Official ‘True Detective: Night Country’ Thread | HBO

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Season 2 need more time in the oven...
Definitely. That Vinci shootout was :flabbynsick:, and it was supposed to be one of the most impactful events in the season. I still remember the freeze-frame at the end.
B2IqNtK.png

Though S2 did provide some cool sequences. Like the David Lynch surreal dream at the bar and the Eyes Wide Shut esque party.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I still need to peep S3.

S1 is one of the best seasons of television ever. Still I feel like it was lightning in a bottle. It's hard to subvert expectations twice. The show took something we've all see countless times - the two detective story - and did it in a way we weren't expecting. While S2 was bad it def got something right: it realized you can't do the same thing twice (ie two detectives) so it brought in more characters. It just happened to...not be good, outside of a couple great moments.

Basically I'm not sure there's a point of True Detective being a thing unless they can find a way to do something new in the detective/noir subgenre again. I don't think HBO is thinking about it in those terms though. Their terms are moreso making something decent enough that the press can say is reminiscent of S1, even if it's not. To increase viewers.

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
There's a feeling consistent in all three seasons of an overwhelming, hidden evil that can't be stopped. The protagonists can unravel a case layer by layer and only solve one part of the puzzle in the end. The ultimate realization that there's so much more corruption, lies, and evil beyond that can't be stopped is very real. The evil's out there, and will always be out there.

Walking a thin line teasing supernatural elements throughout the season while ultimately staying grounded in the end. I feel like other shows would've blown their load early with the Yellow King occultism.

The weight of the case being bigger than ever before seen, and you'd get this sense when you start seeing protagonists go to lengths a typical detective would never go to.

The settings of Louisiana, LA, and Arkansas Ozarks are just as big of characters as the rest of the cast. Those aerial sky shots in the first season did a great job of reminding the audience that Rust and Marty, as interesting of characters they are, are still two little fish in a big ocean.

At least to me, those are some elements that pop out that separate it from the ordinary procedural cop show.

:ehh::wow: