Paper Mario: The Origami King

the_FUTURE

Superstar
Daps
my final verdict of this game once im done will probably be a 6.5/7 mainly due to how they're babying me.

StarClout

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Broncos/NYY/NYR/ALA
Yup.

Nintendo was RAPING publishers and developers with cartridges and their royalty fees.

CDs were extremely cheaper to make and Sony's royalty fees were also substantially lower
Crazy how Miyamoto made dumbass decisions like these which basically handed Sony the market and still kept his job, yet Gunpei Yokoi (Game Boy creator) was shown the door after the Virtual Boy bombed lol

Cyber

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Tennessee
I'm really enjoying this game so far after not feeling it initially, I'm probably about halfway through. It felt like a chore going through the battles initially but they're pretty enjoyable now. There are some perks later on that improve the experience for me

I can't imagine it has the same charm as TYD/SMRPG.
It doesn't have that Mario charm but so far it has a charm of it's own

Wasn't expecting that from a game about bugs but they pulled it off, it's 100% the PM1/2 spiritual sequel we've been waiting for

the_FUTURE

Superstar
Daps
I'm really enjoying this game so far after not feeling it initially, I'm probably about halfway through. It felt like a chore going through the battles initially but they're pretty enjoyable now. There are some perks later on that improve the experience for me

It doesn't have that Mario charm but so far it has a charm of it's own

Wasn't expecting that from a game about bugs but they pulled it off, it's 100% the PM1/2 spiritual sequel we've been waiting for

I felt the same. But I'm trying to do the first boss battle before seeing if this game is truly trying to baby me. Like after the enemy attacks me sometimes and I'm then when I think I'm in a disadvantage state, they just jump and line themselves up. Like I didn't need y'all to do that :mjlol: let me earn the victory.

the_FUTURE

Superstar
Daps
faced the first boss and just felt silly. How I keep acting like acting like there's an arrow in front of me and then I just finish my turn. :snoop:

I love puzzles in games too.

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
Started playing it. And it is really fun. Granted I feel like eventually, the combat will get repetitive. But the puzzle element is a lot better then I thought it would be. The narrative and writing so far are up to the Paper Mario standard.

On another note, I never realized how trash JoyCons are. I only used them for Mario Odyssey, but movement problems are aggravating. The difference between JoyCons and Pro Controllers is staggering.

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
Finished it up tonight. The story, writing, and exploration in this game is actually pretty damn good. The issue is the combat in the boss battles especially later on becomes a nuisance with two ones being an exception. Where IMO is bad game design.

The two boss fights that highlight this for is the final form of the final boss and the Ice Vellumental. In the Ice Vellumental fight, you need to reorganize the tiles but there is only one correct path to take. The issue is that one of the icons gets iced meaning that it isn't accessible. It gets really annoying and if you are super low on HP it basically becomes a guaranteed game over since it might become impossible to get the On icon and 1000 arms icon in the same turn.

The other is the final boss from where you need to rearrange all the tiles in the picture format that was shown earlier. The problem is you are heavily against the clock. Problem was that you need to have the image be in the mirror image and then reverse it. But considering that this is the first time in the whole game that you get this puzzle this can really frustrate new players.

No doubt this is a fun 20-hour game. But I don't think it is worth it unless it is on sale on the eShop. I would rate it a 6/10 Honestly, it is a shame that the combat brings down the experience because the story is so charming. It follows the pattern of Sticker Star and Color Splash where there is very little incentive do engage in combat. If they had this as a platformer like Super Paper Mario it would be at least an 8-8.5/10.