Once Upon A Time In Hollywood (Official Thread)

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just saw this.

shyt was terrible. What the fukk. No plot. Just scenes trying to be clever.

There definitely a plot, just not much story due to it being a character analysis of Rick Dalton, Cliff Booth and Sharon Tate. It's mostly a story about Dalton's struggle in his decline as a famous actor as he is symbolic of a simpler time in Hollywood. His character arc is that of denial, acceptance and redemption. Cliff is that loyal homie that's always down for Rick. He represent everything that Rick wishes to be. The irony of him being a double has a double meaning as to it also equate to his actual life as someone like Cliff does most of the heroics and Rick ends up with the glory (as both in the films and what happens in the end). And Sharon Tate represented the innocence of the late 60's. So, she's carefree and aspiring which is in contrast to Rick being depressive and pessimistic. The back drop is the threat of the Manson family as we know in real life represented innocence lost, but for this film, it's the thread that eventually connects the polarizing worlds of old men and vibrant youth with a fairy tale-like conclusion.

HDiron

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Miami
There definitely a plot, just not much story due to it being a character analysis of Rick Dalton, Cliff Booth and Sharon Tate. It's mostly a story about Dalton's struggle in his decline as a famous actor as he is symbolic of a simpler time in Hollywood. His character arc is that of denial, acceptance and redemption. Cliff is that loyal homie that's always down for Rick. He represent everything that Rick wishes to be. The irony of him being a double has a double meaning as to it also equate to his actual life as someone like Cliff does most of the heroics and Rick ends up with the glory (as both in the films and what happens in the end). And Sharon Tate represented the innocence of the late 60's. So, she's carefree and aspiring which is in contrast to Rick being depressive and pessimistic. The back drop is the threat of the Manson family as we know in real life represented innocence lost, but for this film, it's the thread that eventually connects the polarizing worlds of old men and vibrant youth with a fairy tale-like conclusion.

I agree with this. I just saw it yesterday and really enjoyed it.

XannyWarbucks

Superstar
Daps
I don't understand why people don't get the Bruce Lee scene. The whole movie is a meta-narrative. Pacino's character beats this into the beginning of the film when he talks about Rick being used as a heavy to promote others. Lee died before he was a heavy, but here he is used to boost Cliff as one. The movie has so many subtleties, easily my favorite QT film.

Carl Tethers

@mastermind is OVO
Supporter
Daps
I felt this film more when I took it to actually be a late 60s flick.. gave me Easy Rider, Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid kinda vibes - not following a strict plot but telling a story anyway. Both those films released in '69 too. Then he does his trick of subverting shyt throughout and I was :yeshrug: by the end

I'll probably play "spot the reference" next time and appreciate it more, but it's more well-crafted than enjoyable to me for now

Brozay

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Just got out. I really liked it but it’s not gonna be for everyone.

Cliff at the Ranch scene reminded me of the scene a bit from Zodiac when Jakes character goes into that dudes house. Maybe less reminded me of it but it felt similar

Brozay

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Well said.

cartierhoe

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
South Florida
Just got out of the movie theater from watching it. I liked it a lot, not his best movie tho. I enjoyed Leo and Pitt having so much time they had for their own personal stories, and them being under the Tarantino umbrella made it better. All the Tarantinoisms are here, and it ain’t a QT movie without shots of feet:pachaha:

Third act was great and I thought it was gonna turn out opposite of what actually happened. Cliff high on acid still being able to rag doll the one girl hippie around and Rick pulling out the flamethrower had me and my homie :dead:

cartierhoe

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
South Florida
This movie made me think being in the 60’s was cool af (obviously being a white male), not that I didn’t already think that but I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s what Tarantino was trying to go for.