Persona 5 (PS4, PS3)

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Looks dope AF
Glad they are shying away from social links. That waifu shyt from some the fans was unbearable
Hopefully this is slightly more serious like the first two Persona games

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm copping a 3DS XL sometime this year with Persona Q and SMT IV.
Shin Megami Tensei 4 is absolute piff once the game opens up and I hope they bring over the "smirking" system to Persona 5 unless they developed a brand new combat system for the game

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Featured in Forbes

Latest 'Persona 5' Trailer Is All Kinds Of Slick And Stylish

persona5_trailer.jpg

Atlus have finally released a longer and more in depth trailer for their upcoming Persona 5, which is another entry into the long running and very successful Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. As you’d expect, it’s a wonderfully slick and stylish game to behold.
Set around the plight of plucky Japanese high schoolers, it also deals with their extra-curricular activities of fighting against the societal system, with one of the main playable characters acting as a “phantom thief”.
Directed by series veteran, Katsura Hashino he’s already been quite open about how Lupin III inspired the new gentleman robber angle. So it’s already clear that stealth will play a key part in the game, especially in the reveal of what appear to be high speed cover mechanics.
Visually the game is looking very competent and shows off a fair few locations in Shibuya, so it’s clear that the game will be set in a relatively modern day Tokyo.
The art direction, again by Shigenori Soejima, also looks fantastic. The characters all have a unique style to them and he’s really helped to define the series in this way over the years.
As an aside, Sega recently reported that they are pulling out of console games. As Atlus is owned by them people were worried that they too might have current console projects cancelled. Thankfully that hasn’t happened and it seems that Atlus will have more autonomy over their running than was previously thought. Either way, I am hoping that Persona 5 won’t be affected by any of this.
Set for a release this year on both PS3 and PS4, there was also a rumor of a Vita version as well but that doesn’t seem to have surfaced. That said, there has been an announcement of a rhythm game in the form of Persona 4: Dancing All Night and that is on Vita and set for a June release this year in Japan. It’s likely the rumor of a Vita version of Persona 5 was confused with this game.
In any case, Persona 5 is looking really great and it’s nice to see Japanese developers still making sizeable console games.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Persona 5 stars delinquents, was partially inspired by Lupin The Third

Persona 5 stars a pack of anti-heroes who may have a rather casual approach to property laws.
persona_5_1.jpg

Persona Team is finally ready to talk about its latest baby, releasing the first Persona 5 gameplay footage earlier today.
Reading between the lines of information released so far, somehave speculated that the game’s protagonists are delinquents – and thieves. According to director Katsura Hashino, that’s a pretty fitting assesment.
“One of the things that inspired us to make this question to begin with was how, say, a classic, iconic thief in the vein of Lupin III might win the hearts and minds of people in today’s day and age if they were out running around today,” Hashino told Famitsu in an interview translated by Gematsu.
“There have been a lot of books and films over the years that explored the sorts of lives that thieves live, but that’s not ground that’s very well covered in games.”
“There have been a lot of books and films over the years that explored the sorts of lives that thieves live and how they’re able to shake up the world with what many would perceive to be sheer brazenness, but that’s not ground that’s very well covered in games and we intend to rectify that.
“We want our players to be able to empathize with these characters and enjoy seeing what they get themselves into and we’re giving it everything we’ve got to make sure that comes through loud and clear in the final game.”
Elsewhere in the interview, Hashino described the group as “high school punks who are trying to bite back at a world that’s trying to pin them down”, and mentioned that he hopes the game gives people “a little courage to keep going in their day to day lives, to face things head on and do something with themselves”.
“I don’t think it’s a stretch to say in this day and age that there are a lot of people out there who feel like they aren’t moving forward, that they have no future, and carry a lot of weight on their shoulders every day,” he said.
“They’re stuck between a rock and a hard place, emotionally speaking; on the one hand, they might not be keen on living by the same rules and values that defined previous generations, while still lacking the will to go out and actually break those barriers down themselves. That dark side of society is a central pillar to the game we want to make with Persona 5.”
“In previous Persona games, the stories revolved around pretty traditional heroes. The protagonists of Persona 5 themselves are on the run for doing what they think is right after something happens completely out of the blue.”
Heavy stuff – and very much in Persona’s vein. Also explains the ball and chain key art pieces released early on. Hashino elaborated in a letter posted on the Persona Channel.
“In a nutshell, if I were trying to explain what this game is trying to evoke, I’d say it’s like if you took something like a picaresque novel and then threw in, for lack of a better word, realistic, down to earth ‘academy juveniles,’” he said.
“In previous Persona games, the stories revolved around pretty traditional heroes going after villains that most anyone one would be loath to associate themselves with; they pursued the bad guys for the sake of justice, essentially. This time around, though, the protagonists of Persona 5 themselves are on the run for doing what they think is right after something happens completely out of the blue.
“That mixture of thrills and not-so-larger-than-life cast of characters is what composes the idea of ‘academy juveniles’ for us. We think that these characters are going to be a little rougher around the edges than those who have come before them in the series.”
These new comments follow a producer’s letter published to the Atlus website.
Atlus parent Sega said it’s getting out of the console business, but it has also always said it will let Atlus run as a near-autonomous unit, so here’s hoping this won’t be the last Shin Megami Tensei games we see.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Note:Article is over 1 year old.
In an interview in a recently-published issue of the Persona magazine, Persona series director Katsura Hashino discusses Atlus’ thematic approach to Persona 5. Tumblr blog PepsimanGB has translated the interview, and you can find it here.

The interview begins with Hashino being asked what the teaser image for Persona 5 (above) is supposed to signify.

“It’s going to be a while yet before we’re ready to put out the game proper, but I think that image at least reassures people that there is something definitely coming along,” Hashino replies.

He continued: “To answer your question more directly, I feel that in today’s world, there’s no shortage of people that are bored and discontent with their lives. They’re at a dead end, chained down to a world of which they resent being a part. Persona 5, in that sense, is a game about freedom, the kind that those sorts of people haven’t had living in the real world.”

“I want them to be able to attain that sensation by playing through the game. Looking at it from that angle, I’d say that the image depicts the wait that must be endured for that moment of freedom to arrive.”

Regarding what kind of game Persona 5 will be when it is released, Hashino says that people that have played Persona 3 and Persona 4 should “feel right at home” with Persona 5. That having been said, Hashino wishes for the new game to be more “thematically approachable” than its predecessors.

“The characters in this game, through sheer force of will, are out to destroy that which suffocates people in today’s society and, again, keeps them chained down in place,” he shares. “I want players to come away from the game feeling like they have that power to take on the world around them and keep going in life.”

:mjcry:

Killer Instinct

To live in hearts we leave behind is to never die.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO
Can anyone give me a run down on the Persona gameplay/series in general in a couple of sentences?
Wiki didn't tell me much at all and I have no idea what the hell any of this is about.
Is this series an open world sim set in a high school?
Is it Linear?
Decision "choice" based gameplay, or is the story etched in stone and the player simply enjoys the ride?
:huh: