Official ‘True Detective: Night Country’ Thread | HBO

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
The Lone Star beer was a one other nod to S1.

It's good. It's a little heavy handed. The argument between the two leads felt like something on Twitter, but that's ok. They are neck deep in cliches, but also, that's ok. One of the reviews I read noted the writing in S1 could be overdone, overly stylish, debates on theology and "pyschos fear", redemption-- but that it made the performances and the scenes so fun, and I agree.

The writing here is harsher and tighter, doesn't give the performers or the scenes room to breathe. But, again, that's ok. It seems like a quality show that will end up being a great watch, like Mare of Easttown, which was also filled with cliches, but I loved. Also, only watched once, whereas ran back S1 about 3 or 4 times.

Last edited:

Superstar
Daps
I don't think the water supply being fukked up is a spoiler, they mentioned the water was fukked up at that guy's apartment. How it would play into the lab, I don't really know...

They’re an artic research lab and I think some of the samples they take may come from deep under the ice/ground. The whiteboard that says “we’re all dead” had some data written around the edges. I think one of them mentioned depth.

**** my bad it mentions “ice core” plus there are shelves of core samples that Jodie looks at****

Last edited:

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
I thought it was okay. I wanna watch the series preview, but don’t wanna spoil shyt so imma chill.

I also don’t think this should be in the True Detective realm/lore.
I agree. Story so far is interesting but it wouldn’t shock me to later find out HBO attached the True Detective name as a way to reel in the fanbase. This feels like a different show for the most part.

Edit: Apparently it was a standalone script when Issa initially pitched it, so go figure.

Last edited:

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Pizzolato maybe isn't that talented. Cary Fukunaga had a lot more to do with S1, in terms of how it turned out, not more than Pizolato, but without him the entire show evaporated. He had NOTHING on S2. Did he even do anything on 3?

Nero Christ

Sniper out now on all digital platforms brev
Daps
Reppin
St. Lucia
I've seen like 5 different people comment on the CGI and the deer....

I dunno maybe I'm crazy but it looked fine to me. Do you cats have extensive experience around deer? I'm being serious. I'm kinda confused as to what looks bad about it. I was expecting PS2 quality reading the thread.

Fred.

It's the way the CGI deers were moving along the real background...It never looked right

Don't know if this murmuration from S1 was real or CGI but if it's CGI you can see how clean it was

Trav

Marathon Mentality 🏁
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TMC 8-24
Read that this was never originally written/conceived or pitched as True Detective, but when Lopez pitched it, HBO decided to use that to attract star power like Foster. So, some of the criticisms are going to make sense.

I can see this. That would be some goofy ass shyt though. Hope it turns out dope either way.

Also, reminds me of Mare of Easttown more than anything on first watch. A little X Files too, for sure. Some of the social aspects seem a little forced, review I read said it included a lot of social issues for 6 episodes. But that guy is sometimes a little white and a little old.

Yup, I was getting them same 'Mare' vibes as well which is why I low-key wish they paired Foster wit a dude to play off of maybe. But I guess what the "protege", ole fukkboi's son is there for kind of.

And that's not to say Navarro was bad or anything but this is her 1st real big show, and I'm not sure how much the two grumpy women thing is gonna work.

Foster is in her bag tho.

Atmospheric and impressive use of colors/setting, looks great. The use of blues esp, reminds me of Mann's work. Blue and that kind of aqua color is everywhere. First shot was kinda shaky CGI, yeah. Running this back.

Yeah, the "character" of "Alaska" was prob one of the brightest point of the premiere so far.

They did enough for me to be all in on a limited 6 ep season tho. We'll see how it plays out