Official Thread for Math Hoffa's My Expert Opinion Podcast

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Mecca really trying to argue that kids wasn't shooting each other in the 80s and 90s?

I fukking hate old heads and I'm an old head. But the way we try to act like every new generation is so much worse than ours like these kids are so bad today. We was way worse. It's not even close. nikkas just be chatting

ya man early 90s especially was treacherous

T.H.E.GOD

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I gotta disagree with ya. We had wars against blocks and we had bats and would handle it that way. Rarely a gun came out and warning shots first was always led off if someone had the grip. Drug dealers were killing drug dealers. The difference now is killing is being normalized with young people like it’s a game and for gang culture. Killing just cuz they the “opp” per the code and not even knowing who they killing. Back then, gang was corny. Nietas tried to come to the park and setup a meeting to discipline their own and we ran them the fukk up outta there with no guns. They didn’t come back with guns or none of that. It wasn’t worth it. Now with jail being like a place to hang with your gang, kids are caring less and less to go to jail. That’s my take.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
When they all started rapping.......one of the best moments on his podcast ever

ive always said nikkas bleed is biggies magnum opus. its pretty much the peak of rhyming imo and i cant think of any song that displayed bigs skill like that. elite storytelling, humor, wit, flow, stories within stories as evidenced here. big could have built like 20 songs other songs just from the main plotline. shyt is crazy. that vid made me run he song back like 5x just now lol

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
ive always said nikkas bleed is biggies magnum opus. its pretty much the peak of rhyming imo and i cant think of any song that displayed bigs skill like that. elite storytelling, humor, wit, flow, stories within stories as evidenced here. big could have built like 20 songs other songs just from the main plotline. shyt is crazy. that vid made me run he song back like 5x just now lol
Truth bro. Just Just like SP said, watch someone steal the idea of making a movie from the character Arizona Ron now lol. Big was that vivid in his rhymes. GOAT shyt from the GOAT

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
Mecca really trying to argue that kids wasn't shooting each other in the 80s and 90s?

I fukking hate old heads and I'm an old head. But the way we try to act like every new generation is so much worse than ours like these kids are so bad today. We was way worse. It's not even close. nikkas just be chatting

yeah, nikkas think because it's easier to see and hear about now that it's worse.

I don't know what other cats were doing in the mid 90s, but I'll tell anybody: I didn't live through them, I survived through them.

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
I gotta disagree with ya. We had wars against blocks and we had bats and would handle it that way. Rarely a gun came out and warning shots first was always led off if someone had the grip. Drug dealers were killing drug dealers. The difference now is killing is being normalized with young people like it’s a game and for gang culture. Killing just cuz they the “opp” per the code and not even knowing who they killing. Back then, gang was corny. Nietas tried to come to the park and setup a meeting to discipline their own and we ran them the fukk up outta there with no guns. They didn’t come back with guns or none of that. It wasn’t worth it. Now with jail being like a place to hang with your gang, kids are caring less and less to go to jail. That’s my take.

I can't speak firsthand on shyt I didn't experience, but bruh....

Out in California gangbangers/rival blocks and hoods were killing each other in the 70s and that increased in the 80s. Only dudes from California that could say they ran the streets before gunplay became a major means to settle issues, are dudes who were around before 1975, really before '70. The average kid who goes outside is a high school-aged teenager, so logically the youngest brothers who would be able to remember streets with no gunplay, would be 60 at minimum today...

Both my parents are from the streets in Sacramento and in they mid-50s, they too young to be in streets that never had gunplay...

My step-dad is 57, born in '65, and from Little Rock and was never in the streets, but LR didn't start turning up until around a decade later than California, so mid-80s. So even though he wasn't a street guy he was old enough to see when shyt really hit LR and flipped over to real gun and gang violence...

Crack, national gangs, and access to automatic guns did hit some places a little later than others, but I think by the early 90s this shyt was widespread in probably 99% of places that had black populations. I'm pointing that out to say, that in any sizable city with a decent black community, if you're older than 45, I can't imagine never experiencing streets that didn't have gun killings unless you're from a small town in the middle of nowhere that caught trends way later...

Pretty much no one anywhere younger than 45 can say in complete honesty they grew up in a time where dudes didn't settle beefs with guns, and again in Cali can't no one under 55-60 make that claim and be telling the truth about it. But I'll leave room for the fact I didn't live thru those times anywhere, I'm not saying this from experience, this is just an educated guess...

I'm 33, born in '89, started living illegally in '04, and there are people in my general age bracket who will straight faced say we weren't all about guns, we fought, etc. That just tells me dudes weren't really outside at the ages they say they were, and/or dudes are speaking very individually. I've met a guy like this in person (he's only 37 currently) and have seen this on social media a few times, people my age swearing we were so different...

We threw hands, and then dudes graduate to guns. This isn't different with any generation, going back a half-century. It's the same shyt every era...

Dudes killed more in eras past, so if any era was infatuated with murder culture it would have to be earlier ones. A real contrast I've observed from even when I was young, and I'd imagine eras preceding mine too, is that guns, which were never terribly unaccessible, are even more accessible era by era, and with that dudes can cosplay as gun clappers more than actually having to be the shooter, it's part of the attention whore social media/Drill era. Which, obviously there was pump fakers in any era, but dudes were sniffed out and pressed on more 10+ years ago than the present, social media has created a "buffer class" of pseudo street guys who manufacture situations to look tough as much as cats actually having to stand up thru some organic shyt...

You said Netas so I'm assuming you from NY/NJ, maybe there gangs weren't the wave depending on your age, but I can say for sure gangs were alive and well everywhere I was at by the mid-00s, and jail culture has been cool to street dudes just as long as gunplay...

Just my two cents...

T.H.E.GOD

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I can't speak firsthand on shyt I didn't experience, but bruh....

Out in California gangbangers/rival blocks and hoods were killing each other in the 70s and that increased in the 80s. Only dudes from California that could say they ran the streets before gunplay became a major means to settle issues, are dudes who were around before 1975, really before '70. The average kid who goes outside is a high school-aged teenager, so logically the youngest brothers who would be able to remember streets with no gunplay, would be 60 at minimum today...

Both my parents are from the streets in Sacramento and in they mid-50s, they too young to be in streets that never had gunplay...

My step-dad is 57, born in '65, and from Little Rock and was never in the streets, but LR didn't start turning up until around a decade later than California, so mid-80s. So even though he wasn't a street guy he was old enough to see when shyt really hit LR and flipped over to real gun and gang violence...

Crack, national gangs, and access to automatic guns did hit some places a little later than others, but I think by the early 90s this shyt was widespread in probably 99% of places that had black populations. I'm pointing that out to say, that in any sizable city with a decent black community, if you're older than 45, I can't imagine never experiencing streets that didn't have gun killings unless you're from a small town in the middle of nowhere that caught trends way later...

Pretty much no one anywhere younger than 45 can say in complete honesty they grew up in a time where dudes didn't settle beefs with guns, and again in Cali can't no one under 55-60 make that claim and be telling the truth about it. But I'll leave room for the fact I didn't live thru those times anywhere, I'm not saying this from experience, this is just an educated guess...

I'm 33, born in '89, started living illegally in '04, and there are people in my general age bracket who will straight faced say we weren't all about guns, we fought, etc. That just tells me dudes weren't really outside at the ages they say they were, and/or dudes are speaking very individually. I've met a guy like this in person (he's only 37 currently) and have seen this on social media a few times, people my age swearing we were so different...

We threw hands, and then dudes graduate to guns. This isn't different with any generation, going back a half-century. It's the same shyt every era...

Dudes killed more in eras past, so if any era was infatuated with murder culture it would have to be earlier ones. A real contrast I've observed from even when I was young, and I'd imagine eras preceding mine too, is that guns, which were never terribly unaccessible, are even more accessible era by era, and with that dudes can cosplay as gun clappers more than actually having to be the shooter, it's part of the attention whore social media/Drill era. Which, obviously there was pump fakers in any era, but dudes were sniffed out and pressed on more 10+ years ago than the present, social media has created a "buffer class" of pseudo street guys who manufacture situations to look tough as much as cats actually having to stand up thru some organic shyt...

You said Netas so I'm assuming you from NY/NJ, maybe there gangs weren't the wave depending on your age, but I can say for sure gangs were alive and well everywhere I was at by the mid-00s, and jail culture has been cool to street dudes just as long as gunplay...

Just my two cents...

Yea, I’m talking strictly New York (Bronx to be exact)

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
I’ll say this much. I came up in KC. All through the 80s streets was safe. We was used to walking a couple blocks to the candy store or library or even to school or to visit family. By mid-90s that shyt was a wrap. Outside of more murders occurring it was just a lot more crime in general. Gang violence had started, more robberies, break-ins and all that in my area. And from there never really changed.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps

Violence was much higher in the early to mid 90s than now. To me it shows the power of media. I remember when my mom was president of the block safety club for concerned moms. Folks were begging police to do their job, churches were having men patrol neighborhoods...shyt was bad. I'm not saying things aren't bad now in parts of the country but it doesn't compare, especially when it comes to gun violence.

I liked Mecca initially since I was a backpacker at one point but dude is becoming nausuating with the "back in the day" vibes.

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
I’ll say this much. I came up in KC. All through the 80s streets was safe. We was used to walking a couple blocks to the candy store or library or even to school or to visit family. By mid-90s that shyt was a wrap. Outside of more murders occurring it was just a lot more crime in general. Gang violence had started, more robberies, break-ins and all that in my area. And from there never really changed.
Crack era bro. It affected & ran through all of our hoods in the States

OGBobbyJohnson

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Tri State Area
Why Math still got that corny ass song as the theme for his podcast? That shyt is like super duper, really really ass, :laugh:

I guess if it aint broke don't fix it, podcast is obviously working so fukk it.
it’s been some weeks since I watched this but I see he finally ditched it lol