Parasite (2019 Palme d'Or winner and The Film Room top movie of the year) - directed by Bong Joon-ho

Baka's Weird Case

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Goon Squad - Catset
oh im fukkin hyped for this shyt :takedat:

Kind of crazy how far ahead Korean cinema is compared to China. Seems like China has stagnated to mostly martial arts spectacles and haven't evolved much past that or maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.
theres a lot more chinese cinema in general, and the majority of it is martial arts spectacles or cheap imitation blockbusters.

that being said i think you are looking in the wrong place theres a lot of great chinese movies still being made.

An Elephant Sitting Still is excellent if you have the time to sit for its 4-hour length (the director went to Bela Tarr’s school, made the film and committed suicide a few days after finishing it. You can see the Tarr influence clearly.)

Jia Zhangke still putting in work too.

Daps
Mostly because it starts out as a really great and intriguing movie, and then like so many Korean movies, it takes such a twisted turn into something so far removed from its beginning that you feel part disappointed because you have this curiosity for what would have happened if it played straight
I just watched this last night. This is how I feel. I think I may have preferred if he played the movie straight.
The ending seemed a little tacked on to me.

Last edited:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
The Witch: Part 1 - The Subversion

Not sure if they're already available or not outside of Korea though.

This one is out on torrents with subs.

It's actually a super hero flick. Plot got a bit too convoluted but over all I liked it.

Fred.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Just finished watching this.
Was dope but a bit too long. But very well made and the tonal shift was :huhldup:

Fred.

Th3G3ntleman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just saw this....can see why it won awards. That shift happen fast and pretty quickly. Really enjoyed it.
One thing that I kind of looked at funny style was the rich dudes reaction after the crazy dude got stabbed in the side by the mother. Was a little too on the nose for me. Dude rolled him on the side to get the keys and run away? Showing his lack of concern of the lives of the poor folks making the pops snap? A bit too heavy on that.

Daps
Can anyone tell me
why the housekeeper's husband stabbed the woman of the house? I get that he was upset about his wife, but I thought he had an allegiance to the owner of the house as well as the architect. (Respect) That is why I really didn't like the ending. He just randomly stabs the guy's wife. Was he also acting out because of the inequality?
My favorite part was when the grifter family finally escaped the mansion and had to do the long run/walk down from the hills straight into the ghetto - and all the misery. That was some great cinematography.

Th3G3ntleman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Can anyone tell me
why the housekeeper's husband stabbed the woman of the house? I get that he was upset about his wife, but I thought he had an allegiance to the owner of the house as well as the architect. (Respect) That is why I really didn't like the ending. He just randomly stabs the guy's wife. Was he also acting out because of the inequality?
My favorite part was when the grifter family finally escaped the mansion and had to do the long run/walk down from the hills straight into the ghetto - and all the misery. That was some great cinematography.

Dude was for the most part in solitary confinement for 4 years. There is quite a bit of evidence that dude was off. Plus his wife died. I didn't find it weird tbh dude was looking first for members of the Kim family and once he got a couple of them started slashing up anyone he could find.

Figaro

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 36 Chambers
giphy.gif

Baka's Weird Case

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Goon Squad - Catset
just started watching bong’s movies in preparation and :damn::damn::damn:

memories of murder :ohlawd: maybe the best detective movie ive ever seen

the host :ooh: easily the best monster movie ive seen

everything ive seen from him so far been perfect. this dude might be the best director alive right now.

and why aint nobody tell me how funny memories of murder gets?
the constant jump kicking :mjlol: