Outriders dev didn't get royalties yet, Square won't say how much it sold

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Putting the shyt on GP means Square gotta compensate for the loss in revenue on retail sales.
Thats like saying piracy = lost sale. Everything people download that doesn't mean if they couldn't they'd buy.

It's up to the publishers and Microsoft to figure this out like the music industry did and the TV industry did and the film industry is having to do now.

Subscription based services are the future of entertainment. People don't want to be nicked and dimed on individual transactions just to play a game.

Now that I have Spotify I'm not going back to buying every album.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
No it doesn't Jesus. Gamepass pay an upfront fee to the developer or publisher for the title with that in mind, the game developer also recieve funds for how many times the game was downloaded.

This is Square Enix being like music record labels not wanting to pay the developer for their work. I assume the developer didn't have their shyt in order because this is the only time I have heard of this in the video game industry. Square Enix is Puff Daddy Bad Boy these nikkas.

You're being obtuse, breh.

Nobody knows how much Microsoft paid to get the game on GamePass, and what they're paying per download. But it doesn't take some business genius to put two and two together and theorize that if the platform the game did the highest volume on was the one where consumers didn't need to make a direct purchase, then the conversation of why this happened starts there.

Like I said before, Square is the worst party here because they continue to sabotage their Western partners in a variety of ways, but even with their likely unrealistic sales goals for the game (since that seems to be a theme), it's hard not to look at them giving up a significant chunk of sales on one of their most prominent platforms.

But even if we play your game with trying to paint GamePass as a perfect delivery method, there's no denying that this game just wasn't a good fit for GamePass. Without DLC or ongoing content that requires payments, it's way too easy for a player to get their fill of the game for free and dip out without the game making up any of the revenue difference from buying.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Thats like saying piracy = lost sale. Everything people download that doesn't mean if they couldn't they'd buy.

It's up to the publishers and Microsoft to figure this out like the music industry did and the TV industry did and the film industry is having to do now.

Subscription based services are the future of entertainment. People don't want to be nicked and dimed on individual transactions just to play a game.

I'm not arguing that it's not the future, it's just not a realistic avenue for everyone notably the AAA 3rd party companies. Just like tv/movies, everyone is gonna try to do their own service to not lose money.

If your game is not setup as a GAAS game, the current streaming model is not good for you as shown in this example

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
You're being obtuse, breh.

Nobody knows how much Microsoft paid to get the game on GamePass, and what they're paying per download. But it doesn't take some business genius to put two and two together and theorize that if the platform the game did the highest volume on was the one where consumers didn't need to make a direct purchase, then the conversation of why this happened starts there.

Like I said before, Square is the worst party here because they continue to sabotage their Western partners in a variety of ways, but even with their likely unrealistic sales goals for the game (since that seems to be a theme), it's hard not to look at them giving up a significant chunk of sales on one of their most prominent platforms.

But even if we play your game with trying to paint GamePass as a perfect delivery method, there's no denying that this game just wasn't a good fit for GamePass. Without DLC or ongoing content that requires payments, it's way too easy for a player to get their fill of the game for free and dip out without the game making up any of the revenue difference from buying.
EXACTLY

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

Videos games aren’t tv, and it certainly isn’t music, the growing pains will be much more severe, its cool that microsoft is the company thats gonna bare the brunt of it.

A tv show can be made in a few months(especially the majority of netflix shows), an album in 6 weeks. A major AAA video game takes years, 3 at the very least, 5-7 in a lot of cases where the engine and everything around it is built from the ground up.

A game like that with no extra monetary incentives is dead weight on a streaming service. I’m sure yall will come in here and argue with me but we will see what the majority of games on a 10 dollar service looks like in 2025

Last edited:

Tim Lord

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Videos games aren’t tv, and it certainly isn’t music, the growing pains will be much more severe, its cool that microsoft is the company thats gonna bare the brunt of it.

A tv show can be made in a few months(especially the majority of netflix shows), an album in 6 weeks. A major AAA video game takes years, 3 at the very least, 5-7 in a lot of cases where the engine and everything around it is built from the ground up.

A game like that with no extra monetary incentives is dead weight on a streaming service. I’m sure yall will come in here and argue with me but we will see what the majority of games on a 10 dollar service looks like in 2025

Spot on. Comparing games to music, TV and movies isn’t smart. Gizmo hit the nail on the head here.

As you mentioned earlier, this is a great case study for ‘AAA’ single player Game Pass day 1 release without MTX. Actually, Outriders is probably closer to ‘AA’ which makes the situation more dire.

>>As of June 1, Outriders did ‘3.5 million unique players with 31 hours average each player’. This number includes sales from Playstation, PC, Xbox as well as Game Pass downloads. <<

Outriders boasts 3.5 million unique players since launch

^ That seems like a successful game to me. To see no profits from that is criminal. How much is a Game Pass download and completion worth?

Seriously, if we are being real here, only have 1 data point with hard numbers for a game that released on Game Pass as well as being sold separately and coincidentally its from Sony.

>>MLB did around 2Ms in sales and had 4M ‘players’. Sony noted to investors that MLB exceeded expectations due to ‘MLB The Show 21 contributed “significantly” to sales and profits during the quarter thanks in part to strong DLC sales.’<<

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart and MLB The Show 21 Exceeded Expectations; Sony Comments on Acquisitions

Is this a ratio we should apply to other Day 1 GP releases? Or should we look at sales splits from UK charts for games like Hades (93% sales on PS, 7% sales on XB).

UK Sales Charts: GTA 5 Just Keeps on Selling, Hades Makes Top 10

…just some data points to think about…

Also, a lot of good talking points brought up in the thread. Im going to add a few more.

• The CEO saying this publicly isnt a good look for Square or Xbox Game Pass (even if only by association) since Square was loud and proud about the number of players, hours played and how they want to continue this as a franchise.
  • This won’t be the last time we hear about this
  • Playstation’s former head Shawn Layden and Take Two boss Strauss Zelnick know what they are talking about when saying AAA/frontline games don’t work on GP
  • Xbox and Microsoft are taking a HUGE loss leader position with Game Pass because only they can do it ($$$) and in the long term if it succeeds it will only benefit them
  • Edit: I don’t believe Game Pass or similar services will lead to a healthier industry