Once Upon A Time In Hollywood (Official Thread)

Thatrogueassdiaz

We're on the blood path now
Daps
Reppin
Center self, inner self
Girl I was with made us leave :snoop:

It was a first date :russ: we both was nt really feeling it ...I was hyped ...I wasn’t the only people that left plus the theater only served wine and beer not no hard liquor I was trying to get lit lit

I’ll watch it again not in a rush movie low key trash but I left before the third act so don’t hate me

:dwillhuh:

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
This was a very quirky movie but I liked it. It isn't at the top of the Tarantino collection for me but it was an enjoyable way to waste a couple hours and Pitt and DiCaprio were great in it.

Not sure why Tarantino made Sharon Tate into this enigmatic Musical Montage Nymph but I guess he had his reasons.

I also laugh at the people who are critical about the changes to real life events as if Tarantino didn't make it perfectly clear he was making a fairy tale from the jump.

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
Welp the coli is shytting on a Tarantino movie...sooo that means its probably a classic
I think a lot of the reviews are accurate.

If you're a big fan of Tarantino you will most likely enjoy this movie. You will run with the punches and in jokes and references and endure the long run time as you know he will milk his movies until the last drop.

But Tarantino has weaknesses and this movie might display his biggest weakness. However he tries to get you to forget about that during the climax which will have most people :krs:

I see a lot of 7/10. I think that's a fair rating.

TrueEpic08

Dum Shiny
Daps
Reppin
SoCal State Beaches
Saw this last night. Still collecting my thoughts on it, but I really, really liked it. It's nowhere even close to the best Tarantino film, but he really hasn't made anything this loose or fun since Death Proof (maybe his most underrated film). It seems like most of the actors were having the time of their lives filming this.

I can see why some people won't like this, since it's more of a window into the lives of three actors in different "classes" of Hollywood stardom (secure, upper-class it girl Sharon Tate; anxious, middle-class actor of the past Rick Dalton; down-and-out working-class stuntman Cliff Booth) and how they react to the shift from the last vestiges of the old Hollywood to the New Hollywood paradigm. Tate is fine with it, since she's a rising star who's married to one of New Hollywood's biggest touchstones, and Cliff is fine with it since he has no real prospects anyway and accepts that. But Rick is just falling apart, since his status is slowly slipping away and he has no idea how to deal with that. It takes a few key experiences for him to come to terms with who he is and how the new generation sees him before he becomes comfortable with the new paradigm (of which its most positive iteration in this film, Tate, literally opens her gates to Rick and embraces him at the end of the film). Anyone interested in a tight plot that drives the events of the film needs to stay far, far away from this.

As I said, a lot to think through, but I will say this: all three leads were fantastic in completely different ways. Leo was great doing peak-anxious Leo throughout the film, translating the frustration and fear Rick felt tremendously. Brad Pitt was outstanding playing Cliff as this super-relaxed cowboy type: completely comfortable in his own skin, fine with what's coming in the future but not scared to kick someone's ass if they endanger him or piss him off.

However, I thought Margot Robbie was easily the best of the three, because she did something far more astonishing than either DiCaprio or Pitt: be so comfortable and naturalistic onscreen that she completely disappears into the character, as well as carry her scenes and a massive amount of the thematic weight of the film with facial expressions and body language alone, and no dialogue of significance beyond "I'm Sharon Tate." Pitt is also extremely relaxed on camera (the parallels between Tate and Booth, as well as Tate and the Manson girls, are incredibly interesting. I'm still thinking over them), but it's the relaxation of a specific character archetype, as opposed to Robbie being so naturalistically relaxed she seemingly forgets she's even being filmed at points, and you forget that she's NOT Sharon Tate. It's truly amazing acting, one of the most fascinating pieces of work done in the decade in my opinion, and in some ways far better and far more difficult than anything she did in I, Tonya (she won't get an award for it because the public mostly equates great acting with great line delivery. Those people are incredibly myopic).

So, yeah. It might actually be Tarantino's second worst film (Django Unchained is probably his worst), but Tarantino's never made anything less than a very, very good film. And this was so fun to watch that I now actively disdain the dour, self-serious big-budget films we constantly have thrown at us just a little more (also, I never noticed the running time despite it being nearly 3 hours. Partially because I was having too much fun).

Not quite for everyone, but very, very good stuff for those who stick with it.

Everyone, including me, got COMPLETELY worked by the fake Wikipedia spoilers. :russ: Bravo to whomever came up with that one. Still an extremely Tarantino ending which evokes the same themes as the fake ending, but nothing close to the bombast implied in the spoilers.

Last edited:

Thatrogueassdiaz

We're on the blood path now
Daps
Reppin
Center self, inner self
I think a lot of the reviews are accurate.

If you're a big fan of Tarantino you will most likely enjoy this movie. You will run with the punches and in jokes and references and endure the long run time as you know he will milk his movies until the last drop.

But Tarantino has weaknesses and this movie might display his biggest weakness. However he tries to get you to forget about that during the climax which will have most people :krs:

I see a lot of 7/10. I think that's a fair rating.
What weakness?

TrueEpic08

Dum Shiny
Daps
Reppin
SoCal State Beaches
Also, regarding the spear gun incident...

I'm gonna need to watch it again, but I'm pretty sure it was unloaded. So who knows whether Cliff killed her or not.