Oregon decriminalized hard drugs. It isn’t working

the elastic

livin' outside of the matrix
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the bay/norcal
In my experience working in the criminal justice system drug abusers don't typically look for help until there is a threat of jail. What they should do is come up with a system where jail is not allowed for your first few simple possession arrests and that continues as long as you are actually trying to get help.
We made prison a de facto form of slavery and a private for-profit system. Rehabilitation is nowhere near the goal in the USA. Never was.

Re-read that 13th amendment :mjpls:

Doomsday

Superstar
Daps
:mjlol:They only decriminalized it because they didn't want to house the homeless.

Last edited:

Yaboysix

That nikka
Daps
Reppin
Tampa Florida
Get to the root of it ..I personally have no interest in drugs... What makes people want to start being crackheads? They know damn well what comes with it ,why they try it in the first place

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
From what i read their plan was executed horribly, especially on the treatment side.

This was a huge part of the issue. They pushed the idea of treatment rather than prison, but then didn't support the creation of the treatment programs. So drug users didn't go to prison but didn't get any other help either.

Another issue was that they didn't do anything to address the root causes of drug use, they're still focused on the symptoms.

And the other issue is that this started right in the middle of a national meth epidemic, global fentanyl epidemic, and then the global pandemic, all of which made the drug problem worse for everyone whether they were trying Oregon's system or not.