Official ‘True Detective: Night Country’ Thread | HBO

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Season 2's story was good. It was just some of the dialogue and acting was subpar. I didn't hate it.
It was always doomed for living in the first season’s shadow, but the story would’ve benefitted if it had more time in the oven. It was like blue balls…in the script.

I did think it was cool how Paul went from someone I always rolled my eyes at to one of my favorite characters by the end of the season. His scene in the climax of the penultimate episode with that somber piano piece gets me every time. :mjcry:

Last edited:

Superstar
Daps
It was always doomed for living in the first season’s shadow, but the story would’ve benefitted if it had more time in the oven. It was like like blue balls…in the script.

I do think it was cool how Paul went from someone I always rolled my eyes at to one of my favorite characters by the end of the season. His scene at the climax of the penultimate episode gets me every time. :mjcry:

I grew to enjoy it once I finally finished the season. It was also cool how they related all the protagonists to their steps in the eastern book if the dead.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Apparently it's hard to stretch out a mystery/investigation for ten episodes.

I mean, you can do anything with great writing. But he didn't have Thomas Ligotti to "borrow" from for seasons 2-3.

He should have. :manny:

Just steal Ligotti's whole shyt. He ain't gonna sue, fukk it. Hell, a decent chunk of Lovecraft's material is public domain too, bite all that shyt. As long as the end result is dope nobody is gonna give a fukk.

Agree entirely. The first season of the show is basically this amazing tribute to southern horror, American Gothic, and early sci-fi, set and filmed in a part of the country that is beautiful, but haunting, spooky and mysterious.

I think they used his mental illness to try and generate a supernatural vibe through the "time travel" aspect, but S1 was really layered in a Twin Peaks/borderline X-Files level of mystique.

Then the second season was in industrial LA county :pachaha:

See above.

Fred.