Oscars About to Add A New Major Category

ig88

Bounty Hunter
Daps
Reppin
Intergalactic
There is a difference in styles so im not mad. Popular summer flicks are never gonna be artsy flicks.. so why are those type of popcorn flicks swept aside when they essentiall RUN the business.

Move shoulda been made 30 years ago.

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
There is a difference in styles so im not mad. Popular summer flicks are never gonna be artsy flicks.. so why are those type of popcorn flicks swept aside when they essentiall RUN the business.

Move shoulda been made 30 years ago.
Just need to re-title the award.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
lol @ people thinking that Black Panther had a shot at a Best Picture nomination before this move. :russ:

The problem with this move isn't even that the Academy doesn't acknowledge blockbusters, but the fact that they still act blind to the corrupt campaigning, politicking and vote-buying that has turned people away.
All the prognosticators think it does. and they always have.

I'm all for axing the shorts awards and shyt like that during the show.

I did like the sound ones though.

Last edited:

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Bad idea. The idea of the Oscar is to expose movies to people who normally wouldn't watch high or middle brow movies. Its seems like they are catering to the lowest denominator

Saint1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CA
Space Jam really breh
Yes. Tell me the English Patient had had more impact on culture than Space Jam.

Ignore your small-minded thought that it's a kid's movie and it's not a "real film." That movie was much more popular than the "film" that won best picture of the year.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County

Ignore your small-minded thought that it's a kid's movie and it's not a "real film." That movie was much more popular than the "film" that won best picture of the year.

Homie space jam had an impact on a select group of people, one generation, and is now loved ironically for the most part. Unless you truly love it then my bad. Space Jam is more notable for the sneakers than the actual movie. To your point, plenty of big movies become big cultural landmarks but it doesn't mean they're award worthy flicks. At least not best picture. Independence Day had a huge cultural impact but I'll be damned if I were to believe its a best picture nominee

Saint1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CA
Homie space jam had an impact on a select group of people, one generation, and is now loved ironically for the most part. Unless you truly love it then my bad. Space Jam is more notable for the sneakers than the actual movie. To your point, plenty of big movies become big cultural landmarks but it doesn't mean they're award worthy flicks. At least not best picture. Independence Day had a huge cultural impact but I'll be damned if I were to believe its a best picture nominee
Yeah my point is it is worthy of the "most popular movie" category which this whole thread is about.

trick

sleeping
Supporter
Daps
They did this so they could keep from nominating Black Panther for Best Picture.

Yep I expect some a biopic about some white people that nobody will remember or rewatch in a few years to win best picture or best actor

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Its not a good movie compared to the rest you named. To be honest The English Patient is a waaay better movie. You might got me on impact though