Official ‘True Detective: Night Country’ Thread | HBO

PoorAndDangerous

Superstar
Daps
Read that this was never originally written/conceived or pitched as True Detective, but when Lopez pitched it, HBO decided to use that to attract star power like Foster. So, some of the criticisms are going to make sense.

Also, reminds me of Mare of Easttown more than anything on first watch. A little X Files too, for sure. Some of the social aspects seem a little forced, review I read said it included a lot of social issues for 6 episodes. But that guy is sometimes a little white and a little old.

Atmospheric and impressive use of colors/setting, looks great. The use of blues esp, reminds me of Mann's work. Blue and that kind of aqua color is everywhere. First shot was kinda shaky CGI, yeah. Running this back.
I got some x files vibes for sure. I enjoyed the first ep. Hope it is written well enough to have a good payoff

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
One of the biggest talking points I’m seeing right now is the possibility of contaminated water supply being the root cause of all these hallucinations and it kinda tracks for me after re-watch. Would give the show leeway in playing tricks on the audiences with those supernatural, borderline cosmic horror elements while still keeping things relatively grounded in the end and not uh…fully jumping the shark.

I'm all in supernatural or creepy. The nighttime 24hrs is helping the vibe alot. I'll give the show more time for more suspenseful scenes.
That’s a big part of what made ‘30 Days of Night’ so terrifying to me. The vibe is different but this is still shot like a horror movie. The shadow swoosh at the beginning had me :dead: though.