Official Winning Time Season 1 Thread

Sbp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans
Had a Magic video in my recommendations

On the surface level, by far the coolest athlete of all time. Really, brehs from the 1970s - 1980s seemed cooler.

:flabbynsick:heads, what happened?

Culture shift happened. By the early 90s in thing was to be "Real/Hard". The at some point in the late 00s suburbanites and swagless blacks got in the mix and here we are.

Trot LaRoc

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chi/LA
nah...it was the commercialization of sports & athletes

can't be this free & loose with your words & actions when billion dollar companies are trying to sell you & your image to children & families

everyone had to clean up their act or put up a veil

Nah that aint it....80s hoopers had a clean image. Magic was a fun loving wholesome dude who charmed white ppl with his smile n laidback swag. Most fans didnt know he was an ultra freak behind the scenes.

The 80s are when Gatorade and other corporations got involved and projected that family friendly shyt

Bc of IG/twitter, the facade is gone. You can see that your favorite player is a douchebag, scumbag etc irl....b4 that, there was still mystique and more control over the image portrayed to the public

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
Nah that aint it....80s hoopers had a clean image. Magic was a fun loving wholesome dude who charmed white ppl with his smile n laidback swag. Most fans didnt know he was an ultra freak behind the scenes.

The 80s are when Gatorade and other corporations got involved and projected that family friendly shyt

Bc of IG/twitter, the facade is gone. You can see that your favorite player is a douchebag, scumbag etc irl....b4 that, there was still mystique and more control over the image portrayed to the public
I also think the invention of the 24/7 sports/news that did it. In the 80s if a scandal happened it'd be on TV a couple of hours or days and was fighting other sports stories so it would be a one or two minute blurb. Once these news and sports stations started having 24 hours of programming to fill it lead to every story getting drug out much longer and being much bigger deals. I believe that lead to the athletes having an adversarial relationship with the sports media and the public as they didn't want to end up on that summerjam screen for something. So they became more closed off and guarded.

Add in that these teams became full blown corporations so players enter the league getting all sorts of media training and in ways it turns the players into robots to a degree. Also a lot of these kids become stars much earlier in life now with recruiting sites tracking kids so early so they aren't forced to develop personality because they are celebrities earlier in life.

I also wonder how much of a role removing coke and other drugs played into it as well.

Trot LaRoc

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chi/LA
I also think the invention of the 24/7 sports/news that did it. In the 80s if a scandal happened it'd be on TV a couple of hours or days and was fighting other sports stories so it would be a one or two minute blurb. Once these news and sports stations started having 24 hours of programming to fill it lead to every story getting drug out much longer and being much bigger deals. I believe that lead to the athletes having an adversarial relationship with the sports media and the public as they didn't want to end up on that summerjam screen for something. So they became more closed off and guarded.

Add in that these teams became full blown corporations so players enter the league getting all sorts of media training and in ways it turns the players into robots to a degree. Also a lot of these kids become stars much earlier in life now with recruiting sites tracking kids so early so they aren't forced to develop personality because they are celebrities earlier in life.

I also wonder how much of a role removing coke and other drugs played into it as well.

Agreed...the rise of 24-7 tv sports coverage and eventually all the shytty hot take talking head culture ala Stephen A and Skip were the nail in.the coffin.

Overexposure is a killer

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
You have to remember also though that along with social media most of the new era players came up in these super protected bball situations from an early age and never truly lived a life away from ball.. That's why you see them fall into these situations with ig models runnin game on them etc.. they don't understand that side of it.. from age 10 then are up in these prep school leagues and sheltered

RaspberryFitted

Boyz In Motion Member
Daps
Reppin
G-Co
Culture shift happened. By the early 90s in thing was to be "Real/Hard". The at some point in the late 00s suburbanites and swagless blacks got in the mix and here we are.
we need to revert back to the 70s in the aspect of men (really people in general) not having to feel they need to be something they’re not.

The bold is an interesting dynamic that was touched on in the Old Black Hollywood thread. These figures were everything under the sun in private but when those lights hit? It was always a show, or a performance, or a smile. Social media and news coverage has obviously destroyed the ability to be discrete but it feels nowadays keeping it TOO real is applauded. I don’t expect these public figures to be outstanding law abiding citizens… but they THEMSELVES put everything on front street and it’s like :mindblown:

hell, even in an interview discussing his sexual acts.. he still kept it cool. Was transparent, but still tasteful.
Magic one of the most charismatic people ever
most definitely. Reminds me of that kid in your school that can be thrown into any subgroup and still shine. Not due to their knowledge of the culture, but just their overall energy. Larry Bird talked about Magic wanting to take the front entrance instead of the side during the ‘92 Olympics in their HBO doc. He wanted to throw himself into the energy of fans waiting to see him, to get an autograph from him, to see bro cheese.

That “my heart’s cold” shyt is for the birds. I know there’s no incentive to be shine bright as a light bulb in 2022 but who cares.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Lon Rosen, Executive Vice President & Chief Marketing Officer of the LA Dodgers
articles saying he's not really a billionaire but he's rich and seems to be one of Magic's closest business associates

jeannie-buss-vice-president-los-angeles-lakers-and-lon-rosen-william-picture-id72332386
He’s also Magics agent for a minute. He’s the one crying in the car after Magic got his diagnosis in the beginning of the series.