Oscars About to Add A New Major Category

Saint1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CA
what the hell is a defining movie though.

a great film is a great film, it’s not their fault that casual movie goers can’t be bothered by anything that isn’t an action franchise or a fun family film.

this isn’t just an insult to the people that make these ‘popular’ movies, it’s an insult to the awards itself. they’re supposed to reward excellence, not popularity.

might as well just call it best action film and have categories for each genre. best drama, best comedy, best horror/suspense... cause ‘best popular movie’ sounds like a load of shyt.
Could be the highest grossing or just a movie that took over culturally.

English Patient may have been good but in history

Scream
Space Jam
Jerry Macguire
A Time to Kill
Primal Fear
Sling Blade
Fargo

All much more memorable and meaningful

TKOK

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Sactown
Is the subtext of this award that Best Picture noms are not popular? :mjlol:
It's a little odd since I looked at the recent BP nominations, and they have movies that made quite a lot of money,like Inception,Dunkirk,Gravity and other well known movies. So instead of making a new catagory, just include movies genres that aren't always included.

Ironman

#Knickstape
Daps
Reppin
Avengers compound
"They get X-men though!!"
n5diId8_zpsga02zix0.png

V1OuwZZ_zpsd0eysnhb.png

Stupidass decision that is blatant disrespect to all the films involved at the Oscars. They trying hard to not acknowledge superhero films and of course this happens right after Black Panther hits 700ms:martin:

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
"They get X-men though!!"
n5diId8_zpsga02zix0.png

V1OuwZZ_zpsd0eysnhb.png

Stupidass decision that is blatant disrespect to all the films involved at the Oscars. They trying hard to not acknowledge superhero films and of course this happens right after Black Panther hits 700ms:martin:

The ill shyt is, this move is made before they even know who the best pic nominees will be. And what’s worse, the academy reached out to the LA times and said movies can be nominated in both categories :russ:

So in theory black panther could be a best pic nominee and get the Blockbuster popcorn award. If movies can be nominated in both categories, why fukking have two categories??!

Same shyt happened when beauty and the beast was nominated for best picture. You had a group of people livid that an animated movie could be a best pic nominee so they created the best animated movie category just to satiate the old guard who were outraged a “kids movie” could hang with dances with wolves or whatever else was nominated in 91.

In 2010 when toy story 3 was nominated for best pic and best animated pic, it was obvious which it would win and which it wouldn’t.

The whole shyt is stupid and, like you said, insulting to everyone involved. If I’m a best pic nominee you’re telling me my movie isn’t popular and the only people who care about it are film geeks, critics, and the people in that room. If I’m a popular nominee, you’re telling me that I’m good but not good enough to sit at the adults table. So I get this small plate of stuffing and chicken as a constellation prize. Utter bullshyt.

A critic on twitter pointed out the highest grossing movies of all time adjusted for inflation:

Gone with the wind
Star Wars
Sound of music
ET
Titanic
Ten Commandments :wow:
Jaws
Doctor Zhivago
Exorcist
Snow White.

What do they all have in common (except Snow White)? They’re all best picture nominees and made a fukk ton of money. So they were popular AND recognized for being great flicks worthy of the highest honor.

This is the academy getting their juelz on to the nth degree
full

shyt makes no sense. And for Disney to suggest this makes it more insidious and seedy. They want a way for their movies (which are the most “popular”) to be recognized and awarded on an awards show hosted on their channel. And that company is just getting bigger and bigger so the impetus to do stupid shyt like this won’t stop and the guard rails in place to stop them will become nonexistent

Ironman

#Knickstape
Daps
Reppin
Avengers compound
The ill shyt is, this move is made before they even know who the best pic nominees will be. And what’s worse, the academy reached out to the LA times and said movies can be nominated in both categories :russ:

So in theory black panther could be a best pic nominee and get the Blockbuster popcorn award. If movies can be nominated in both categories, why fukking have two categories??!

Same shyt happened when beauty and the beast was nominated for best picture. You had a group of people livid that an animated movie could be a best pic nominee so they created the best animated movie category just to satiate the old guard who were outraged a “kids movie” could hang with dances with wolves or whatever else was nominated in 91.

In 2010 when toy story 3 was nominated for best pic and best animated pic, it was obvious which it would win and which it wouldn’t.

The whole shyt is stupid and, like you said, insulting to everyone involved. If I’m a best pic nominee you’re telling me my movie isn’t popular and the only people who care about it are film geeks, critics, and the people in that room. If I’m a popular nominee, you’re telling me that I’m good but not good enough to sit at the adults table. So I get this small plate of stuffing and chicken as a constellation prize. Utter bullshyt.

A critic on twitter pointed out the highest grossing movies of all time adjusted for inflation:

Gone with the wind
Star Wars
Sound of music
ET
Titanic
Ten Commandments :wow:
Jaws
Doctor Zhivago
Exorcist
Snow White.

What do they all have in common (except Snow White)? They’re all best picture nominees and made a fukk ton of money. So they were popular AND recognized for being great flicks worthy of the highest honor.

This is the academy getting their juelz on to the nth degree
full

shyt makes no sense. And for Disney to suggest this makes it more insidious and seedy. They want a way for their movies (which are the most “popular”) to be recognized and awarded on an awards show hosted on their channel. And that company is just getting bigger and bigger so the impetus to do stupid shyt like this won’t stop and the guard rails in place to stop them will become nonexistent
We all or most saw Disney getting power hungry and we are seeing more and more ways they are flexing that power:hhh:
Academy awards is definitely copping pleas:russ::russ::russ:

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi