Official Watchmen Thread

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
The more I think about it, it’s kind of laughable that no one would’ve figured out that Hooded Justice was black. I’ll roll with the eye paint working, nobody ever taking his hood off in years of crime fighting, and the fact he clearly sounds like a black guy. But since they made him gay, it’s alluding you people figuring out his hidden lifestyle. No way people in this universe realize he’s gay but don’t realize he’s black.

One thing I do think they did well tho is play up his “superhuman strength” when he was just a regular black guy. Shows that the media/white culture views black people as physically stronger than we are. This is shown by how police shoot black men because they fear we’re “superhuman” and how doctors think we can handle more pain.

Devilinurear

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Swamp thing and lost girls.
Your going to hate it though if you dislike this.

Also you dont know your history batman and Robin sexuality was questioned in the 40s that is why they added batwoman and bat girl

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
This should be a ban-able post.

Possibly the worst post ive read on any forum this year.

:hhh:
While I don't agree with ANY of the shyt @JMurder has been saying about last night's episode, I don't think he meant any harm with that post. He made a bad joke by trying to quote a classic movie (Don't Be A Menace). Here's how the actual line goes (it was funny when Chris Spencer said it): Preach: I'm just tryin' to do to white girls what the white man's been doin' to us for 400 years. Crazy Legs: Yeah, what's that? Preach: F*** 'em.

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
The more I think about it, it’s kind of laughable that no one would’ve figured out that Hooded Justice was black. I’ll roll with the eye paint working, nobody ever taking his hood off in years of crime fighting, and the fact he clearly sounds like a black guy. But since they made him gay, it’s alluding you people figuring out his hidden lifestyle. No way people in this universe realize he’s gay but don’t realize he’s black.

One thing I do think they did well tho is play up his “superhuman strength” when he was just a regular black guy. Shows that the media/white culture views black people as physically stronger than we are. This is shown by how police shoot black men because they fear we’re “superhuman” and how doctors think we can handle more pain.

Considering all the issues the others had, outside of Nite Owl, they probably preferred not to question it.

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
If I'm gonna be serious for a moment...for those of you who are only upset about the sex scene, that's fine. Some things aren't things you want to see and that's ok. If we're being adults about this though, the scene wasn't that long, and it wasn't just thrown in there just to throw it in there. In order for the story-line to work, I don't think Hooded Justice being gung-ho to join up with a group of white men and women who may or may not be down to fight racist nazis makes sense unless there was some sort of serious character flaw. Why not? Do people who joined the military to fight al Queda, or joined the police to fight crime need a serious character flaw? Probably not; maybe they just wanted to make the world a better place.
Will being blinded by lust makes an otherwise ridiculous story make sense. So does Will wanting to prevent another Tulsa massacre. Finding a group of other people willing to fight injustice was the only motivation that Will would've needed.
And it ties into the original Watchmen comic without changing a single thing about it. It does though, Breh. In the original graphic novel, Hooded Justice's homosexuality was never confirmed, only implied. They could've left it that way for the tv show.

I thought this episode was pretty good. I think too many of you are focused on the fact that Will was gay, and not on the more important aspect that in a retelling of one of the greatest graphic novel stories ever written, all of the masked super heroes were inspired by a black man determined to put an end to racist factions within his neighborhood. The fact that he's gay has no bearing on that, and the fact that some of you are downplaying what an incredible feat that is in this story just goes to show how you are allowing certain prejudices cloud your judgment.
You made an important point. Once that unnecessary gay sex scene was thrown in, a lot of the other admirable things about Will didn't resonate with some viewers. For some people, that inclusion ruined an otherwise great episode of Watchmen.

You can be upset with showing the homosexual act...but don't downplay what a GREAT reveal this is

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
Swamp thing and lost girls.
Your going to hate it though if you dislike this.

Also you dont know your history batman and Robin sexuality was questioned in the 40s that is why they added batwoman and bat girl
They mentioned Hooded Justice in the Swamp Thing comics? I'll look that up.

I said pre-1960's tv show. The 40's came before the 60's. I know my history.

Devilinurear

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm looking for the books where you said that Alan Moore stated that Hooded Justice was gay.

Hooded justice is not some mainstream superhero

He was only mentioned in watchmen comics
But we never get a point of view from him and have to view him from others mostly nite owl and silk specture who never had sex with him because the relationship was set up.

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
Hooded justice is not some mainstream superhero

He was only mentioned in watchmen comics
But we never get a point of view from him and have to view him from others mostly nite owl and silk specture who never had sex with him because the relationship was set up.
So he was never actually gay in the comics after all...
:ohhh: