Oprah Winfree "Investing in little girls is better than investing in little boys"

???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jfkennedy

Best After Bobby
Daps
I see

Ms. Winfrey's school, a $40 million project that opened Tuesday, is one of the most recent and high-profile projects in a growing worldwide campaign to improve girls' education. Such female-focused aid yields perhaps the highest dividends for developing nations, say experts, though they are quick to point out that boys face challenges as well.

"I think it's very important for people to recognize that the lack of education for both boys and girls is a crisis in Africa," says Gene Sperling, director of the Center for Universal Education at the Council on Foreign Relations. "But the benefits of girls' education, in terms of improving health, women's empowerment, and family well-being, probably does make girls' education the highest-returning social investment in the world."

The World Bank has found that when a country improves education for girls, its overall per capita income increases and its fertility rate drops. Other studies show that improved female education is linked to higher crop yields, lower HIV infection rates, and reduced infant mortality. UNICEF's annual "State of the World's Children Report" calls gender equity – particularly in education – a "double dividend" for developing countries.

So basically what she said makes sense.

avon barksdale

i want my corners
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore Prison
color-purple-hand-clap-o.gif

Richard Wright

Living Legend
Daps
She is right, just like we always say black women need to choose men better.

However, the whole black men arent worth investing in narrative is offensive. The world has given up on a group of people that have accomplished a lot. Its sad.

SHO-NUFF

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOMETHIN REAL FO YO ASS IN THESE HANDS!!!!

I listened to this with "do-do, fukk jay-Z, do-do" repeating over and and over playing in the background in my head

EDIT: mann, fukk that fat bytch, I heard the deal at 32 minutes in........
this stupit c*nts contributions to the few will FOREVER be shadowed by the actions, and giving of all the rest of us, around the world, MEN and women, all day long, everyday.

okrah: lil gullz gon buy one lil trinket, so they can feel like a human, and boys buy toys, beer, yadda-blubberbuttopebmp]og]perhep....

grown ass men, do grown ass things for their communities, but you wouldn't know about that would you
030812-celebs-ving-rhames.jpg

bytch you aint no mom, but you's a mammy tho :mjpls:

Last edited:

BruhMayne

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Cant take Oprah's public opinion seriously ever since she became cool with HOV after she denounced all rappers

Thats like taking Malcolm X seriously after linking up with the Grand Wizard

I :salute: her for getting that money though :whew:

Depreciating Asset

Please pawg responsibly
Daps
Reppin
Other
I don't think a comment like this should just be dismissed. The argument for investing in girls over boys is based on the question: If you want to help eliminate global poverty who is a better investment: a poor boy or a poor girl?

The are 2 main reason many experts think girls are more important to invest in. (1) Women control fertility rates. A more educated girl is less likely to get pregnant as a teenager. Less poor births in a poor country means more resources get distributed more widely. (2) Studies show that women are ,in general, more likely to spend money on their families than men. So if you make a women rich she is more likely to provide food, shelter, health care for her kids than men who are more likely to spend it on recreation for themselves.

So this is where comments like this come from. I hear this argument often in academia. You may or may not agree with it. But I don't think Oprah is man hating. She just subscribes to this line of thinking. Many social workers, economists and philanthropists do too.

Here's a link from the Clinton HEalth Initiative with more: http://www.clintonglobalinitiative.org/ourmeetings/PDF/actionareas/Why_Invest_in_Adolescent_Girls.pdf