Oregon decriminalized hard drugs. It isn’t working

Thatrogueassdiaz

We're on the blood path now
Daps
Reppin
Center self, inner self
If you actually read the article, there are studies showing no connection between the laws and the drug use. This is mostly political posturing because people are so openly using and homeless like you said. That’s what if you look at the bill, there are all these off ramps to avoid prison and to get people into treatment centers. What really happened is that the law passed before Oregon had the resources to actually treat all the drug addicts and then fentanyl has gone wild all over Oregon. Basically, Oregon lacked the infrastructure for this to actually work.
I never said there was a connection. Do you live in Portland? If the answer is no then please don't reply to me. I have argued many times that jail wasn't the answer, but these addicts are on the loose out here. Not arguing at all about Oregon's infrastructure either.

IAMDetroit

"Yall Nig*as"
Daps
Reppin
D
Dilauded is safe? :dead:shyt is wild strong
Right.
When I was a kid I used to see the fiends line up at the methadone clinic. From school.
I could see it from the window in homeroom.
Never looked appealing and they still looked like fiends.

Bolzmark

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL
In my experience working in the criminal justice system drug abusers don't typically look for help until there is a threat of jail. What they should do is come up with a system where jail is not allowed for your first few simple possession arrests and that continues as long as you are actually trying to get help.

Marc Spector

the 4'11 Cuban
Daps
Reppin
The Milky Way
One of the issues with the war on drugs and homelessness is that extremist on both sides have hijacked the conversation.

The progressives in the Pacific Northwest are adamantly anti-hierarchy. The drug abusing homeless are in their eyes just another symptom of oppression at the hands of the capitalist, white, christian, patriarchal, cis gendered,
heteronormative, power structure.

On some level, they aint wrong :manny: , but they don’t understand that most Americans are not ready to destabilize the entire power structure and upend the conventional rules of society (“we all should be working for our housing, food and material needs and not be checked out due to substance abuse”) , especially for people who left their own devices have no intentions of getting clean and re-entering the rat race.

on the other side of it are the increasingly volatile and loud conservatives who run gamut from boot licking law hounds who basically want a fascist police state , to NIMBYs, to pearl clutching Karens. for these people nothing less than the complete murder and or indefinite jailing of the drug addicted homeless is a viable solution. They are not open to the idea of expanding the health infrastructure to deal with people who are not hardened criminals, especially if it cost them tax dollars.

Nor do they understand or particularly care that jailing all of these people isn’t a solution either as as we simply do not have enough officers, jail beds, or court officials to sustainably deal with what is upwards of 100,000 people within the PNW region who would be jailed overnight, if they had it their way.

One thing I realized over the past couple years is that Americans are incapable of nuance. People really don’t understand that these problems did not start overnight so there will not be an overnight solution. nor do they understand that changes will incur compromise and cost for a country this diverse. I would say we are 5 to 10 years from even getting 2000 people rehabilitated out of the 100,000 in the region. It’s slow but that would be a start. and that’s assuming all of the desperate elements such as the criminal justice system, labor, elected officials, and the taxpaying citizens all worked together.

Anyone who says the problem could be fixed overnight does not understand how many industries and systems are at play.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

Oregon Decriminalized Drugs. Voters Now Regret It.​

State lawmakers are about to reverse course, making the possession of hard narcotics an offense again.​

March 12, 2024

In 2020, motivated to try a different way to combat drug use, Oregon voted to decriminalize the possession of small amounts of hard drugs including fentanyl, heroin and methamphetamine.
Things didn’t turn out as planned.
Mike Baker, a national reporter for The Times, explains what went wrong.

*this was a decent episode. Pretty balanced, though the plea the advocates copped has turned up in other articles about the topic. Moving forward that seems to be what the universal excuse will be for why the measure failed.

I respect the fact that they did try a different approach. What reformists should be aware of is that, you have to put ego aside. When implemented reforms aren't working, you have to admit it and allow adjustments and amendments. Not doing so will make your "projected results" look worse in comparison to what the actual real life results are. And will make the case for those on the other side of the issue. Concede the truth, the sooner the better.

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
They won't see the effects for 20 years. Old heads have to die and the new generation that doesn't want to be like their loser parents have to spring up.

bnew

Veteran
Daps

Oregon Decriminalized Drugs. Voters Now Regret It.​

State lawmakers are about to reverse course, making the possession of hard narcotics an offense again.​

March 12, 2024

In 2020, motivated to try a different way to combat drug use, Oregon voted to decriminalize the possession of small amounts of hard drugs including fentanyl, heroin and methamphetamine.
Things didn’t turn out as planned.
Mike Baker, a national reporter for The Times, explains what went wrong.

*this was a decent episode. Pretty balanced, though the plea the advocates copped has turned up in other articles about the topic. Moving forward that seems to be what the universal excuse will be for why the measure failed.

I respect the fact that they did try a different approach. What reformists should be aware of is that, you have to put ego aside. When implemented reforms aren't working, you have to admit it and allow adjustments and amendments. Not doing so will make your "projected results" look worse in comparison to what the actual real life results are. And will make the case for those on the other side of the issue. Concede the truth, the sooner the better.

did you address the fact that it was a half-baked implementation compared to other successful initiatives? they took a course of action which would cost them the least amount of moneyand now they're prepared to spend a lot more more money to do the same ol, same ole.