Parasite (2019 Palme d'Or winner and The Film Room top movie of the year) - directed by Bong Joon-ho

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
Chinese cinema is very blockbuster and public oriented because the movie crowds there really go to the movies for escapism. Korea is very conservative and has a very dark side to society, which really comes through in their films and gives it that unique edge.

Thx for that insight breh, explains a lot. I'm a fan of SK movies but don't know enough about it/the country.

Anyways y'all go watch the movie and I would say don't even watch the trailer, just go. Loved it.

Daps
I want to check this one out in October. I have never seen one of his movies in the theater before.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
For those who know where to look, it's out with good subs (there's also a shytty Google Translate subs version, stay the fukk away from that one).

I just watched it and it's very hard to progress what exactly I just watched. Mostly because it starts out as a really great and intriguing movie, and then like so many Korean movies, it takes such a twisted turn into something so far removed from its beginning that you feel part disappointed because you have this curiosity for what would have happened if it played straight while simultaneously keeping your eyes glued to the screen as the movie that's playing before your eyes is still every bit as brilliant as it can be.

One thing Bong Joon-ho absolutely nails here is the satirical social commentary. I think it'll play well for most audiences since class warfare is of all times and cultures, but as someone who's had his own experiences with South Korean culture, I can definitely say that Bong captures the social divide of the country perfectly. Of course it's assisted by brilliant camerawork and performances, creating that unique skin-crawling atmosphere only Korean cinema can pull off convincingly.

The axe murderer

For I am death and I ride on a pale horse
Daps
For those who know where to look, it's out with good subs (there's also a shytty Google Translate subs version, stay the fukk away from that one).

I just watched it and it's very hard to progress what exactly I just watched. Mostly because it starts out as a really great and intriguing movie, and then like so many Korean movies, it takes such a twisted turn into something so far removed from its beginning that you feel part disappointed because you have this curiosity for what would have happened if it played straight while simultaneously keeping your eyes glued to the screen as the movie that's playing before your eyes is still every bit as brilliant as it can be.

One thing Bong Joon-ho absolutely nails here is the satirical social commentary. I think it'll play well for most audiences since class warfare is of all times and cultures, but as someone who's had his own experiences with South Korean culture, I can definitely say that Bong captures the social divide of the country perfectly. Of course it's assisted by brilliant camerawork and performances, creating that unique skin-crawling atmosphere only Korean cinema can pull off convincingly.
What dope korean movies are out there this year? I'm getting into more of em

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
What dope korean movies are out there this year? I'm getting into more of em
Some recent movies I'm hearing positive things about:

The Gangster, The Cop, The Devil
The Great Battle
The Witch: Part 1 - The Subversion

Not sure if they're already available or not outside of Korea though.