu this week has new details on Persona 5 following its gameplay trailer debut last Thursday.
The main character is a second year student who moves to the big city during spring. He lives with friends of his parents at the coffee shop they run. That said, the game takes place in urban Japan, across areas such as Shibuya.
The protagonist has a problem of some sort that, if not faced down, could spell big trouble in the future. The scene in the trailer where he appears to be a prisoner is a “mental prison,” so to speak.
The dungeon shown off in the trailer isn’t randomly generated. Such major places in the storyline are designed to play up the burglary motif and have special gimmicks. But that doesn’t mean randomly generated content is gone from the game altogether.
While a Social Link option seemed to be missing from the game’s main menu in last week’s trailer, a Social Link-like system is seemingly in the works (perhaps the “Cooperation” option?).
As far as Personas go, the protagonist’s first Persona is called Arsene (a subtle nod). The sound characters make when summoning Personas is no longer a “ka!” but rather a “buchi!”
Persona 5 is due out for PlayStation 4 and PS3 later this year.

Daps
Reppin
I am NOT a sex offender
Yaaaaay social links!

I'm still curious if you'll be contacting demons/persona like in the earlier persona games seeing that there's no shadows or anything. Actually I'm more curious how a cat burglars wind up fighting demons in the first place.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I guess I can deal with randomly generated dungeons if they're structured a bit better and have things in it to spice it up. Persona 3's tartarus was a HUGE offender and I couldn't stand trekking through floor upon floor of mazes fighting shadows and shyt. Persona 4 improved it a bit with different settings per dungeon as opposed to the one huge dungeon with hundreds of floors like Tartarus although at some point in P4's dungeons you'd run the chance of getting exhausted quickly.

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
While a Social Link option seemed to be missing from the game’s main menu in last week’s trailer, a Social Link-like system is seemingly in the works (perhaps the “Cooperation” option?).
:martymarcmon:

They better have revamped the calendar system then. And make phases of the moon mean something again :sadcam:

Daps
Reppin
I am NOT a sex offender
An interview in this week’s issue of Famitsu magazine reveals that anime studio Production I.G. (Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex) are working on the anime cutscenes for Persona 5. (Thanks, Sokuho@Hokanko)

Speaking with Persona 5 producer and director Katsura Hashino, and character designer Shigenori Soejima, Famitsu have a few other details revealed in their report as well, starting with the game’s protagonist.

Soejima says that while the protagonist of Persona 5 may appear to be the quiet type from what we’ve seen of him so far, this is a ruse of some sort. Meanwhile, his Persona, Arsene, is meant to give off a more oldschool vibe, visually speaking. Arsene’s cape (wings?) is designed to convey the image of a thief that can go to places out of others’ reach.

Hashino reveals that the main character meets Anne and Ryuji, the other two characters in the trailer, at the start of the game. All three characters have problems of their own, although just what their problems are is not specified. It is hinted at in the Famitsu feature that both the protagonist and his friends have lost their homes.

Persona 5’s protagonist also runs into the cat character, Morgana, at the start of the game, and Morgana is said to play an important role in the story. It has the ability to transform.

As far as the battle system goes, Hashino confirms that Persona 5 will once again have turn-based battles, but that the team has incorporated several changes to make it more enjoyable. Hashino also mentions that each character carries a distinct “gun” that serves as their ranged weapon. These aren’t actual guns, though, even though they can be used in battle.

As reported earlier today, Persona 5 will still feature randomly-generated areas, but that certain areas in the game are specifically designed with the thief motif in mind. A Social Link-like feature will be present as well, although details on this front have not yet been announced. If you’re hungry for more news on the game, you can read up on director Katsura Hashino’s thoughts on it in this post.

Prince Luchini

Stay dolo so thorough
Daps
Glad social links are back in some form. I like how P5 mc has more personality and flaws than minato and yu. Maybe because his problems are more mental is the reason why he turns into his persona instead of it being a separate entity.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
  • Protagonist - The article kicks off with the headline, “Steal back the future!” The protagonist gains his Persona after a certain incident unfolds and confronts a great darkness enveloping the city.
  • Story – The protagonist and friends attend Shujin Academy, a private high school. (The name is a play on the Japanese word for prisoner, shuujin.)
  • Setting - Gameplay predominantly takes place in Shibuya. As those who read Japanese may have already spotted in the trailer, the name is rendered in kanji on the sign during the subway station scene, making it plausible the game takes place in Tokyo proper. The atmosphere of the game will feature elements to give it the feeling of big city life, like packed train platforms full of commuters.
  • Awakening - The magazine “theorizes” that the scene with blue flames enveloping the protagonist in last week’s trailer is him awakening to his Persona and another side of himself that’s greatly different from his public demeanor. Blue flames are believed to turn into masks.
  • Lesson (Classes) - Student life alive and well, and calendar and weather systems also return.
  • Prisoner - The prison motif seen in the trailer is believed to be in relation to Picaresque Romance motif Hashino discussed earlier.
  • Hideout - Judging by appearance, it is likely that it’s the cafe the protagonist lives in.
  • Student by Day, Thief by Night - Nights are for dungeon crawling as cast puts on their masks, seemingly in search of a specific something to steal.
  • Sneak - As in Persona 3 and Persona 4, battles use a symbol encounter system, meaning you can see enemies on screen and engage in battle by colliding into them. Players can avoid enemy contact by sneaking around in order to proceed, though.
  • All-Out Attack - The gang-up footage in trailer is confirmed to be return of the All-Out Attack system. It likely still relies on exploiting enemy weaknesses to trigger.
  • Mask – Characters wear their masks during dungeon crawling, and they’re likely a key item story-wise during those segments, too.
  • Cooperation - The magazine speculates that the Cooperation menu option is the system replacing Social Links involving getting closer to allies.
  • Arsene - The protagonist’s Persona. It has black wings and red getup.
  • Sound - Shoji Meguro’s soundtrack is set to be acid jazz this time around.

Read more at http://gematsu.com/2015/02/dengeki-...sona-5-details-full-scans#V3yQeoatFU31WTYA.99

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I kinda wish that instead of high school, they'd have the characters be based in a college dorm though. My only minor grip about the news of the new title.
Ehh, doesn't matter to me as they look like actual high school students in this one. In the previous personas, the in game character models were all short and young looking which made it look like middle schoolers. This time around they actually have a more adult look.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Ehh, doesn't matter to me as they look like actual high school students in this one. In the previous personas, the in game character models were all short and young looking which made it look like middle schoolers. This time around they actually have a more adult look.

All the more reason that college could've work as well. Plus, considering how much bigger colleges are than high school and all the hijinks at play there, I think they could've just gotten even more new stuff incorporated in it.

Nephilim_BC

Murikkka
Daps
Day One. :blessed:
This is going to give Xenoblade Chronicles a run for its money for the title of best JRPG of last gen.
Ni No Kuni and Lost Odyssey are both better than Xenoblade

The PS3 version should have been canned imho.
Naw. Ps3 never got a version and P3 and P4 both came out when the ps3 was out. If anything the ps4 version should be canned, but both systems getting it is cool.