Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
let me see if I can explain.

Tiny Stark was a rich jackass and jerk who didn't care what his weapons were doing to the world until he nearly died and had to face the reality outside of his ivory tower.

Captain America had heart but he was 90 lbs soaking wet and had to become a test subject to even be taken seriously and then even after he was Captain America, no one took him serious until he proved himself.

Thor was an arrogant foolish prince with no humility and his dad humbled him by taking his power and sending him to earth to let him live that hard knock life till he got his head on straight.

I mean... I can keep going here if you need me to.

What adversity has WW faced? Like breh said, the pc writers are so gung-ho on pushing this women empowerment angle and going "women are strong, see" that they miss the essence of what makes folks want to watch heroes.

Nobody wants to see a hero win all the time. We want to see a hero that has flaws, selfishness, too much vengeance, physical limitations and then overcome that.

Why? Because thats who we as viewers are. We are flawed and superheroes at their essence are meant to inspire ppl to be better. How do they inspire us? By facing the same challenges we face but in a fictional way and then overcoming those challenges. That gives us hope that we can overcome the challenges that we face in our personal lives.

@El Negro Suave tell me if I have any of this wrong.
I think wonder womans flaw is she struggles dealing with the mortality as an immortal. she wants to save people and from her persective if they die she failed. First movie did a good job/bad job examining this. she was convinced the war and death would go away once she defeated aries. it showed that he wasn't really the cause of the death, but later contradicted this revelation by having the war end as soon as he died.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
There was another thing I liked about this movie. There was a sequence early where they focus on someone littering and people eating poorly and some other stuff I'm not remembering that kinda pointed out our progress on some issues since the 1980s. I thought that was interesting/cool.

LezJepzin

We Wavy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
50East/Sacramento, CA
The only good thing you had to say was the women looked good and we're the militants? That's exactly what I'm saying DC dikk suckers can't point out the actual good aspects of this movie.

The receptionist was black! So 6/10. :stopitslime:

No one is COMPLAINING about female empowerment movies. It’s about the WRITING. It’s too in your face and it’s corny. It’s the same issue with MIB 3. The same issue with the NEW Charlie’s Angels movie. The characters are written bad. Period. People loved the Cameron, Drew, and Lucy’s Charlie’s Angels. shyt. I even loved GI Jane. I love The Legend Of Billie Jean. Long Kiss Goodnight is one of my fav action movies of all time. Alien/Aliens, Terminator 1 and 2, Kill Bill, etc etc. And the list goes on. This is a FLAW writers have these days when they put the NARRATIVE before the writing and film. This is why TV shows are better than films at this point. It’s either a trash remake or some forced narrative bullshyt. Even the remakes are getting that treatment now and it takes away from what people actually loved about the original in the first place. It’s the same reason I can’t stand Tyler Perry movies. No subtlety in the writing. Which makes it predictable and corny. People have a problem with black movies cause they don’t like seeing black folks on screen. Don’t even compare this shyt. shyt like The Wood and The Best Man etc etc are great movies because of the writing. And because while the focus is on black people. It’s not treated like a narrative. It feels NATURAL. Either way it’s a bad comparison anyway because of the lack of black representation on film and TV especially in this day and age. 90s was the best era for minorities on film and TV.

9ba.gif

Daps
I think wonder womans flaw is she struggles dealing with the mortality as an immortal. she wants to save people and from her persective if they die she failed. First movie did a good job/bad job examining this. she was convinced the war and death would go away once she defeated aries. it showed that he wasn't really the cause of the death, but later contradicted this revelation by having the war end as soon as he died.

That's not a relatable flaw :yeshrug:

One could argue thats the determining factor in a good superhero story and a bad one. How relatable the fictional struggle is.

:yeshrug:

CHICAGO

Vol. 9: Trapped
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
I'm a 46 year old Black woman, and I find it ironic when I see men complain about female empowerment movies when white people have similar complaints about Black movies. It's weird y'all can't see the parallels. It's almost willful blindness at this point.

:dead:THIS BROAD THINKS
SHE HAS SOME TYPE OF
COMRADERY WITH WHITE WOMEN.

THE WORST TYPE OF NEGRO.
:devil:
:evil:

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
I'm a 46 year old Black woman, and I find it ironic when I see men complain about female empowerment movies when white people have similar complaints about Black movies. It's weird y'all can't see the parallels. It's almost willful blindness at this point.

i think your first mistake was trying to debate the quality of superhero movies with a bunch 20 something men when you almost 50. this movie don't have meryl strepe in it, what are you doing here? :dead: nah that's rude, my real gripe is as follows;

Some people are 'toxic' yes. but most just don't like all the sappyness and empowerment because it gets in the way of the action. Keep mind the same people you calling out for this probably love them some Ripley from Aliens, or Sarah Conner in Terminator. It's not about being against empowerment, its about being entertained.
I had the same critique about some spike lee movies even though i agree with his messages. sometimes he'll stall a whole sequence just to hammer a message into your brain. will literally have the actors stop and address the camera/audience directly in the middle of film like :mindblown: nikka i get it, continue the movie please! Doesn't mean i'm against the message. just more interested in watching a fun film.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
i think your first mistake was trying to debate the quality of superhero movies with a bunch 20 something men when you almost 50. this movie don't have meryl strepe in it, what are you doing here? :dead: nah that's rude, my real gripe is as follows;

Some people are 'toxic' yes. but most just don't like all the sappyness and empowerment because it gets in the way of the action. Keep mind the same people you calling out for this probably love them some Ripley from Aliens, or Sarah Conner in Terminator. It's not about being against empowerment, its about being entertained.
I had the same critique about some spike lee movies even though i agree with his messages. sometimes he'll stall a whole sequence just to hammer a message into your brain. will literally have the actors stop and address the camera/audience directly in the middle of film like :mindblown: nikka i get it, continue the movie please! Doesn't mean i'm against the message. just more interested in watching a fun film.
This is a good point.
For example, when they do the drunk guy in the park the first time and Diana saves Barbara. A little over the top/on the nose but so what it worked illustrating what women have to go thru. But then you bring him back? Just to have Barbara what get vengeance?
It was overkill, redundant and most of all not entertaining. :yeshrug:

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
Again. THERE IS NO PROBLEM WITH A FEMINIST ROLE IF ITS DONE RIGHT. What the fukk are u arguing with me about? The WOMAN who wrote it. Is not a writer. She’s a director. They got rid of the original writers of the first film. Which was a good film. Ur acting as if me saying it forces a narrative is the ONLY reason this movie is bad. No it isn’t. Ur right on that end. But it was ONE OF the reasons. The writer was afraid to make Diana too vulnerable which in turn hurt the script even FURTHER. I agree with u that agenda or not this film would’ve probably still been terrible. But u seem to not understand that this is also a problem. Agenda’s are being placed BEFORE the script. That’s the issue. Ripley is an iconic action character and also a feminist icon. So is Charlie Baltimore, and the list goes on. And it’s because they were treated as people over everything else. They had flaws, fears, challenges, failures, just like every other iconic action hero. Problem now. Is that in a lot of these movies with female leads the remove ALL of that. Which in return gimps the character development and imo doesn't accurately convey how STRONG women can really be. Charlie Baltimore got her ass beat to damn near the brink of death and her love for her daughter and her instilling that strength in her daughter actually gave her the will to survive. It was character development. Go watch a RECENT random action movie with a female lead. They are almost always perfect specimens who can literally do everything without struggle. I understand movies here and there like that. But too many are made like that and not only is it not believable it’s boring.

What are you talking about TWO MEN and ONE woman wrote this wack ass script. And you keep talking about vulnerability when the whole plot literally revolves around Diana losing her powers and falling in love and giving up everything. They literally made her love of Steve kyroptonite. Did you miss the part where she got her ass whipped all around the White House? Or when she's all weepy throughout half the movie because she's lonely? I swear it feels like you watched a different movie. The whole fukking premise of this one was about Diana losing herself and powers. Stop making up shyt to prove your points because this movie definitely did not hold punches on exploring vulnerability. It was the fukking premise.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town

You're right, good points. I'm done.