Official Watchmen Thread

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
Obviously this was the Emmy episode. Still liked it but you can tell they trying to win something with this.
For writer/director/cinematography not acting.

Jean Smart’s Space Junk episode should be nominated for acting.

King should submit It’s Summer.

JMurder

SOHH Member since 01...
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, NYC
You're comparing the comic version with Will. There were allusions in the graphic novel to indicate HJ's sexuality, there was nothing in the HBO series that alluded to Will being gay, hence the shoehorned gay sex scene.
I'm busy watching Black Lightning now, you are more than welcomed to join the convo in that thread.
oh nah, I've already admitted how I think it was shoehorned in but I also stated that I don't think there was a better way to have done it since it is not that important to the overall storyline. And my belief that the only reason that it was shoehorned in was for continuity purposes. I don't think Lindelof makes Hooded Justice gay unless he felt (as many of us feel) that he was clearly gay in the comics and didn't want to change that)

I'm not up on Black Lighting but I hear good things

Last edited:

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
I don't think it was whitewashing. Legit no one knew who breh was outside of Captain Metropolis so it would be fair to assume the breh was white since that's how he portrayed himself
Kind of. They changed his actions to fit the narrative which further disgusted his identity otherwise more people probably would have figured out the way Metropolis did.

Auger

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
6ix
I don't think it was whitewashing. Legit no one knew who breh was outside of Captain Metropolis so it would be fair to assume the breh was white since that's how he portrayed himself
But they portrayed him having gay relations with Capt. Metropolis? how did that become public knowledge?

JMurder

SOHH Member since 01...
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, NYC
But they portrayed him having gay relations with Capt. Metropolis? how did that become public knowledge?
Between Hollis' "Under the Hood", Silk Spectre's interview and their actions when they were out in public...it wasn't a tough discovery to figure out

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
This really. I was absolutely baffled at the preview saying 'the final three episodes'. How the fukk are they going to wrap everything up when it seems like half the subplots haven't even left act 1?
More casual behavior from you not having seen The Leftovers :sas2:

IDC if anything gets answered because its such a joy watching this show week to week.

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
There is nothing strong about his character anymore. He is a scumbag and traitor. He Had a beautiful black wife who held him down when racist cacs tries to kill him. And not only does he cheat on her, he does it with a white man and destroys his black family.. There is no honor in that. He represents one of the most reprehensible and vile characterizations of black men with the down low aids spreading culture.

Hollywood keeps trying to push this narrative that everyone is gay. You don't just casually insert a gay narrative into a story like this. They are tackling some serious subject matter that deserves more respect and tact. It's an insult to my intelligence that character who been assualted and traumatized by racist cacs his whole life would be sexually lusting after them when he got a black family that needs him. This is no different than that c00n slave play that was on Broadway.
See, I could rock with your theory in your first paragraph if you dudes stayed in the least bit consistent with it. Now we have a problem with cheating? I wonder if you or anyone that dapped you or thinks that way was bemoaning cheating and destroying a black family when Ghost was busy clapping Angela's Latina cheeks in Power, getting his daughter killed, and having his wife and son despise him. When Franklin was introducing crack to his neighborhood and destroying countless black lives and families, y'all stopped watching Snowfall, right? Avon Barksdale? I could go on. Miss me with this sudden care for the black family on a forum that's popularized #GetMarriedBrehs :mjlol:

Hollywood keeps pushing the narrative that everyone's gay, yet there are no gay lead characters on any noteworthy blockbuster shows or movies. I'm still waiting to find out what this "gay agenda" is, btw. You mean their desire to have people like themselves represented in entertainment? That's literally every damn minority groups desire. Every group, outside of straight white males has an agenda by this flimsy logic. Gay people exist, and they sure as hell didn't start existing yesterday or this decade. The sooner y'all get over it, the fewer gray hairs you'll accumulate being furious over such silly, inconsequential shyt.

Edit:
As far as growing up with racism in that era and "lusting after" white people, does Jack Johnson ring a bell? :patrice:

Last edited:

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
It's not about him being gay in and of itself, it's the fact that 9 times outta 10 when a gay character is inserted into a story, he's Black. White gay characters are presented as obviously effeminate and are usually background characters. When is the last time there was a masculine gay white male protagonist on any show? I'm not mad he's gay, I'm mad that 99% of the time there is some gay shyt presented in TV nowadays there's a Black man involved. *That* is the agenda, and you can be mad at that without being homophobic or bigoted :manny:

WTH do you be watching to encounter this?

lamont614

Superstar
Daps
I find it interesting how wildly upset people are that Hooded Justice was really a gay black man without even realizing that this episode was actually CONDEMNING him for being a gay black man. There's a point to and a reference of it being shown as a negative to not only live a double life as a crime fighter, but as a lover. This was why after he realized that white devil, Mr. Metropolis, was only using him for sexual pleasure is why he realized at his son wanting to be like him and why his wife blamed him for being that influence and left his ass. It wasn't suppose to be promoted as a GOOD THING of the fact he was gay.

:lupe:

Professor K.

rap game Paul Millsap
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta, GA
WTH do you be watching to encounter this?
I watch a lot of TV breh :manny:

it's practically a prerequisite for shows to either have a gay Black dude or a Black woman/white man relationship because "iNcLuSiViTy" nowadays

Straight Black men are theoretically the only ones left unrepresented in these scenarios, which is the demographic the powers that be give the least amount of fukks about

So basically they'll make the one Black/gay character also gay/Black so they can kill two birds with one stone and leave more room in the story for more white people :unimpressed:

yyy

All Star
Daps
This is so deep that it's actually before it's time. America's not ready to confront its racial past. Yet this is what the country must do. Without shows like this, people believe nonsense like "Making America Great Again." As far as the show goes, I'm all in. At the same time, after living through GoT's I hope the story has an actual ending. There are so many different story lines now that it's easy to see one of them just gets ignored. Every episode I watch I find myself hoping that I'll get answers. And while I do sometimes, what I end up with is more questions. Where is this all headed? What was the betrayal that Will spoke about a couple episodes ago? Where/when is Ozymandias. And how does Dr. Mahattan fit in. So many questions smh.

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
oh nah, I've already admitted how I think it was shoehorned in but I also stated that I don't think there was a better way to have done it since it is not that important to the overall storyline. And my belief that the only reason that it was shoehorned in was for continuity purposes. I don't think Lindelof makes Hooded Justice gay unless he felt (as many of us feel) that he was clearly gay in the comics and didn't want to change that)

I'm not up on Black Lighting but I hear good things
Binge watch it from the beginning. It's a really good DC universe show.