Official 'The Eternals' Thread

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
i thought the 2 main Eternals were boring as fukk. I think it was by design b/c he was supposed to be conflicted and she was supposed to be falling in love with humanity or whatever they wanted to come across, but i don't see how anyone can argue they aren't the most boring, meh, "main characters" so far in the MCU. Carol Danvers is Tony Stark compared to Sersi.
I thought Richard Madden was good not great as Ikaris and while Gemma Chan is a beautiful lady, yeah I wouldn't describes her as charismatic. But it was more of an ensemble cast so it's not like they had to carry the entire movie.

Conz

Superstar
Daps
I thought Richard Madden was good not great as Ikaris and while Gemma Chan is a beautiful lady, yeah I wouldn't describes her as charismatic. But it was more of an ensemble cast so it's not like they had to carry the entire movie.
rigjt, but ultimately they were the central focus, so they're the defacto main characters.

I actually thought Ikaris was kinda shytty. kept thinking how much better a ton of actors would have been selling that character and bringing even the slightest bit of joy to it. dude had like 3 moments of extremely mild levity. "i don't wear a cape" breaking hte table, family dinner. It was by design though, so maybe that character was just gonna be like that no matter who played him. you're supposed to look back and feel the weight of what he did... but STILL think he coulda been less boring along the way.

and not gonna lie, if i wasn't costantly admiring Gemma Chan, i'd probably put her as one of the worst 3 mcu characters. she is beautiful for sure.

Rhapscallion Démone

♊Dogset Emperor and Sociopathic Socialite ♊
Supporter
Daps
BIOGRAPHY
An Ancient Existence
Sole survivor of the universe existing before the Big Bang, Galactus is perhaps the most feared being in the cosmos. Untold billions of years ago, he was born the humanoid Galan on the planet Taa, a wondrous paradise of scientific and social achievement; however, his universe was in its final stages, with all matter plunging towards a central point via the "Big Crunch", collapsing into a new "Cosmic Egg", a sphere of disorganized, compact primordial matter. Galan, a space explorer, discovered a radiation-plague threatening all of Taa. Though he was initially scoffed at, the truth became clear as the people of surrounding planets perished. Despite the efforts of Taa's greatest scientists, no cure could be found, and the population began to die off. Galan convinced the handful of remaining survivors to die gloriously by flying a starship into the blazing cosmic cauldron. The others were killed by the intense radiation, but Galan was filled with new energy and saved by the Phoenix Force of the dying universe. The sentient energy spoke to Galan as it brought him into the Egg

Now that we understand how Celestials are hatched from cosmic eggs incubated by populated planets, they can introduce Galactus. He's the sole survivor of his universe "hatching" and causing the big bang that created our universe. Maybe he could be an archenemy for the Celestials. Particularly Arishem. The Phoenix Force could be introduced also

Rhapscallion Démone

♊Dogset Emperor and Sociopathic Socialite ♊
Supporter
Daps
i thought the 2 main Eternals were boring as fukk. I think it was by design b/c he was supposed to be conflicted and she was supposed to be falling in love with humanity or whatever they wanted to come across, but i don't see how anyone can argue they aren't the most boring, meh, "main characters" so far in the MCU. Carol Danvers is Tony Stark compared to Sersi.
Yeah they watered down Sersi. Her personality was supposed to be more like Emma Frost than how they portrayed her in the movie

Silver Surfer

Veteran
Daps
rigjt, but ultimately they were the central focus, so they're the defacto main characters.

I actually thought Ikaris was kinda shytty. kept thinking how much better a ton of actors would have been selling that character and bringing even the slightest bit of joy to it. dude had like 3 moments of extremely mild levity. "i don't wear a cape" breaking hte table, family dinner. It was by design though, so maybe that character was just gonna be like that no matter who played him. you're supposed to look back and feel the weight of what he did... but STILL think he coulda been less boring along the way.

and not gonna lie, if i wasn't costantly admiring Gemma Chan, i'd probably put her as one of the worst 3 mcu characters. she is beautiful for sure.

Agree with this....he dropped the ball on the character...but given the direction of the movie....did it matter?

chico25

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Regarding the after credits scene….

was that the watchers voice when he tried to pick up the sword?
That was Blade.

So….

who the fukk is jon snow going forward?
The BlackKnight

. . . was Thanos' plan like a fukk you to Celestials and the endless cycle of creation? He and his brother are Eternals is what I gathered from the end credit scene. Is that right? And they are brothers? Does that mean they just were on the same Eternals team on a specific planet? Titan I'm guessing. Why would Celestials spare his life for the snap? He fukked up their whole shyt.
That is an interesting idea that occurred to me after the movie. In the comics Thanos is a deviant with Eternals for parents. His brother is still an Eternal according to the post credit scene. It's possible that Thanos found out about the emergence on his planet and started pushing population control to prevent it. Maybe people couldn't handle the truth and destroyed the planet trying to get the population down. After that he kept the same mission but didn't explain the real reason.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
That was Blade.

The BlackKnight

That is an interesting idea that occurred to me after the movie. In the comics Thanos is a deviant with Eternals for parents. His brother is still an Eternal according to the post credit scene. It's possible that Thanos found out about the emergence on his planet and started pushing population control to prevent it. Maybe people couldn't handle the truth and destroyed the planet trying to get the population down. After that he kept the same mission but didn't explain the real reason.
This is where they lose me. Are Eternals born? Didn't they show a big ass Celestial contraption that created Eternals? They can procreate? Why?

Conz

Superstar
Daps
Agree with this....he dropped the ball on the character...but given the direction of the movie....did it matter?
i guess not, but also don't you think it would have hit a little harder if you realized that you really liked the guy prior to... ya know? he was just kinda there the whole time. it also kinda bugged me that 3 of the Eternals's major characteristics were "they love Ikaris." I'm including Kingo, the "funny" one in there. The spectrum of "boring to funny/likable" wasn't long enough to support 10 characters. does that make sense?

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV

if sounds like Gemma Chan was better in captain marvel.

looks better in blue too

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Wasn’t feeling it fully. It’s fine. But it’s so much tell instead of show. There just wasn’t enough time for the characters to truly develop and show me who they are. I’m told how one character lost their faith and hope in humanity, then shown what was the last straw for that character and then the next scene, they’ve suddenly got their faith back. So we skip over all of that and just fast forward to the end.

I think the movie was too ambitious for a normal runtime, which isn’t the fault of the movie just the reality. It’s an average flick with above average ideas that it never quite connects the dots with.

Conz

Superstar
Daps
the only thing i cared about based off the premise of the characters was watching them influence major historical events. that's always the fun of immortal characters... and they barely did shyt. oh they were in Mesopatamia and Babylon and saw Cortez killing Mayans... oh and she gave a kid a knife, and they mentioned that Sprite was Peter Pan, etc. that was far and away the coolest thing that could be done with these characters. it doesn't exactly advance plot too much, but that's what i wanted to see more of. if this was a 10 episode Disney+ show where the first 5 were "Eternals through history" without having to bounce to present day to kill bad cgi demon wolves and galaxy sized robots, i would have liked Eternals way more, no doubt about it.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
the only thing i cared about based off the premise of the characters was watching them influence major historical events. that's always the fun of immortal characters... and they barely did shyt. oh they were in Mesopatamia and Babylon and saw Cortez killing Mayans... oh and she gave a kid a knife, and they mentioned that Sprite was Peter Pan, etc. that was far and away the coolest thing that could be done with these characters. it doesn't exactly advance plot too much, but that's what i wanted to see more of. if this was a 10 episode Disney+ show where the first 5 were "Eternals through history" without having to bounce to present day to kill bad cgi demon wolves and galaxy sized robots, i would have liked Eternals way more, no doubt about it.
Yeah I agree with the last part. Think I would’ve felt it more if it had more time as a tv show. Also would’ve given stuff more weight when they happened and lent itself to less CG conflicts and more human vs human stuff. The movie felt like it was fighting against being a comic book movie but ultimately is a comic book movie

Conz

Superstar
Daps
and while i'm going, ya know what? all the talk of how beautiful this movie is? it would have been just as beautiful on that Mandalorian stage. half the outdoor locations they shot at were just sandy tan with some water in the distance. i actually think the visuals of this movie are being way overblown. it's all good and well that they decided to shoot on location, but i refuse to believe many people give much of a shyt about that anymore. they've gotten cgi locales down to a T at this point. it's not like backgrounds look at bad as Pip the Troll does.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
Yeah, not my idea but a youtube commentator said they need to do a show about normal people and their reaction to all the MCU fukkery. I think that's a dope idea, just make a drama about the trauma of all this supernatural stuff is causing to regular People's psyches.

The netflix Defenders series was actually pretty decent at this.

I hated Trish as a character, but it was good to see a normal human go like "wait a minute...i need some of this super shyt too....aliens and shyt poppin up like hotcakes".

I personally think you could make a damn good dramedy out of this idea.

chico25

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is where they lose me. Are Eternals born? Didn't they show a big ass Celestial contraption that created Eternals? They can procreate? Why?
In the comics they can, we'll see if the movies go that route.

For those that want this to connect more to the MCU, even though it took place on earth it connects to the guardians of the galaxy more than Avengers. The first movie introduced us to Celestials and revealed that they can be killed, since Knowhere is inside the head of a dead Celestial. The second movie introduced us to a living Celestial that never fully emerged but still had enormous power. It also showed that Ajak was right, whether she knew it or not. Humans are special in that they are capable of inheriting the Celestial gene, so there could be a different way for new Celestials to be born without the emergence.