Old School vs New School beef is brewing

bigrodthe1

The Kang
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
7mile to SE & Uptown!
The biggest rappers were Kanye, Wayne, and Drake (Drake even more-so because he had blown up and was on fire). I would listen to those three and just popular songs from artists like Jay Sean, Iyaz (that Replay record was big), Sean Kingston, Chris Brown, Linkin Park, Rihanna, Justin Bieber, etc.
You are OBVIOUSLY white :martin:

bigrodthe1

The Kang
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
7mile to SE & Uptown!
This thread is a prime example of why the young gen doesn't respect you older dudes :mjlol:
shut-up-Favim.com-369715.gif

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
You have to remember who you just responded to, a known troll that usually scrolls past people's post just cause their fingers are on fire to type.

Nah she's not a troll lol. She's got strong views but I've seen her on a few occasions admit she when she was wrong.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
The majority of people aren't born hip-hop fans.
True. But at some point, if you grew up in a community where hip hop is the norm, you are gonna become a fan. Elementary School, Junior High. You don't evolve into it, it's just your environment.
I think you said you started listening to hip hop about five years ago? So if you're around 18, maybe you got into hip-hop at 13 or so? That's a little late, but nothing egregious.

Did you grow up in an area where everybody listened to hip hop and you were outside of the norm for mostly fukking with pop until the past 5 years?

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Please give me a list of albums to listen to. I don't mind if it's huge. Also, do you mind listing albums outside of hip-hop as well?

hit me up in the PMs so we can build youngn.

I don't want to take the thread off-topic.

dubsmith_nz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Aotearoa
not theyre not.

those are niche rappers. theyre not the faces of the next gen. most of those guys aren't even the faces of the next gen of their respective cities. let alone hip-hop as a whole.

you think lil uzi vert ever had next in philly? he blew up off the hipster blogs & rap sites. the young faces of the city are dudes like Kur, P&B Rock, etc. people that rarely ever get talked about on here. another reason why rap is so messed up.

ive never heard of any of these hipster-drill dudes being tops in their local scenes.

HIP-HOP IS DEAD!!!!!

the thing is, most of the young rappers in question here are just niche rappers. theyre not spokesman for this new generation at all.

its like say if those rappers at the turn of the century like drama or miracle. guys that had jams that were kinda similar to some of these dudes. imagine if they started kickin that old school/new school talk.:laugh: the problem is, the lines are blurred now, so people can get away with pushing such propaganda.

lets be reality.

people in that early-mid 30s range & under, generally never gave a dam about rap history and carry on like rap started in the '90s. shoot, not even the whole '90s. you gotta go str8 to suge & puffy for a lot of people. even on this board. most of these '90s enthusiasts aren't really up on the '90s like that. and they draw complete blanks when the '80s & '70s are mentioned. rap history was never in style breh. its just a lot of people grew older and are now getting that rude-awakening of karma.

I know people in my age range that are probably in the studio RIGHT NOW that I literally tried but couldn't get them to listen to those albums that you mentioned.

I'm only 29 and I've tried my best to do the knowledge but I completely agree, majority of my homies won't know shyt about 80s hip hop outside of some Run DMC, L L Cool J and some NWA. If you look way back its probably only Rappers Delight, The Message and maybe The Breaks that people know.

The sound evolved so much in that time period that a lot of people don't feel it and if you aren't interested from a historical standpoint some of that music really didn't age too well compared to music from the early 90's.

LandryFieldsDad

All Star
Daps
Lil Yachty cant name 5 songs by big or pac

Id wager money that hes forgotten in 2 and a half years TOPS

hell be the next:

Roscoe Dash
Lil Scrappy
V.I.C
Youngbloodz
Da Backwudz
Young Joc
Gorilla Zoe
DJ Unk
Trillville
Trinidad James
Travis Porter (to be fair a lotta these fakkits stole they whole flow/swag/style)
Shawty Lo
D4L
Silento
OJ Da Juiceman
Dorrough
Rich Boy
Hurricane Chris
Shop Boyz
Crime Mob
Huey
Baby Boy Da Prince
Jibbs
Lil Peanut
Cali Swag District
Cash Out

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
Lil Yachty cant name 5 songs by big or pac

Id wager money that hes forgotten in 2 and a half years TOPS

hell be the next:

Roscoe Dash
Lil Scrappy
V.I.C
Youngbloodz
Da Backwudz
Young Joc
Gorilla Zoe
DJ Unk
Trillville
Trinidad James
Travis Porter (to be fair a lotta these fakkits stole they whole flow/swag/style)
Shawty Lo
D4L
Silento
OJ Da Juiceman
Dorrough
Rich Boy
Hurricane Chris
Shop Boyz
Crime Mob
Huey
Baby Boy Da Prince
Jibbs
Lil Peanut
Cali Swag District
Cash Out
Why does he need to know 5 songs between Biggie and Pac? What does that prove?

I bet he knows plenty of songs from TI, Wayne, Jeezy and all the legends he grew up on

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps

I bet he knows plenty of songs from TI, Wayne, Jeezy and all the legends he grew up on
Because those guys are titans and have transcended hip hop. It's different regarding the 80s @Wacky D. Hip hop had not reached its commercial peak. There's a difference between origins and prominence. Hip Hop became the machine it is in the mid 90s. The genre didn't even have a grammy best album category until like 1996. Enthusiasts of a genre always know the golden age because that stuff gets remixed and put back into music all the time. However, that is only if you grew up around hip hop fans. To a lot of these new people people hip hop is just pop music.

LandryFieldsDad

All Star
Daps

He doesn't need to know anything.
It's the fact that he's so proud of it that makes me feel like he won't have any staying power in the game.

Say what you want about them..their music is listened to twenty years after they were released. He could learn something

JahFocus CS

Get It How You Get It
Daps
Reppin
Republic of New Afrika
In general we're the only people where disregarding our cultural forerunners is acceptable. We do the same thing with African culture, thinking it is okay to distance ourselves from it or disregard it.

If you don't respect and cherish all the forerunners of your culture, you ain't really a part of the culture. Period

W.I.Z.E.

Wise poster
Daps
Reppin
Bronx
I'm an old head that grew up in the 80's and see both sides of this argument.

A lot of my peeps don't listen to new artists at all. When I mention them, they look baffled and often don't give new artists a chance.

New cats is rebelling. Y'all do know this the circle of life.

• In the 1970's old heads liked disco, most new heads was creating hip hop
  • In the 1980's artists like LL were dissing Moe Dee for being old
  • 1990's, hip hop be a,e commericalized and terms like sellout came into play. More ho,age was paid to artists of the 80's and some of the 90's but hip hop was becoming divided nonetheless by region and sound (i.e. Underground vs conscious vs gangsta vs commercial)
  • 2000's regionalization became a bigger deal, newer artists really only paid homage to late 90's artists with a few exceptions (Dre, Nas)
  • Current wave new artists in their 20's are tired of being told their art isn't music..same thing the hip hop artists of the 70's were told when they were "destroying records" by putting stupid scratches on them.
Now that said, I think most people at the age of 20, can name a few songs of the most prominent artists from the year they were born. For me that would have been Mike Jack, James Brown me Stevie.

So those that claim to do the same come across as either not respecting history, or being so rebellious that they are saying statements to fukk with older people. Same shyt I did when I was in my teens/early 20's and chances are, same shyt a lot of you all did when you were a late teen and someone tried to tell you what to do.

• Dap
Reactions: Hat