Hip Hop Outkast or Mobb Deep...who was the better duo?

Who was the better duo?

• Mobb Deep

Votes: 116 49.4%
  • Outkast

Votes: 119 50.6%

• Total voters

Roovers410

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Amsterdam
still this stupid discussion between a bordeline gay and a gangsta rapper with some of the best underground albums ever???

Plexxx

Return of the G
Daps
Reppin
Mobile, AL
yup. that's what you call seminal music.

nor do they have an infamous, 36 chambers, e.99 eternal in their album catalogues.

I used to like outkast a lil bit in the '90s. but once all the revisionist history kicked in, I had to fall back. and now, posting here with all these johny-come-latelys, I cant rock with them at all now.

outkast are legends but theyre way out of their league when compared to the groups that they get compared to IN HINDSIGHT.

get the fukk outta here your a known outkast hater

ATLiens is better than infamous and e.99

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's really not.

LOL. There's fans of both groups who would argue that ATLiens and Aquemini are at the very least equal to Soul Food if not better. Still, one album doesn't nullify either group's entire catalog.

Plexxx

Return of the G
Daps
Reppin
Mobile, AL
prime 3 stacks would rap circles around prime prodigy

and havoc def aint hanging with big boi

Homeboy Runny-Ray

From Around The Way
Daps
Reppin
Classic Niccas
1. Nicki Minaj has collaborated with huge Pop stars. Foxy Brown's biggest collabo was on Toni Braxton's "Making Me High" remix. She wasn't some huge Pop Rap sensation.

2. Plenty of rappers went platinum without a mainstream single in the 90's. Again Wu Tang was proof of that. In the midst of a West Coast dominated Hip Hop scene in '93, they put out "C.R.E.A.M" which didn't exactly scream mainstream. No Limit was putting out platinum albums during the Shiny Suit era without major radio play. C-Murder and Mystikal didn't have radio friendly mainstream singles either, but they went platinum.

In regard to Rakim, he was still much more respected as an MC than Prodigy at any point in his career 1997 included. Whether 18th Letter is better or not is a whole other argument.

3. It's not pointless, if Mobb isn't better than Tribe who is from the same borrough, how are they a top tier group?

1. I think what bul is trying to say is that foxy brown was a household name, in urban America at least. I don't think he meant "pop" in the same sellout vein as nicki minaj.

2. ehh. no limit was a different animal. they had a system and it worked. comparing a lot of them(not all) to mobb deep is like comparing the stats of someone who plays for mike d'antoni to that of someone who plays for lionel hollins. and the ones who weren't system guys, were multi-platinum stars(master p, silkk, mystikal, snoop, etc)

as for wutang, theyre not proof of anything. CREAM was an ideal hit single for '94 actually. and 2 singles before that, they had the "method man" video, which didn't exactly burn up daytime radio but it was a BOX classic and the kids ate it up. it was probably the most sung-along single by kids at the time aside from snoop's videos. not to mention that wutang had a great gimmick, logo, etc. very slick marketing. outside of wutang using raw beats, theres really no comparison to what mobb deep was doing. mobb deep wasn't geared towards being marketable at all.

3. please do us all at least 1 favor and let the rakim & tier arguments go. its starting to not be funny anymore. youre scaring me at this point, actually.

See so how the fukk would you know how influential they are if you don't even know what you're talking about? You just making up arguments you cant even provide any factual evidence.

dog. you keep trying to force an argument that nobody cares about. I was just trying to brush you off and keep it movin.

but please, don't let static stop you. if you insist, go head on and list all the outkast influences & samples you can conjure up, and it still wont be anywhere close to the most influential groups.

if you think it is, then you probably are working with a short-list of groups and have an overall lack of knowledge of the genre. I never said that kast wasn't influential or sampled. Its just not on the level that youre trying to make it out to be in comparison to a lot of the other/greater groups.

Excuses again. You didn't mention era. You said that they were a top tier group.

OutKast and Goodie Mob definitely weren't in the same tier. OutKast was bigger than Goodie Mob and would rank higher than Goodie Mob if a list of greatest groups of all time was made. Goodie Mob was 2nd tier in the Dungeon Family.

the keyword is WERE. clearly I was strictly speaking on that era.

excuses for what? either way, it doesn't hurt my argument seeing that kast wasn't even top-tier for THAT era. so what do I have to make excuses for?

lol @ the last sentence. you still don't know what a tier is. just leave it alone man. PLEASE.

That wouldn't be "tier" as a stand alone word. Top-tier is highest even if there are several other entities in the same category. My point is that if a list is made, Mobb Deep wouldn't make the top tier before a group like ATCQ.

I wouldn't put mobb nor tribe in the all-time top tier bracket actually.

bottom line is, tribe & mobb deep were clearly top-tier for their respective eras.

Last edited:

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
1. I think what bul is trying to say is that foxy brown was a household name, in urban America at least. I don't think he meant "pop" in the same sellout vein as nicki minaj.

2. ehh. no limit was a different animal. they had a system and it worked. comparing a lot of them(not all) to mobb deep is like comparing the stats of someone who plays for mike d'antoni to that of someone who plays for lionel hollins. and the ones who weren't system guys, were multi-platinum stars(master p, silkk, mystikal, snoop, etc)

as for wutang, theyre not proof of anything. CREAM was an ideal hit single for '94 actually. and 2 singles before that, they had the "method man" video, which didn't exactly burn up daytime radio but it was a BOX classic and the kids ate it up. it was probably the most sung-along single by kids at the time aside from snoop's videos. not to mention that wutang had a great gimmick, logo, etc. very slick marketing. outside of wutang using raw beats, theres really no comparison to what mobb deep was doing. mobb deep wasn't geared towards being marketable at all.

3. please do us all at least 1 favor and let the rakim & tier arguments go. its starting to not be funny anymore. youre scaring me at this point, actually.

dog. you keep trying to force an argument that nobody cares about. I was just trying to brush you off and keep it movin.

but please, don't let static stop you. if you insist, go head on and list all the outkast influences & samples you can conjure up, and it still wont be anywhere close to the most influential groups.

if you think it is, then you probably are working with a short-list of groups and have an overall lack of knowledge of the genre. I never said that kast wasn't influential or sampled. Its just not on the level that youre trying to make it out to be in comparison to a lot of the other/greater groups.

the keyword is WERE. clearly I was strictly speaking on that era.

excuses for what? either way, it doesn't hurt my argument seeing that kast wasn't even top-tier for THAT era. so what do I have to make excuses for?

lol @ the last sentence. you still don't know what a tier is. just leave it alone man. PLEASE.

I wouldn't put mobb nor tribe in the all-time top tier bracket actually.

bottom line is, tribe & mobb deep were clearly top-tier for their respective eras.
The fukk you talking about? The tier argument makes perfect sense! Assume that some random individual made a list of 9 of the greatest groups of all time - but structured the list in such a way that you couldn't have two groups from the same city/borough or what have you. Ignore the fact that that makes zero sense. Assume that that person then had one additional spot for this tier - the tenth spot if you will - the Queens spot. Also assume that this random person has never heard of Run DMC. Finally, assume that this random person believes that Tribe is ranked higher than Mobb and would get that tenth spot on this one city/borough top ten list "tier". Extrapolate from all of that that Mobb is not a top-tier group overall (please don't go look up the definition of the word tier or except this person to know what it means) since Tribe would get the hypothetical "Queens" spot on the hypothetical top ten list.

That isn't straight forward to you?? What are you, some kind of idiot???

Homeboy Runny-Ray

From Around The Way
Daps
Reppin
Classic Niccas
The fukk you talking about? The tier argument makes perfect sense! Assume that some random individual made a list of 9 of the greatest groups of all time - but structured the list in such a way that you couldn't have two groups from the same city/borough or what have you. Ignore the fact that that makes zero sense. Assume that that person then had one additional spot for this tier - the tenth spot if you will - the Queens spot. Also assume that this random person has never heard of Run DMC. Finally, assume that this random person believes that Tribe is ranked higher than Mobb and would get that tenth spot on this one city/borough top ten list "tier". Extrapolate from all of that that Mobb is not a top-tier group overall (please don't go look up the definition of the word tier or except this person to know what it means) since Tribe would get the hypothetical "Queens" spot on the hypothetical top ten list.

That isn't straight forward to you?? What are you, some kind of idiot???

:laff:

the sad part is that buddy is reading this, thinking that youre serious and preparing to dap you.