Official The New Edition Story Thread

Anahita

All Star
Daps
:patrice:Couldn't be Suge. That scene took place in 1997. Suge was already Suge Knight, CEO of Death Row records by then. In fact he would have been in prison at that time.

They messed with the timeline. At one point, Suge was doing bodyguard work for Bobby and other artists. There's a brief mention of it on his Wikipedia page.

Daps
Reppin
Capsule Corp

nikka we all gon sing new edition
Sgikyy4.png
@TAYLONDO SAMSWORTHY

Last edited:

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Watched this last night. shyt was on point it's crazy how Ralph kinda of got fukked over. Got outclassed by everyone in the group and he was frontin on bbd when he had the juice. I watched that tension interview with all of them and watching Ralph act like he was still in charge and the rest was like yea whateva nikka must of been a wake up call for him since they all had bigger success then him. It's crazy how the least strongest members out the group BBD have the biggest song out the whole entire group.
funny thing about BBD is they're the only portion of the group still worth seeing. i saw NE in concert about 4 years ago, and as a collective they were horrible, bobby was just sad and even johnny sounded bad. but when bbd did their set the sound and choreography was on point, dudes looked like they were still 21 years old hitting their dances. i tip my hat to them, they clearly worked hard to overcome their shortcomings in vocal talent

SNG

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
funny thing about BBD is they're the only portion of the group still worth seeing. i saw NE in concert about 4 years ago, and as a collective they were horrible, bobby was just sad and even johnny sounded bad. but when bbd did their set the sound and choreography was on point, dudes looked like they were still 21 years old hitting their dances. i tip my hat to them, they clearly worked hard to overcome their shortcomings in vocal talent

Man I know watched bobby's more recent performances and it's hard watching him be straight :flabbynsick: on stage. This nikka was king of the stage at one point and Johnny really he was that bad? Johnny had the strongest and best voice out the group and pretty much took new edition to a new level in terms of maturing there sound. Never thought he'd be :flabbynsick: too. :salute: BBD tho for keeping the life in that group

Daps
He wouldn't have been bigger to say that is stupid since not too many acts have Bobby Brown success and his worldwide tour but he probably would have had a longer solo career than Bobby as what makes Bobby special also is his biggest downfall.

I mean Bobby was doing stadiums in US and overseas

I'm not saying bigger than bobby brown, but he would've definitely been more successful as a solo artist had he came out back then as opposed to the early 90s.

Ralph had the it factor, but the timing is what ruined it for him.

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
You guys are missing how powerful that scene with Ralph and Louis Silas Jr and JG and Jheryl Busby was and how the industry works JHeryl Busby takes JG to Motown which is under MCA now and he puts all his resources on JG project to make sure JG is a big solo superstar on Motown. Now Bobby is the biggest star on MCA by far and now Ralph is screwed because if he tries to come like Bobby he is screwed plus MCA has the solo superstar in Bobby now and Busby left to Motown and took Johnny and Silas is about to get his own record label and Ralph is about to suffer now that is why timing is always important in the music industry.
I'm saying Ralph doesn't have the voice that'll carry a whole album solo, i always felt he was better as part of a group. Johnny on the other hand is one of the most underrated vocalists imo.
He was just as talented if not more talented than bobby

If he came out solo in the late 80s he would've been bigger.:manny:

The mainstream was hungry for a solo entertainer outside of just mj & prince when bobby went solo so the timing was perfect.
Bobby's charisma was off the charts and that played a huge part in his success, Ralph can sing but he's really boring personality wise.

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
On the subject of Ralph T... timing is everything.

That article pretty much hits every point. It's also why everybody's follow-up didn't pop. Because it was time for the NE reunion but they decided to give it another go. Meanwhile, other things were happening in R&B: Jodeci, TLC, Mary J. Blige, R. Kelly, BoyzIIMen, increased sexual content, increased hip-hop influence, new jack swing is declining... all of this happened between that 1990 wave and 1993. They were kinda still in their 1990 mode while everybody was moving on.

So as it relates to Ralph... a 1987/88 Ralph album would have done much better than a 1990 Ralph album after Bobby, BBD, and Johnny. And some people think Ralph's album bricked, which isn't true. It just didn't do Bobby/BBD numbers. And around that time, hardly anybody was doing Bobby/BBD numbers, and Bobby/BBD never did those numbers again either. Every NE side project spawned hits, including Ralph's... anybody that says they didn't weren't there. But his style was fading at that time- it was the last time Freddie Jackson made hits, last time Anita Baker was big, last time for Jeffrey Osborne, R&B was 'let me lick you up and down til you say stop' within 2/3 years.

Last edited:

TV

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm gonna revisit Ralph's first album.

Let's be honest, Ricky bell would have put together a better solo project. When will I see you smile again and I do need you where pretty much Ricky bell solo songs better than anything Ralph put together.

One of the hardest basslines I've heard in an R&B song. Ricky killed this.

krazykid18

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
On the subject of Ralph T... timing is everything.

That article pretty much hits every point. It's also why everybody's follow-up didn't pop. Because it was time for the NE reunion but they decided to give it another go. Meanwhile, other things were happening in R&B: Jodeci, TLC, Mary J. Blige, R. Kelly, BoyzIIMen, increased sexual content, increased hip-hop influence, new jack swing is declining... all of this happened between that 1990 wave and 1993. They were kinda still in their 1990 mode while everybody was moving on.

So as it relates to Ralph... a 1987/88 Ralph album would have done much better than a 1990 Ralph album after Bobby, BBD, and Johnny. And some people think Ralph's album bricked, which isn't true. It just didn't do Bobby/BBD numbers. And around that time, hardly anybody was doing Bobby/BBD numbers, and Bobby/BBD never did those numbers again either. Every NE side project spawned hits, including Ralph's... anybody that says they didn't weren't there. But his style was fading at that time- it was the last time Freddie Jackson made hits, last time Anita Baker was big, last time for Jeffrey Osborne, R&B was 'let me lick you up and down til you say stop' within 2/3 years.

See what happens when you go off articles it is stupid Boyz to Men sold more records that Jodeci and Mary J Blige combined during those time and they were soft as shyt so lets stop with it and get down to the nit and gritty with the exception of Bobby's followup the rest of there joints sucked. BBD could say all we should have just said we smoked weed that had nothing to do with the quality the LP sucked, Ralph T second that he produced had a few joints here and there but it wasn't strong even though I need somebody and Graveyard is my shyt

and Johnny Gill was basically a redux of what he did the first LP another thing that killed them was they took so fukkin long til release another LP I mean Bob Humpin Around LP sold 4 mil but it should have been out by 91 but Bob was focused on making Whitney his boo, BBD should have had an LP out by late 91/early 92 not fukkin 93 and Ralph didn't release his second Lp til late 93 early 94 i mean cmon music changes too much back then for you to get away with that