Official Watchmen Thread

Jhoon

Spontaneous Mishaps and Hijinks
Daps
Haven't read any post here. About to watch tonight's episode for the first time.

I just wanted to say that last week's episode should get an emmy.
Just tonight? This show should sweep many categories. Cinematography instantly comes to mind. Screenplay too. Direction definitely.

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
Well, it explains why she chuckled when she watched Laurie talking on one of those Dr. Manhattan phones.

But overall, these was my least favorite episode. After being so meticulous throughout the season in its world-building and reveals that are very nuanced and not felt forced, this episode just tossed all of that and went for that cliche comic-book plot reveal with the 7th Cavalry and Lady Trieu. And the whole Dr. Manhattan reveal is TOO left field. That felt like a huge jumping the shark too me.

The last episode was definitely the best, I hope the next episode makes up big time for this.

Why would they hold it in? Similar to Veidt. If he thought they had a chance to stop them, he wouldn't have given them the opportunity. Both sides seem to know the other's timetable and are depending on it. Trieu didn't seem to mind that her Millennium Clock wasn't going to go off until after they capture Manhattan and kill him.

Keene could have had Abar killed but didn't. He just wanted her out of the way, so he apparently already knows who Manhattan is.

The trapdoor thing and Laurie giving all the info to Crawford's wife seemed ditzy and did make me roll my eyes.

A.R.$

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Well, it explains why she chuckled when she watched Laurie talking on one of those Dr. Manhattan phones.

But overall, these was my least favorite episode. After being so meticulous throughout the season in its world-building and reveals that are very nuanced and not felt forced, this episode just tossed all of that and went for that cliche comic-book plot reveal with the 7th Cavalry and Lady Trieu. And the whole Dr. Manhattan reveal is TOO left field. That felt like a huge jumping the shark too me.

The last episode was definitely the best, I hope the next episode makes up big time for this.
Funny,
I feel just the opposite. I loved this episode and wasn’t that crazy about last week episode. Last week episode was probably my least favorite so far.

Last edited:

JMurder

SOHH Member since 01...
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, NYC
I wish I could binge the series so far just to look for clues about Cal being Dr. Manhattan. There were easter eggs cluing us in to Will being Hooded Justice so I figure there must've been the same for Cal
Just finished. :wow: I read a theory week 2 that Cal was Dr. Manhattan and almost posted it on here but it seemed too wild.

is Veidt Lady Trieu’s dad? She mentioned that her pop “would be here soon.”

Lindelof is gonna have to stick this landing in two episodes. He made two major departures from the graphic novel (HJ being black and Dr. M being a human married to Angela) he’s gonna have to make the end justify those major changes. Before then he was skating on somewhat of an expanded universe with no changes to the OG characters

I don't think he made any major departures at all. He took liberties with the source material yes, but he didn't change anything that significantly contradicts what was previously true.

Hooded Justice's identity was unknown to EVERYONE, and even when he was discussed by his fellow minutemen, they could only go by the same characteristics the public knew. Conceivably, a black man could have painted his face white under the mask to fool everyone into believing that he was white.

The same goes for Dr. Manhattan. His entire relationship with Angela couldn't have started earlier than 1996, but even that seems too early. Her near death during the White Night occurred in 2016, so I would have to believe that their relationship began no more than 5 years earlier than that. Either way, we're looking at Dr. Manhattan returning to earth anywhere from 10-25 years after the climax of the Watchmen comicbook. I'm inching towards them meeting around 2012 when Veidt first disappears. Either way, anything that was added to Dr. Manhattan's story comes well after the source material. I haven't seen any changes yet

Edit: According to the Peteypedia, Dr. Manhattan became Calvin Jelani (now Abar) 12/19/2009. That's 23 years after the source material. I don't see how that changes anything from the book

Last edited:

PoorAndDangerous

Superstar
Daps
I wish I could binge the series so far just to look for clues about Cal being Dr. Manhattan. There were easter eggs cluing us in to Will being Hooded Justice so I figure there must've been the same for Cal

I don't think he made any major departures at all. He took liberties with the source material yes, but he didn't change anything that significantly contradicts what was previously true.

Hooded Justice's identity was unknown to EVERYONE, and even when he was discussed by his fellow minutemen, they could only go by the same characteristics the public knew. Conceivably, a black man could have painted his face white under the mask to fool everyone into believing that he was white.
in the graphic novel he's rumored to be some german circus strongman right? he faught in germany based on the show, could've faked an accent?

Jhoon

Spontaneous Mishaps and Hijinks
Daps
Why would they hold it in? Similar to Veidt. If he thought they had a chance to stop them, he wouldn't have given them the opportunity. Both sides seem to know the other's timetable and are depending on it. Trieu didn't seem to mind that her Millennium Clock wasn't going to go off until after they capture Manhattan and kill him.

Keene could have had Abar killed but didn't. He just wanted her out of the way, so he apparently already knows who Manhattan is.

The trapdoor thing and Laurie giving all the info to Crawford's wife seemed ditzy and did make me roll my eyes.
I think Laurie knew. Don’t forget the earlier episode of Laurie eye assaulting Cal.

JMurder

SOHH Member since 01...
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, NYC
in the graphic novel he's rumored to be some german circus strongman right? he faught in germany based on the show, could've faked an accent?
Yes but in the comics, the rumor is based on his physical build and the fact that he disappeared around the time the strongman was killed. There was nothing more substantive than that

PoorAndDangerous

Superstar
Daps
Yes but in the comics, the rumor is based on his physical build and the fact that he disappeared around the time the strongman was killed. There was nothing more substantive than that
Why german though? didn't they specifically refer to him being german?? I assume he must've talked like one.