Official The New Edition Story Thread

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Me and my people's listened to Bobby and BBD. Sensitivity didn't get any spins around my way until GTA and I would turn the channel on there too.
well from this i can assume yall wasn't the ballad listening types, for people who didn't need to running man to every track, those songs were big.

Last edited:

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
this shyt was good as hell....glad it brings light to them for the younger generation....so not only will they reap rewards monetarily, but also just appreciation wise.........gre job by everyone involved...i will be picking it up as soon as it's available....and i'm picking up the new bbd album too.....

daboywonder2002

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
minnesota
Ralph was great for a group, but despite his talent, he was just not a strong solo act nor do I believe he would have been. There isn't any shame in that, as standards where much higher back then.

Most of these r&b nyggas today aren't true solo artists.
Just like Tony thompson from Hi five or Coko from Swv and even Omarion. you really need that IT factor to go from group to solo artist. Bobby brown, Beyonce and Justin had IT.

SNG

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Watched this last night. shyt was on point it's crazy how Ralph kinda of got fukked over. Got outclassed by everyone in the group and he was frontin on bbd when he had the juice. I watched that tension interview with all of them and watching Ralph act like he was still in charge and the rest was like yea whateva nikka must of been a wake up call for him since they all had bigger success then him. It's crazy how the least strongest members out the group BBD have the biggest song out the whole entire group.

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
as for ralph and whether or not he couldve been bigger:

while he had the talent, and i'm sure they wouldve put the resources around him, 2 things fukked up his solo career: timing and the public's change for rnb....first was timing, he waited too late...if he wouldve dropped his solo shyt right after the 1st NE album, he wouldve been good....

with that said, the change in society fukked him more than anything...he was a straight laced gentleman rnb singer, a throwback to the older style of rnb...by the time he came out as a solo act, society/the public had started down the path of not wanting that anymore...they wanted edgy type rnb acts...that's part of the reason bobby blew up the way he did; why jodeci was accepted faster and is looked back on more favorably than b2m, even though they sang about the same shyt; why the public turned on whitney for no other reason than they thought she was 'too clean imaged' (smh); etc......but it wasnt just in rnb, that change was happening in society period from wrestling to comics to movies etc....the public started going away from clear cut 'good'/'bad' guy images/roles/etc, an starting mixing the shyt up.....

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just like Tony thompson from Hi five or Coko from Swv and even Omarion. you really need that IT factor to go from group to solo artist. Bobby brown, Beyonce and Justin had IT.

Agreed

Don't get me wrong, I think Ralph had an IT factor. So did tony and coko. You had to be special to be the leader singer. That shouldn't be overlooked. However, Bobby was on some other shyt. We are talking superstar status. Not many singers achieve that.

I think Ralph should have pursued other group projects outside of ne like johnny did with lsg. Again Ralph is phenomenal in a group.

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm gonna revisit Ralph's first album.

Let's be honest, Ricky bell would have put together a better solo project. When will I see you smile again and I do need you where pretty much Ricky bell solo songs better than anything Ralph put together.