Once Upon A Time In Hollywood (Official Thread)

fukkyalifestyle

Superstar
Daps
Tarantino prob does give a fukk about box offices at this point and really just made the movie he wanted to make. He probably has 2 films left in him so he'll probably go out doing whatever he wants.

Big Dick

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Only issue with the menke thing for me is I love django and have no problems with it despite how long it is. Not much longer than inglorious. But hateful and this maybe could have used some trimming

C/S about Django.

Also about this film benefitting from some trimming. He probably could have shaved a good 15 minutes just by eliminating some of the driving scenes and Sharon Tate’s random travels.

No Ma’am

Bang, Bang, Bang
Daps
Tarantino on the Bruce Lee stuff

“Could Cliff beat up Bruce Lee? Brad would not be able to beat up Bruce Lee, but Cliff maybe could,” Tarantino said. “If you ask me the question, ‘Who would win in a fight: Bruce Lee or Dracula?’ It’s the same question. It’s a fictional character. If I say Cliff can beat Bruce Lee up, he’s a fictional character so he could beat Bruce Lee up. The reality of the situation is this: Cliff is a Green Beret. He has killed many men in WWII in hand to hand combat. What Bruce Lee is talking about in the whole thing is that he admires warriors. He admires combat, and boxing is a closer approximation of combat as a sport. Cliff is not part of the sport that is like combat, he is a warrior. He is a combat person.”

And

“Bruce Lee was kind of an arrogant guy,” Tarantino told press about depicting the actor in such a cocky manner. “The way he was talking, I didn’t just make a lot of that up. I heard him say things like that to that effect. If people are saying, ‘Well he never said he could beat up Mohammad Ali,’ well yeah he did. Alright? Not only did he say that but his wife, Linda Lee, said that in her first biography I ever read. She absolutely said that.”

So why put Bruce Lee in your film if you have no respect for him? :birdman:

Optimus Prime

#AGGIEPRIDE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NC A&T SU, Hornets, Panthers, North Carolina
Quentin Tarantino's 'Once Upon a Time in Hollywood' Nears $200M Globally
1:14 PM PDT 8/18/2019 by Pamela McClintock

The movie — which has finally begun rolling out overseas — could end up nearly matching or even surpassing the filmmaker's biggest film to date, 'Django Unchained.'

Quentin Tarantino's Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is headed for a fairy tale ending at the worldwide box office.

The movie — affirming the filmmaker's enduring popularity, as well as the star power of Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt — will likely end up being the second-biggest movie of Tarantino's career behind Django Unchained at the worldwide box office, not adjusted for inflation. There's also a chance it could overtake Django.

However, most box office analysts predict that Once Upon a Time will ultimately earn between $375 million and $400 million globally, surpassing Pulp Fiction ($212 million) and Inglourious Basterds($316.9 million). Through Sunday, its worldwide cume stood at $180.2 million — and it's only just begun its overseas rollout.

"The movie is arguably the most accessible and entertaining of all of Tarantino's films and given its collective star power, great marketing campaign and generally great reviews, it should be no surprise that the film has become a global breakout hit," says Paul Dergarabedian of Comscore. "And Once Upon a Time in Hollywood certainly has the potential to become the highest-grossing Tarantino movie ever."

Tarantino's Django Unchained, also starring DiCaprio and released over the Christmas holidays in 2012, grossed $162.8 million domestically and $262.6 million overseas for a career-best global haul of $425.4 million.

Once Upon a Time transformed into an instant success story in North America late last month upon launching to $41.1 million on its way to earning a stellar $114.3 million to date (it is the only original summer tentpole to cross the century mark domestically).

How Once Upon a Time would fare overseas wasn't clear until this weekend, when it finally rolled out in earnest. The pic topped the international chart with $53.7 million from 46 markets for an early foreign total of $66.2 million (it launched in Russia and two small markets a week ago).

According to Sony, Once Upon a Time opened notably ahead of Django — by 30 percent — in those foreign markets where it has landed, a promising sign. It also debuted ahead of The Wolf of Wall Street and on par with The Revenant, both starring DiCaprio.

Once Upon a Time placed No. 1 in 28 markets. The U.K. turned in a five-day total of $8.9 million, while France launched with $6.9 million, followed by Germany ($5.6 million) and Australia ($4.4 million).

Tarantino's film continues to hold well in Russia, where it opened to a career-best $7.7 million last weekend. Total ticket sales there have grown to $13.3 million, while Hong Kong and Taiwan have turned in $1.2 million and $1.1 million, respectively.

Major market yet to open include Mexico (Friday), Japan (Aug. 30), Italy (Sept. 18) and South Korea (Sept. 26). There's no word yet on a China release date. China's Bona Film Group co-financed Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and is handling distribution duties in such Asian markets as Hong Kong

Knights89

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Saw it Friday. Enjoyed it, and will watch again to see if I like it better or not

Last edited:

karim

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
C/S about Django.

Also about this film benefitting from some trimming. He probably could have shaved a good 15 minutes just by eliminating some of the driving scenes and Sharon Tate’s random travels.
It wasn't so much the length or the pacing as the flow of the movie. I really liked it, and I have no problem with the overindulgence in long, seemingly pointless scenes. Since, as far as I interpreted it, the purpose of the seemingly aimless first two acts is to set up the third one. Tarantino is basically lulling the audience in. You're sitting there, wondering what the hell this is all about and then BOOM the violent third act almost feels like a slap in the face and releases a tension that you almost didn't realize was there.

But the whole time while watching the movie I thought that something was off about the editing. I can't really put my finger on it, and I might have to watch the movie again, to better understand what it was, but the editing was definitely subpar compared to Tarantinos other movies.

blankstairz

Superstar
Daps
Perfect summary because this might quite possibly be the best made garbage I have ever seen. There are great scenes in this, every actor delivers and then some, but it is still fukking garbage. I have seen three 3 hour foreign arthouse movies this year that all moved at a goddamn snail's pace and I can genuinely say that all three justified its length and pacing more than this movie ever came close to.

At this point we really need to have a serious discussion about how much Sally Menke saved QT's movies because since her passing (R.I.P.) the editing and pacing of his movies have gone straight to shyt, and this stumbling disjointed mess is his worst offender. Shout out to @InGodWeTrust as the only other poster to mention her, glad someone has a fukking clue around here instead of the Coli's resident 'our only talking points are things we heard on a podcast' circle jerkers.

I'm also completely dumb founded at the love people have for the third act. Not only is it the most painfully obvious climax of any QT movie, it also literally did nothing for anything in the movie. Basically all it achieved was showing us that QT had absolutely no balls to circumvent expectations and challenge audiences. Which, after the nigh 2+ hours of forcing them to sit through unnecessary plodding exhibition, could have been its only saving grace.

By large the biggest cinematic disappointment in years, especially because you can see the skeleton of the movie that would have worked throughout this mess.

I don't think it's Menke. It's Tarantino's writing.

His movies have always been excessive and fat. At times pedestrian because it's less action and more dialogue driven.

Kill Bill was 2 volumes because it was too long as one movie.

She was the editor for Death Proof. The Grindhouse version was slow and needed trimming.

Pulp, Inglorious, Django, had enough story to them, that people didn't care about the lengths and pacing.

Death Proof and Once Upon a Time...not so much. :manny:

At least Once Upon a Time had great performances by Leo and Brad to help carry the movie.