Official The Expanse Thread

yyy

All Star
Daps
6 episodes in, and I like it. Always love a good sci-fi show. Not really sure what's going on though. A lot of moving parts. Has anyone in here seen Battlestar Galactica? How would you compare the shows?

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
6 episodes in, and I like it. Always love a good sci-fi show. Not really sure what's going on though. A lot of moving parts. Has anyone in here seen Battlestar Galactica? How would you compare the shows?

I like both shows but The Expanse is superior. The spiritual fantasy crap on BSG made it all ass by the end (writers winging it was the real reason tho). BSG might have a better main cast but The Expanse's crew is already catching up on that part quick.

Season 1 of Expanse is a set up season but pay attention and it will all click by the end.

Brandeezy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
East ATL
I'm on Episode 4 and i'm still lost brehs :dwillhuh:. Anyone got a simple as summary for me explaining who's who and what's what?

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
I'm on Episode 4 and i'm still lost brehs :dwillhuh:. Anyone got a simple as summary for me explaining who's who and what's what?

It's a cold war going on between Earth, Mars, and the Belt.

I don't want to spoil you who and what you got questions about?

Brandeezy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
East ATL
It's a cold war going on between Earth, Mars, and the Belt.

I don't want to spoil you who and what you got questions about?

What is Thomas Jane's character doing along with the Space crew (The crew with the half black/spanish chick)

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
What is Thomas Jane's character doing along with the Space crew (The crew with the half black/spanish chick)

Thomas Jane's character Miller is a loser cop tasked to find the broad that sent the SOS that the Canturbury ice hauling ship decided to investigate. Her rich daddy looking for her but she may be tied to a conspiracy that got Miller curious.

The crew's leader Holden just blamed Mars for the Belt not getting their water. Belters if you didn't know by now are treated like shyt by Earth and Mars. They going thirsty right now and are fed up, the OPA represents the Belt and some of them are extremists trying to get the one up on Earth and Mars. The stealth ships that blew up the ice hauler is an unknown group that got everybody nervous. Mars looking like the culprit now because Earth don't have that kind of tech.

Brandeezy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
East ATL
Thomas Jane's character Miller is a loser cop tasked to find the broad that sent the SOS that the Canturbury ice hauling ship decided to investigate. Her rich daddy looking for her but she may be tied to a conspiracy that got Miller curious.

The crew's leader Holden just blamed Mars for the Belt not getting their water. Belters if you didn't know by now are treated like shyt by Earth and Mars. They going thirsty right now and are fed up, the OPA represents the Belt and some of them are extremists trying to get the one up on Earth and Mars. The stealth ships that blew up the ice hauler is an unknown group that got everybody nervous. Mars looking like the culprit now because Earth don't have that kind of tech.

So...

Mars & Earth brehs are basically the Upper Class with the best tech in the galaxy while The Belt are like the slums? Also where are the Canterbury crew from, the Belt? I'm assuming Space is basically territory free, you just can't visit one of the 3 colonies without permission?

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
So...

Mars & Earth brehs are basically the Upper Class with the best tech in the galaxy while The Belt are like the slums? Also where are the Canterbury crew from, the Belt? I'm assuming Space is basically territory free, you just can't visit one of the 3 colonies without permission?

Yeah. Martians live in domes. They have a plan to terraform Mars but they put that on hold to make their military brolick instead so they got the better tech like power armors and better ships.

Belters are folks who went far out to mine resources for Earth and Mars they ended up getting exploited. They're a people without a nation. OPA is trying to make them legit but some factions act like ISIS giving them a real bad name.

Canturbury crew are people from all over the system they worked for a water company that delivered to the belt. Holden the leader is from Earth. Alex, the Indian breh with the Texas accent is Martian. Naomi is a Belter, big homie Amos is from Baltimore.

As for space being free, nah. You can run around the belt all you want I think but Earth and Mars patrols will check you if you cross their space. Patrols from Mars and Earth can harass Belters. Ceres station police (Star Helix Security) is an Earth company. So Miller a belter working for them is seen as a c00n.

Last edited:

Ezra

Daps
Is the series done or still going on? How closely does it follow the books?
It's still going. It follows the books very closely. They change a few things here and there. Combine a few characters into one for streamline purposes.

The book authors also write for the show, so it's very faithful to the books.

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
So...

Yeah. Martians live in domes. They have a plan to terraform Mars but they put that on hold to make their military brolick instead so they got the better tech like power armors and better ships.

Belters are folks who went far out to mine resources for Earth and Mars they ended up getting exploited. They're a people without a nation. OPA is trying to make them legit but some factions act like ISIS giving them a real bad name.

Canturbury crew are people from all over the system they worked for a water company that delivered to the belt. Holden the leader is from Earth. Alex, the Indian breh with the Texas accent is Martian. Naomi is a Belter, big homie Amos is from Boston.

As for space being free, nah. You can run around the belt all you want I think but Earth and Mars patrols will check you if you cross their space. Patrols from Mars and Earth can harass Belters. Ceres station police (Star Helix Security) is an Earth company. So Miller a belter working for them is seen as a c00n.

Baltimore, actually.

One thing that I would add is that Belters have been in space so long that their bodies are starting to adapt to low gravity. Especially the lower classes of belters that can't afford to live in the parts of the space stations that have higher "spin" gravity. The really poor Belters look more "elongated" and can't survive for long under full Earth gravity. Even Martians have to take medicine to walk around on Earth for long periods of time because they're not used to living at 1G gravity.

I should also point out that up to the point in the story you are at you haven't seen anything yet that defies the laws of physics as we know it today. There's no "artificial gravity", all of the "gravity" in space is created either by rotating space stations, or accelerating space ships in one direction. If the ship engines cut off the acceleration goes away and the "gravity" stops (it took me more than have the season to understand why things started floating around inside of ships when they get shot in battle).