Official Watchmen Thread

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
Actually he IS omniscient just not omnipotent.
Dr. Manhattan doesn't know everything. That's omniscience. He knows everything that ever has, currently is, and ever will happen to him personally. So he doesn't automatically just know people he's never met or heard of through some other fashion. He can't just tell you your fortune via text message. He can't tell you what the Powerball numbers are gonna be if he missed the drawing and never found out. Everything he knows he's experienced, or should I say experiencing.
He's closer to omnipotent since there's nearly nothing he can't do.
I see. So all hes doing is telling the people in the past what has happened in their future but he has no say on whether it happens or not? It just does and hes reporting it.
Exactly. To us, who see time linearly, it seems like he's seeing the future or can read minds. He has as much say in what happens in the future as anyone else. Cause and effect apply to him. Angela was always going to be the reason Will found out about Judd, for example. Dr. Manhattan was the conduit but it's not like he could have changed the fact that he told Will after the fact.

Whoever brought up Hodor made a great point. Bran was always the reason Hodor turned into Hodor even before Bran ever existed:whoo:

TheNatureBoy

Veteran
Daps
Man, it's extremely hard to do an episode like this and make things relatively understandable :wow:

Manhattan having that conversation with Angela in the bar and walking her through how he exists in multiple points, was a great way to show the audience such a difficult concept. Much like her during the end of that bar conversation I was intrigued and looking forward to what happens next :ohhh:.

The whole Will/Angela/chicken/egg thing at the end concerning Judd reminded me a lot of Dark on Netflix and the bootstrap paradox. Watching shows like that and Lost, 12 Monkeys over the years have helped with understanding time fukkery.

Also smart in grounding the episode mostly around the relationship between Cal/Angela. Going back to Lost days, Lindelof was always great establishing characters alongside the mystery and that is what a lot of copy-cat shows following it failed to do.

Find you a woman willing to take on a racist calvary solo to save you brehs :wow:

Time for Mr. Robot now.

Kilgore Trout

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Alabama
Dr. Manhattan doesn't know everything. That's omniscience. He knows everything that ever has, currently is, and ever will happen to him personally. So he doesn't automatically just know people he's never met or heard of through some other fashion. He can't just tell you your fortune via text message. He can't tell you what the Powerball numbers are gonna be if he missed the drawing and never found out. Everything he knows he's experienced, or should I say experiencing.
He's closer to omnipotent since there's nearly nothing he can't do.

Exactly. To us, who see time linearly, it seems like he's seeing the future or can read minds. He has as much say in what happens in the future as anyone else. Cause and effect apply to him. Angela was always going to be the reason Will found out about Judd, for example. Dr. Manhattan was the conduit but it's not like he could have changed the fact that he told Will after the fact.

Whoever brought up Hodor made a great point. Bran was always the reason Hodor turned into Hodor even before Bran ever existed:whoo:

The same director of Hold the Door Directed Not Pennys Boat with Lindeloff