Ozark - (Official Season 1 Thread)

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Brehs, is this dope? I wanted to start this yesterday, but I've only got 1 more episode to catch up completely on Better Call Saul, and then I'm starting this. I heard good things about it. Is it like Bloodline? More hardcore? I saw The Gift and I think Bateman has some solid dramatic chops. I should be able to start this tonight or tomorrow.

Can someone quote this and say without spoilers whether this is dope or not?
I wanted to like the show, but there's too much shyt going against it.

If Breaking Bad, The Wire, and Justified are top shows, Ozark is levels beneath them.

JahBuhLun

Graphic Alchemist
Daps
the way when it starts the O has different pictures in it is dope...buncha plot holes and rushed pace as many have pointed out , but i rock with it..
Yeah, the icons at the start of each episode is a nice concept. Some of the drawings are crude, so you can't really tell, but each one relates to something in the story.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
After Bateman's performance in "The Gift", I thought this show would be incredible television, I was so impressed by his work in that movie, and the tone, premise, and production of the show seemed perfect. I checked out about 30 min into the second episode, I doubt I'll watch the rest for now. The script writer for "The Accountant" is responsible for this, for the most part, which just is at once inspiring and frustrating to see such poor writing get praise and placement.

The writing doesn't let Bateman do much, he hasn't done before. "The Gift" there was a real coiled edge of menace and evil to his performance, that's not here. He's abrasive, and sharp tongued, but there's no edge to it. The supporting performances are very good, esp. Linney. The writing is where the real issues rise....from the first 15 minutes or so, I saw the hackneyed writing on the wall.

The writers would have been well served to actually read up on money laundering in Chicago and elsewhere, I've actually read at least 3 hundred page criminal complaints out of Chicago and Miami detailing how Sinaloa cash is washed. Fascinating, yet nowhere near the kind of hamfisted, over the top nonsense the show traffics in from the first episode.

-The drug boss enforcer straight out of an 80's thriller, debonair and charming, sadistically cruel. Right.

-The very method of money laundering/business relationship is not really efficient or viable for the kind of work that's done, nor is it believable.

-The warehouse scene. Because all those suave enforcers have access to a giant industrial warehouse to execute and boil people in acid.

Are we really expected to believe that after that outlandish performance they would let a white, non spanish speaking civilian, who watched his best friend and business partner be executed leave? On his word. Sure. One scene of absolute bullshyt compounded by another. 500 million dollars? Stop. How are they getting all this money to the Ozarks? A sleepy backwater town. Just drive it down, hundreds of millions of dollars.

-So, a major finance guy and his wife disappear, and the business partner does too? Yeah, he sold his house, and moved to the Ozarks. That's not weird. He won't be sought as a suspect. Let's give him 8 million in cash, and see what happens. The guy who his wife was having an affair with goes out the window too. Not to mention the wife, and the enforcers would no doubt be on camera in that kind of building, and at a minimum the wife would be wanted as a material witness. Well, she just moved to the Ozarks.

-A bunch of two bit hillbilly criminals are going to listen to sense and reason from Jason Bateman, rather than just kill him and take the 3 million dollars?

-So, the money laundering genius just shows up and starts telling everyone he has money to burn to throw into all these businesses. Efficient.

Money laundering is a tool to A) get drug money out of the country quickly, (without bulk cash smuggling) so more product can be sent, b) turn US currency into pesos, to invest in Mexico, or Colombian currency to repurchase product the BMPE, black market peso exchange. Drug cartels are not top down organizations, the are groups of families and cells operating independently, nor do they entrust much to white men who have no ties to them.

Every show has some degree of implausible situations, or requires some suspension of disbelief, but when it cannot stand on it's premise, it infects the entire show. There are so man fascinating stories to tell, it's a shame the writers use these cliches, to undermine a great premise, setting, actors, and production value. The clumsy, ignorance of "The Accountant" is all over this.

Last edited:

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
First episode was :banderas:

By the middle of the season I was :ld:

By the end I was :francis:

Whoever said Bateman plays the same acting role for every character was on point. :mjlol:
Was waiting on him to tell Del he was gonna open up a frozen banana stand.

Got damn editing for ep 8 was a terrible layout. :scust:

Another reason this show is kind of wack:

Ep 8
So you're telling me this dude Bruce SAW what happened to the previous accountant, and he STILL tries to skim money? :snoop: :what: :dahell:
shyt made no sense.

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
Jesus Christ, this shyt already jumped the shark in the last episode. :dead:

Show gets a 6/10, and that might even be generous. It's a poor man's Justified.
i tried to say its better than Sneaky Pete which is Justified northern idiot cousin, its lucky at this point to be 90% as good as sneaky pete at this point. I had to stop the fourth episode halfway thru and ppl aresaying it get wosre from here.

I don't understand FBI's agents motivation, its all over the place along with his acting

I dont know or care about how money laundering actually gets done, I do know that he aint following the plan Bruce said.

So when they show at the house, the daughter is wearing a wonder bra underneath a hlater top for the older man n the attic to see. But when the black guy interviews her, she wearing some frumpy dress, she must have not really wanted that job.

The housewife is all over the place, just have an affair and be done with it (this why I couldn't get married).

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
Jesus Christ, this shyt already jumped the shark in the last episode. :dead:

Show gets a 6/10, and that might even be generous. It's a poor man's Justified.

Lol love the last ep

Martt gotta feel how Jesse felt when he realized how crazy ol boy was