Official The Witcher Thread (R.I.P. - fukk Superman)

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
:lupe: @MidniteJay @FAH1223 @Brandeezy @Devilinurear @TheNatureBoy @hex I'm seeing how much hype this show is getting & i'm considering bingeing it. How does this show compare to "The Last Kingdom"?

More monsters and magic in Witcher breh than TLK. But I’d say TLK S1 has a much more direct story. More politics.

Witcher is occurring 3 different timelines. Yennefer the oldest, Geralt in the middle and Ciri in present. It’ll all link in the last 2 episodes.

but watch it! It’s good and you’ll get loooed into the world.

Brandeezy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
East ATL

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
:lupe: @MidniteJay @FAH1223 @Brandeezy @Devilinurear @TheNatureBoy @hex I'm seeing how much hype this show is getting & i'm considering bingeing it. How does this show compare to "The Last Kingdom"?

Can't really compare it to "The Last Kingdom", which is more an historical drama.

This has more magic and monsters than even "Game Of Thrones". In the world of "The Witcher", pretty much everyone knows and accepts monsters and magic exist.

A Witcher is basically a hit man people hire to hunt monsters. They are taken as children and mutated with magic and potions to make them super human. They can use magic, potions, etc. to give them an advantage in combat.

That's just Geralt's story though. There is two other characters (Ciri and Yennefer) that are very important later on, so the show focuses on them a lot too. There's a bard character (Jaskier, aka Dandelion) that is straight jokes. :mjlol:

The only major complaints are:

1. The CGI is ass in some scenes, probably because Netflix didn't know exactly how much money a series like this would cost. But the first season was a hit so I expect a budget increase for the 2nd season.

2. This didn't bother me but there is three separate time lines going on, that follow Geralt, Ciri and Yennefer. If you aren't paying close attention there's no indication other than dialogue (and previously dead characters being alive) that they're jumping around. Also Geralt, Yennefer, and all the magic users in the show don't age....so they took the same even though 30 years have passed.

Anyway, it's a dope show. You should check it out.

Fred.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Can't really compare it to "The Last Kingdom", which is more an historical drama.

This has more magic and monsters than even "Game Of Thrones". In the world of "The Witcher", pretty much everyone knows and accepts monsters and magic exist.

A Witcher is basically a hit man people hire to hunt monsters. They are taken as children and mutated with magic and potions to make them super human. They can use magic, potions, etc. to give them an advantage in combat.

That's just Geralt's story though. There is two other characters (Ciri and Yennefer) that are very important later on, so the show focuses on them a lot too. There's a bard character (Jaskier, aka Dandelion) that is straight jokes. :mjlol:

1. The CGI is ass in some scenes, probably because Netflix didn't know exactly how much money a series like this would cost. But the first season was a hit so I expect a budget increase for the 2nd season.

2. This didn't bother me but there is three separate time lines going on, that follow Geralt, Ciri and Yennefer. If you aren't paying close attention there's no indication other than dialogue (and previously dead characters being alive) that they're jumping around. Also Geralt, Yennefer, and all the magic users in the show don't age....so they took the same even though 30 years have passed.

Fred.
One thing people don't realize is that is also a dark take on classic fairy tales.

episode 1 the lesser evil for example. Was inpsired by sleeping beauty, Princess Renfri travels with 7 companions. I think she mentions in the book that 7 dwarfs or halflings rescued her with she was banished from the kindgom. at this point it's just 7 thugs. They make subtle references to poison apples in the book, which they gave a slight homage to in the episode. But instead of kissing a knight waking up and living happily ever after, she kisses the knight he falls asleep then wakes up and murders her and all her companions. and the evil sorcerer with the apple wins.

all the other story bear semblances to classic fairy tales in this fashion.

PoorAndDangerous

Superstar
Daps

Fred.
I thought the CGI was about par for the course. Serious question, has there ever been a show where you can say it had great CGI? The dragons looked good in later seasons of game of thrones but whenever they had to interact with people and the environment it showed it’s cracks. Only other thing I can think of is I thought the ape guy from umbrella academy looked pretty solid

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I thought the CGI was about par for the course. Serious question, has there ever been a show where you can say it had great CGI? The dragons looked good in later seasons of game of thrones but whenever they had to interact with people and the environment it showed it’s cracks. Only other thing I can think of is I thought the ape guy from umbrella academy looked pretty solid

I'd say "GOT" is about as good as CGI has looked on TV.

And even then (I think it was in season 5) people said the dragons looked shaky in spots.

Regardless, I'd never say the CGI in "GOT" looked bad. The CGI in the dragon ep of this looked awful, though. The dragon, and the weird thing they ran into on the way to it.

Aside from that I thought it was ok. But like I said earlier, it didn't bother me too much because I grew up on 80's special effects.

Fred.

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
I will say that this isn't a show you can watch while browsing on your phone. It's been shown that over 50% of people watch shows like that. You do that while watching The Witcher and you'll look up 15 minutes later like :dwillhuh:

I actually think the show works on two levels. If you try to figure out the political situation and the relationships between the various kingdoms and their rulers over the decades you'll need to look at a wiki to figure it out.

Or, you could also sit back and just watch it like "Hercules" or "Xena".

Ribbs

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Finally finished it, I enjoyed it a lot.
You cats are wilding, I haven't even watched "The Wire" 5 times. :mjlol:

But :manny: enjoy. Maybe if my backlog was a little thinner I'd give this a re-watch.

Fred.

I've come to the conclusion that people who can watch whole seasons more than once don't watch sports.