Official The Batman Thread

PlayerNinety_Nine

Produced, Arranged, Composed and Performed by....
Daps
Flick was cool to me. Batman as a dude with regular build who is powered by sheer force of will and his ability to generate fear, is way scarier than someone who's diesel. Same reason why Jon Bernthal's 'Punisher' was so :picard:

I'll always be a fan of that fine line when he's starting out, when criminals go from "Batman?!:childplease: Get the fukk outta here :mjlol:" to "BATMAN! :merchant:GET THE fukk OUTTA HERE! :damn:"

Riddler was what I hoped the for from a live action version of the character. Colin Farrell was completely unrecognizeable. The 'Christine' :demonic:vibe of The Batmobile was great. Appreciated the easter eggs they tossed in.

Left themselves a bunch of directions to go for the sequels too.

DrexlersFade

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Read about six different reviews and everyone seems to loves it.

Off work Monday, ticket is bought. Second row to the back on the right. I'm ready.

OegumJZ.gif

Random question: Where's your ideal movie theatre seating?

I sat in Row J first seat from the isle shyt tough hruh you going to enjoy it.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Read about six different reviews and everyone seems to loves it.

Off work Monday, ticket is bought. Second row to the back on the right. I'm ready.

OegumJZ.gif

Random question: Where's your ideal movie theatre seating?
I find myself choosing Row E majority of the times.

Dolby screenings have all of the seats positioned well to the screen, but E level puts me in the dead middle of the sound sphere and just a little bit closer to the screen to where I’m feeling immersed with whichever film I’m watching. :wow:

I know each theater is different though. :manny:

Last edited:

TMNT4000

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Miami Gardens/North Miami
There's so much easter eggs in this movie I have to give it a second look :whew:

Question for y'all
What the Venom represents? Is that nod towards Bane? :ohhh:

And I see y'all talk about the court of owls set up. What easter egg or clue in the movie that shown or mentioned court of owls? :ohhh:

DrexlersFade

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Found a excellent review of the movie this guy breaks it down perfectly this film was really amazing Matt Reeves is a master at this shyt.

5vPndSdDicde7EwTyAtqjk.jpg

If I were to describe “The Batman” in one word, it would be “heavy”. Gotham City is portrayed as large, imposing, and oppressive. It’s almost always raining. It’s almost always night time. Any glimpses we see of the sun is almost always at dusk. When Batman steps out of shadows, the first thing we hear is his thunderous lurching footsteps. When the Batmobile is introduced, we hear the engine roar so beastly, we feel it in our chests. He speaks in a half-whispered growl that feels anything but human. Everything about this film, from its shots, to edits, to even sound design, feels designed to be overwhelming.

This gives “The Batman” a look and feel that’s completely unique from not just other Batman movies, but other superhero films in general. There’s this pulse to the way the film is shot and edited that makes it feel thrillingly alive. In short, “The Batman” is everything I’ve always wanted from a Batman movie. It takes the character back to its noir roots. Its vision is stark, clear, and incredibly focused.

maxresdefault.jpg

Matt Reeves gets “Batman”. It’s why the film asks some hard questions about him as a character, and what it means to be a hero. We have this really unique arc with him that places Batman (Robert Pattinson) in direct conflict with his legacy and the effect he has on the city. We visit Batman at a point that's early in his career. And, he is tired. Early on, we hear him question if his presence as Batman is actually doing any good. And, the film actually goes the extra mile to answer that question.

Because, Gotham City is realized so much more vividly than any other Batman movie. It’s this mix of old victorian architecture with the modern artifice of New York City. It seems to exist in a perpetual state of night under a neverending downpour. It really gives the film a texture and mood that makes a perfect canvas for the labyrinthine web of corruption that’s, quite often, out in plain sight. We’re plunged deep into a fragile ecosystem of crime, and Batman’s journey makes him examine his actual influence in that ecosystem.

Mainly because rarely see him as Bruce Wayne. Early on, someone pontificates to Wayne how he could be doing more for his city. He seems to have no interest in living that part of his life. He is almost ALWAYS in that Bat suit. This is interesting, because in past films, a lot of the plots seem to revolve around Batman no longer wanting to be Batman, or viewing it as a curse. Here, it seems like Wayne doesn't want to be saddled with the burden of being a Wayne. There's a lot of tricky psychological waters this film is trying to wade through.

Robert-Pattinson-in-The-Batman-Movie-Trailer.jpg

Robert Pattinson gives an incredible performance that navigates these waters tremendously. There’s just a… “feel” to Batman’s presence that Pattinson absolutely nails. There’s simultaneously anger and a vulnerability to him that I found very compelling. This might be the most soulful portrayal of Batman in any movie. Most importantly, it allows him to actually be the world’s greatest detective. Even if he’s not at the “one-step-ahead” place we’re used to seeing him in, he still seems almost obsessively dialed into the case.

This case connects with Riddler (Paul Dano) in a way that is not only ingenious, but also creates a dynamic between hero & villain never before seen in any superhero movie previously. It really commits to the idea that heroes & villains are two sides of the same coin. Notice the opening shot of the film, it being from the perspective of Riddler. We get a mirror of that visual idea not-too-long after, this time it being through Batman’s eyes.

The film is constantly making connections between these two character’s quests by connecting them via matching visual motifs throughout. These connections become less subtle as the movie goes on. Dano’s portrayal here is downright terrifying. It reminded me a lot of Jigsaw in Saw and John Doe in Se7en. There’s a moment here late in the film that I won’t spoil, but suffice it to say, he flat-out commands the screen during that scene.

maxresdefault.jpg

Selina Kyle (Zoe Kravitz) gets a pretty important role here, as sort of a femme fatale. We get a lot of layers from her, and how her and Batman share a similarly traumatic past. She gets this amazing arc that crescendos with one of the best action scenes in the entire movie. It’s emotionally thrilling, because you can feel her rage and her anger throughout. Zoe Kravitz’ portrayal is, as of right now, my favorite live action portrayal of Catwoman. Her and Pattinson have unreal levels of chemistry. Which is even more impressive, because Pattinson is NEVER out of costume in any of the scenes they share.

There’s so many great performances here. Jeffrey Wright is excellent as Gordon. Andy Serkis brings in a gravitas not usually associated with Alfred. John Turturro as Carmine Falcone is fukking AWESOME. He gets some of the best most impactful moments in the entire film. But, a clear standout as Colin Ferrel as the Penguin. He is UNRECOGNIZABLE in the role. Not just the make-up, but the voice, it’s seriously impressive the work he did. He also gets some of the best lines in the entire movie.

It’s so hard to put into words how this film feels. The tactile set design, the absolutely gorgeous cinematography, the deliberate smooth pacing. This is a 3 hour film that doesn’t feel like three hours at all. It flies by so fast, I feel like I could’ve turned back around, bought another ticket, and watched it again immediately after the credits rolled. There’s this rhythm to the film’s editing that feels hypnotic at points. Everything about this film technically speaking just gives it this living breathing pulse that is just instantly immersive.

YoegnnbrMZGFWnejV2yqmG-1200-80.jpg

The action scenes are quick, brutal, almost utilitarian. They're almost always shot and edited from a completely subjective point of view. These scenes show up in short bursts, because that’s exactly how Batman would operate. But, then we get the the introduction of the new Batmobile, and it’s a BEAST. We hear it first. This beastly engine revving up, and it’s so enveloping, you feel it in your chest. Then, the chase itself. Again, shot from a completely subjective point of view. Notice that, with a few exceptions, we’re only show the chase through the perspective of angles in which it would be seen from each vehicle. It’s fukkin amazing.

Bruh. The musical score from Michael Giacchino….. There’s been something missing from modern superhero films… Themes. Motifs. A lot of times, it’s just guys putting synthy garbage over strings. THIS here is a SCORE. With multiple musical ideas that get explored, re-contextualized, remixed, etc. It’s far & away Giacchino’s best & most impressive work.

It’s hard to describe how much I loved this film. I’ve been a lifelong Batman fan, and this feels like the Batman movie I’ve been waiting for my whole life. There’s minor quibbles and complaints, but all of that washes away when I think about how completely this film gets it right. “The Batman” might, down the road, be the best Batman story ever put to film.

But, for right now, it’s absolutely something that I’d recommend on the biggest screen you can find. “The Batman” is a reminder of what big budget blockbusters can do.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
“What, you live in a cave or something?”

michael-jordan-yeah.gif

They have the perfect setup for a Court of Owls film. Do not mess this up with a Joker sequel
Not gonna lie, I’m Joker’d out right now. I know he’s integral to Bats as the arch-nemesis, but I’m kinda scared for Keoghan here. I hope they bring him in for the third film instead. With an expansive rogue gallery like Batman’s though, there are so many other villains primed to finally get their big screen shine in Reeves’ world.

Speaking of one, I loved the little Hush drop.

Last edited:

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This movie was brilliant. I have one small criticism that's actually a nitpick:
and that's the bullshyt Joker cameo scene. It wasn't necessary AT ALL.

But I have to pushback on people who complaining about how Bruce Wayne was portrayed. Understand this and to those who haven't seen it, understand this when coming into this movie: THAT WAS NOT BRUCE WAYNE. You have to be in the mindset from the common knowledge you know about Batman lore that the REAL BRUCE WAYNE DIED the night his PARENTS WERE MURDERED. So, what y'all complaining is why this version Bruce Wayne was not a playboy philanthropist which was always a FRONT. They're disregarding that this is year TWO Batman and Bruce Wayne in actuality is MENTALLY ILL (which they NEVER FULLY explored the previous versions of Batman films, the closest exception is BvS). So why a YEAR 2 BATMAN who's is completely mentally sick, with an apathetic care about the people of Gotham and all he wants is to seek vengeance and fukk up criminals.as a way of self-therapy. And this was ADDRESSED in the film about him not showing as front to the people and him STAYING in Batman mode even when he is Bruce Wayne. The whole movie is an ARCH for Batman from being a pure vigilante to becoming an actual HERO. I guarantee if they make a sequel, they'll have the Bruce Wayne you come to expect due to that growth, where he's more visual to the public and being that philanthropist and all.

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
This movie was brilliant. I have one small criticism that's actually a nitpick:
and that's the bullshyt Joker cameo scene. It wasn't necessary AT ALL.

But I have to pushback on people who complaining about how Bruce Wayne was portrayed. Understand this and to those who haven't seen it, understand this when coming into this movie: THAT WAS NOT BRUCE WAYNE. You have to be in the mindset from the common knowledge you know about Batman lore that the REAL BRUCE WAYNE DIED the night his PARENTS WERE MURDERED. So, what y'all complaining is why this version Bruce Wayne was not a playboy philanthropist which was always a FRONT. They're disregarding that this is year TWO Batman and Bruce Wayne in actuality is MENTALLY ILL (which they NEVER FULLY explored the previous versions of Batman films, the closest exception is BvS). So why a YEAR 2 BATMAN who's is completely mentally sick, with an apathetic care about the people of Gotham and all he wants is to seek vengeance and fukk up criminals.as a way of self-therapy. And this was ADDRESSED in the film about him not showing as front to the people and him STAYING in Batman mode even when he is Bruce Wayne. The whole movie is an ARCH for Batman from being a pure vigilante to becoming an actual HERO. I guarantee if they make a sequel, they'll have the Bruce Wayne you come to expect due to that growth, where he's more visual to the public and being that philanthropist and all.

even though i liked your spoiler, i agree, wasn't really needed