Hip Hop Outkast or Mobb Deep...who was the better duo?

Who was the better duo?

• Mobb Deep

Votes: 116 49.4%
  • Outkast

Votes: 119 50.6%

• Total voters

Homeboy Runny-Ray

From Around The Way
Daps
Reppin
Classic Niccas
I ike Outkast but they don't have a "Shook ones", or a "my minds playing tricks on me", or a "Cream" or a "Crossroads" type song in their catalogues

yup. that's what you call seminal music.

nor do they have an infamous, 36 chambers, e.99 eternal in their album catalogues.

I used to like outkast a lil bit in the '90s. but once all the revisionist history kicked in, I had to fall back. and now, posting here with all these johny-come-latelys, I cant rock with them at all now.

outkast are legends but theyre way out of their league when compared to the groups that they get compared to IN HINDSIGHT.

Last edited:

AlldayNE

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
youre using the term groundbreaking very loosely.

what about all the other artists that had way more influence? a lot of them I wouldn't even consider groundbreaking. so kast certainly isn't.

yall one of them dudes that lose your minds when you see the 12th man on the team hit a wide-open layup.

So name these artist who were sampled a lot more than Outkast, I want to know

AlldayNE

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I havnt even noticed outkast get sampled much unless its some new corny rapper like BOB or some chit.:laugh:

nor do I even make note of chit like that.

you sound desperate.

See so how the fukk would you know how influential they are if you don't even know what you're talking about? You just making up arguments you cant even provide any factual evidence.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
But none of this is true. There's no consensus to ATCQ being ranked higher than Mobb Deep and that there are nine more groups above them.

And your logic is flawed. Kobe IS ranked ahead of CP3. There ARE several players ranked ahead of Kobe. CP3 IS a top tier player.

But what is true is your argument was based on location. The quote above does nothing to explain why you feel Mobb Depp is not a top tier group due to the fact that they lived in the same location as ATCQ. How does using non existing rankings explain that?

There is no consensus anything in music. With basketball there's stats that back up a player being a top tier. In Hip Hop, what's the criteria for a top tier group or artist other than preference. If someone says that CP3 is a top tier player with the stats to back the claim, how can you argue against that. This is different Dude admitted that ATCQ was better than Mobb. It would be deaded, if there wasn't an admission that Mobb was the lesser of the two groups. Top tier signifies being of the highest quality.

Illin Degenerate

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Stankonia? Stankonia?
The interesting thing about Kast is there doesn't seem to be any consensus about what there best album is.
going with the 4 core albums that were legit group albums it comes down to how they reinvented themselves or whatever you wanna call it. the preference arguments back in forth in this thread are similar arguments within a discussion on outkast alone. like that rosa parks skit off aquemini, those changes album to album lose some folks, but gain others. the most important thing is they maintained a high level of quality.

stankonia wasnt a perfect album, my take is it wasnt as consistent as the first 3 albums, but still great. this omg they went pop talk doesnt speak to the overall quality of that album or the direction it took.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
this is where most of the kast voters in this thread became fans.

outkast album didn't go diamond because of hip-hop.....and for the record, it only went diamond because its a double cd.

sb/tlb was basically irrelevant to the rap scene. it was music for black office parties and white soccer moms that listened to black eyed peas.

and then they go on and post up wack ass links.

I think even lesser of the album now.:laugh:

do you know what a tier is?

:popcorn:

theyre not seeing run dmc at all.

mobb deep vs tribe could go either way tho.

I kinda think that its my fault since im the one that prolly put the battery in your back with the tier-talk.

I was saying that mobb deep was top-tier FOR THAT ERA.

I never said that they were an all-time top-tier group.

also, more than 1 group from the same borough can be in the same tier homie. for instance, outkast & goodie mob were both 2nd-tier groups for that era and theyre from the same dungeon.

theres no rule that says only 1 person/group per city can be allowed into a certain tier.

influential but not strongly influential.

and they certainly weren't groundbreaking. they didn't stop time dog.

Excuses again. You didn't mention era. You said that they were a top tier group.

OutKast and Goodie Mob definitely weren't in the same tier. OutKast was bigger than Goodie Mob and would rank higher than Goodie Mob if a list of greatest groups of all time was made. Goodie Mob was 2nd tier in the Dungeon Family.

MR. Conclusion

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
There is no consensus anything in music. With basketball there's stats that back up a player being a top tier. In Hip Hop, what's the criteria for a top tier group or artist other than preference. If someone says that CP3 is a top tier player with the stats to back the claim, how can you argue against that. This is different Dude admitted that ATCQ was better than Mobb. It would be deaded, if there wasn't an admission that Mobb was the lesser of the two groups. Top tier signifies being of the highest quality.

smh dude

top tier means a group of similar high quality. There's not much separation between Tribe and Mobb. That's about as even as it gets. Anyway you still not addressing the question so it's whatever.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Excuses again. You didn't mention era. You said that they were a top tier group.

OutKast and Goodie Mob definitely weren't in the same tier. OutKast was bigger than Goodie Mob and would rank higher than Goodie Mob if a list of greatest groups of all time was made. Goodie Mob was 2nd tier in the Dungeon Family.

and yet "Soul Food" is better than any Kast album

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
smh dude

top tier means a group of similar high quality. There's not much separation between Tribe and Mobb. That's about as even as it gets. Anyway you still not addressing the question so it's whatever.

That would be "tier" as a stand alone word. Top-tier is highest even if there are several other entities in the same category. My point is that if a list is made, Mobb Deep wouldn't make the top tier before a group like ATCQ.