Oscars About to Add A New Major Category

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
The ill shyt is, this move is made before they even know who the best pic nominees will be. And what’s worse, the academy reached out to the LA times and said movies can be nominated in both categories :russ:

So in theory black panther could be a best pic nominee and get the Blockbuster popcorn award. If movies can be nominated in both categories, why fukking have two categories??!

Same shyt happened when beauty and the beast was nominated for best picture. You had a group of people livid that an animated movie could be a best pic nominee so they created the best animated movie category just to satiate the old guard who were outraged a “kids movie” could hang with dances with wolves or whatever else was nominated in 91.

In 2010 when toy story 3 was nominated for best pic and best animated pic, it was obvious which it would win and which it wouldn’t.

The whole shyt is stupid and, like you said, insulting to everyone involved. If I’m a best pic nominee you’re telling me my movie isn’t popular and the only people who care about it are film geeks, critics, and the people in that room. If I’m a popular nominee, you’re telling me that I’m good but not good enough to sit at the adults table. So I get this small plate of stuffing and chicken as a constellation prize. Utter bullshyt.

A critic on twitter pointed out the highest grossing movies of all time adjusted for inflation:

Gone with the wind
Star Wars
Sound of music
ET
Titanic
Ten Commandments :wow:
Jaws
Doctor Zhivago
Exorcist
Snow White.

What do they all have in common (except Snow White)? They’re all best picture nominees and made a fukk ton of money. So they were popular AND recognized for being great flicks worthy of the highest honor.

This is the academy getting their juelz on to the nth degree
full

shyt makes no sense. And for Disney to suggest this makes it more insidious and seedy. They want a way for their movies (which are the most “popular”) to be recognized and awarded on an awards show hosted on their channel. And that company is just getting bigger and bigger so the impetus to do stupid shyt like this won’t stop and the guard rails in place to stop them will become nonexistent

This.

Part of the reason I never post or even read the Disney/FOX threads is because for the most part people focus on IP and Networks and other surface shyt that, while important, isn't the reason these takeovers and buys are a big deal.

We're genuinely walking towards a time where there will be 5 major companies total, each of which covers its own thing and doesn't step on the other 4's toes, meaning like you said, no guard rails.

Disney: :ufdup:We want kids to watch our movies in school instead of documentaries

Amazon: :yeshrug: That's good with us, we'll sell the TV's to the schools

AT&T: :whoo: We'll hook up the cable

Walmart: :whoa: That's a lot of expensive equipment. If the kids have guns they can protect it. We got you, brehs

VY2wmdR.png

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
This.

Part of the reason I never post or even read the Disney/FOX threads is because for the most part people focus on IP and Networks and other surface shyt that, while important, isn't the reason these takeovers and buys are a big deal.

We're genuinely walking towards a time where there will be 5 major companies total, each of which covers its own thing and doesn't step on the other 4's toes, meaning like you said, no guard rails.

Disney: :ufdup:We want kids to watch our movies in school instead of documentaries

Amazon: :yeshrug: That's good with us, we'll sell the TV's to the schools

AT&T: :whoo: We'll hook up the cable

Walmart: :whoa: That's a lot of expensive equipment. If the kids have guns they can protect it. We got you, brehs

VY2wmdR.png

Yup. Me and @Dominic Brehetto said it in another thread: we’re entering blade runner territory now. Whole world controlled my corporations. shyt basically running man territory.

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
And for Disney to suggest this makes it more insidious and seedy. They want a way for their movies (which are the most “popular”) to be recognized and awarded on an awards show hosted on their channel. And that company is just getting bigger and bigger so the impetus to do stupid shyt like this won’t stop and the guard rails in place to stop them will become nonexistent
Don’t hate the player hate the game. They not keeping other studios from making popular movies, or are you suggesting Disney is paying off the committee :sas2:

Like they are paying off the critics :sas1:

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Marvel gang we are so influential not only changing the way movies are made but now they gotta make new categories got damn Feige cemented his status as a top 3 media icon of all time :SmokinFury:

Haters stay mad!!!:LOLDraxMantis:
Can't wait for the Academy Award winning biopic based on the life and accomplishments of Kevin Feige. :wow:
Title: The Gawd Who Invented the Universe.
full

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
lol @ people thinking that Black Panther had a shot at a Best Picture nomination before this move. :russ:

The problem with this move isn't even that the Academy doesn't acknowledge blockbusters, but the fact that they still act blind to the corrupt campaigning, politicking and vote-buying that has turned people away.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Don’t hate the player hate the game. They not keeping other studios from making popular movies, or are you suggesting Disney is paying off the committee :sas2:

Like they are paying off the critics :sas1:

Nah lol I’m suggesting Disney is undercutting their own product by suggesting this category. Let the shyt rock as is and let BP get a best pic nod or any big movie get a nod on the strength of whatever. But by saying “hey you should add this category” as a way to pat themselves on the back, it makes it harder for a movie like Black Panther to sit at the adults table

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
lol @ people thinking that Black Panther had a shot at a Best Picture nomination before this move. :russ:

The problem with this move isn't even that the Academy doesn't acknowledge blockbusters, but the fact that they still act blind to the corrupt campaigning, politicking and vote-buying that has turned people away.
Right, acting like "Oh no, the Oscars are ruined now!" is like 30 years too late. lol

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi

Oh really :mjpls:

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
Nah lol I’m suggesting Disney is undercutting their own product by suggesting this category. Let the shyt rock as is and let BP get a best pic nod or any big movie get a nod on the strength of whatever. But by saying “hey you should add this category” as a way to pat themselves on the back, it makes it harder for a movie like Black Panther to sit at the adults table
Are they? BP best pic, infinity war most popular :strangeruss:chess not checkers. Disney run shyt. Tuck ya chain, it’s gonna be a hot summer(s) for the foreseeable future