Part 13
experience.

1. Karl Henriksson, C, Frolunda-J20 SuperElit
Feb. 5, 2001 | 5-foot-9 | 174 pounds

Skating: 55
Puck Skills: 55
Physical Game: 30
Hockey Sense: 60

Henriksson had a great season in the J20 league, as one of the best playmakers at that level. At the junior and international levels, he was often playing with super prospect Lucas Raymond, who could overshadow him, but Henriksson did show talent in his own right, including being a top player at the U18s. Henriksson makes a ton of plays off the flank and finds his teammates well. He’s small at just under 5-foot-9, but he’s solid defensively and shows no fear getting to the net area. The question with Henriksson is, at his size, if he has enough speed in his game. He’s a fine/good skater and shows some separation ability, but he doesn’t have game-breaking speed or skill.

1. Michael Gildon, LW, USNTDP-USHL
June 21, 2001 | 6-foot-2 | 194 pounds

Skating: 45
Physical Game: 55
Hockey Sense: 55

Gildon had a fine season, particularly when he was playing at the USHL level as he steadily emerged as a quality scoring winger for the NTDP, often lining up on the left side of Jack Hughes and Cole Caufield. There’s nothing about Gildon’s game that wows you, but he has a few pro attributes that make him worth knowing. He’s a 6-foot-2 winger with some heaviness in his game. He’s got above-average skill and vision, and made enough skilled plays this season for me to think he’s got an NHL chance. Gildon plays hard at both ends of the rink, and can be a guy who wins a battle and then makes a play. His main issue is his heavy feet. It’s not the worst stride I’ve ever seen but his game lacks pace because of it.

Chance to Play in the NHL/Late-Round Pick
  1. Ilya Altybarmakyan, LW, SKA-Varyagi-MHL
Sept. 30, 2000 | 5-foot-11 | 179 pounds

Puck Skills: 65
Physical Game: 45
Shot Grade: 60

Altybarmakyan, the younger brother of Chicago prospect Andrei Altybarmakyan, does not have an attractive statistical profile. He produced well but not incredibly well in the MHL (21 goals-40 points in 52 games) as a late 2000 birthdate, leading SKA’s backup junior team in scoring. That’s not where you’re expecting to find a future NHL player, but I watched nearly every game he played this season and I’m sold that his skill level is among the best in this draft class. It’s not flashy skill off the half-wall; Altybarmakyan has pace and hard skill that will translate to the North American pro game. He dangles defenders at full speed and attacks the middle of the ice. His speed is just OK and his stride could use some technical cleanup as his feet flail out, but with his mindset, he pushes defenders back. He is more of a goal-scorer than a playmaker. His shot isn’t that hard, but with his hands, he can pick corners consistently from a distance. He will make plays too, but it isn’t his forte. Altybarmakyan competes hard and has an edge to his game but can lose his cool and isn’t the best defensively. There’s a lot to work to do here, but a pick on Altybarmakyan is a bet on big-time skill finding a way to work out.

1. Yaroslav Likhachyov, RW, Gatineau-QMJHL
Sept. 2, 2001 | 5-foot-11 | 168 pounds

Skating: 50

I was high on Likhachyov coming into the season after a good underage season and Hlinka Gretzky. He struggled significantly in his time in the QMJHL but ended the season strong at the U18s. You are drafting Likhachyov because he’s one of the most purely skilled players available in this year’s draft. He can break open a shift by dangling past defenders and can make high-end passes. However, he has several significant warts. He’s a mediocre skater whose game can lack pace. He looked slow whenever I watched him in the Q, but in international games, his game had more speed. He’s small, slight and plays on the perimeter. His defensive game needs a lot of work. Thus, picking him is a swing on the skill and developing the rest.

1. Harrison Blaisdell, C, Chilliwack-BCHL
March 18, 2001 | 5-foot-11 | 181 pounds

Puck Skills: 60

Blaisdell was one of the best players in the BCHL this past season. I wouldn’t describe him as a flashy offensive player, but he has talent and scored a lot of goals. Most scouts start off describing Blaisdell by his work ethic. He competes very hard for pucks and can be trusted to play hard defensive minutes. With the puck, he’s quite skilled and can make occasional high-end plays. I wouldn’t call him a natural playmaker, but he sees the ice well and tries to make things happen. His hands are quick and that translates to his shot, which he gets off well and can knock pucks in off posts. With Blaisdell the question is whether, at his size, he’s quick enough for the NHL. He’s not a poor skater, but he lacks a true separation gear.

1. Michael Vukojevic, D, Kitchener-OHL
June 8, 2001 | 6-foot-3 | 205 pounds

Puck Skills: 50
Physical Game: 60

Vukojevic is a tall defenseman with some pro attributes who was a quality player in the OHL for the past two seasons. He started off the season slow but picked up as it went along. What stands out about Vukojevic’s game is his hockey sense. He moves the puck very well, showing good instincts inside the offensive zone. His offensive tools won’t dazzle, but he can skate pucks through the neutral zone and has enough skill to make some plays. Defensively he’s very solid. Vukojevic uses his reads, feet and brain to disrupt a lot of plays, and could play tough minutes at the pro level. There may not be a ton of offense at the higher levels from him, but with his size and skating, there is some potential.

1. Kaedan Korczak, D, Kelowna-WHL
Jan. 29, 2001 | 6-foot-3 | 192 pounds

Physical Game: 65
Hockey Sense: 50

Korczak played a ton of minutes for Kelowna this past season. He was also solid for Canada at both the Hlinka Gretzky and the IIHF U18s. He has all the physical tools that make him look like an NHLer. He’s a 6-foot-2 defenseman who skates quite well, if not very well. He can lead a rush effectively. With how hard he plays and his feet, he can be a punishing defender to play against and plays the tough minutes. His puck game is just OK. He has some skill and looked competent on the power play in the WHL on the second unit of a sub-par offensive team, but I haven’t loved his puck management. He throws a lot of pucks away and doesn’t make many plays. There are some scouts who believe in him and think there’s just enough offense for him to make it, but I am skeptical.

Kelowna Rockets GM Bruce Hamilton on Korczak: “He plays a lot of minutes. He’s an excellent skater and very smart defensively. He needs to add more to his offensive game in terms of his passes and shot.”

1. Adam Beckman, LW, Spokane-WHL
May 10, 2001 | 6-foot-1 | 168 pounds

After not playing in the WHL last season, Beckman was an important part of a top WHL team. Beckman is a player I’ve had a lot of debates about with scouts. He’s a great goal-scorer who has been productive, but there is a lack of a wow factor with him. He’s a skilled forward. I’ve talked to scouts who think the skill is high-end, but I haven’t seen that. He has good hockey sense and timing as a goal scorer. His shot is impressive and is a selling point for his NHL chances. He’s a finisher, whether it be a long distance shot or his touch around the net. My main concern is his skating isn’t the best, but he’s physically underdeveloped and that could come with strength.

1. Kirill Slepets, RW, Yaroslavl-MHL
April 6, 1999 | 5-foot-10 | 146 pounds

Skating: 60
Physical Game: 35

Slepets turned heads with his performance at the Canada-Russia series versus CHL teams and at the world juniors. It earned him time with Russia’s national team and put him on the NHL radar even as a third-year-eligible prospect. Pace defines his game. Slepets skates and plays fast. He’s often a player asked to carry the puck up the ice. He also competes well, pressuring defenders at his blueline, and can be an excellent penalty killer. Slepets has offensive skill. He flashes top-end ability but not consistently. He can make opponents miss, though, and make plays to his teammates. His best offensive weapon, aside from his feet, is his shot. He can pick corners from a distance and has good instincts around the net. He will need time to play well versus men before he looks NHL ready, but as a highly touted 17-year-old who then flatlined, he will likely be drafted this summer.

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
Part 14
  1. Samuel Bolduc, D, Blainville-Boisbriand-QMJHL
Dec. 9, 2000 | 6-foot-4 | 212 pounds

Physical Game: 65
Hockey Sense: 45

Bolduc was the top defenseman for a rebuilding Blainville team this season, logging big minutes in all situations. His athletic tools are very impressive, some may even argue top 30-40 pick quality. He’s a 6-foot-4 defenseman who skates well, not just well for a guy his size. He’s able to lead a rush and escape pressure effectively. Bolduc may never be known as a first power play unit type, but he’s got sneaky good hands and he can make skilled plays through opponents. He also has a cannon of a shot. He’s not going to pick corners, but he can create havoc off his shot. Bolduc uses his size well and closes on his checks using his speed and frame. His main issue is his decision making. Bolduc often forces plays that aren’t there and too many times makes a pass into feet or onto an opponent’s stick. With that said, he will have instances where he makes a good play that makes you believe he’s got some playmaking in him.

1. Ethan Phillips, C, Sioux Falls-USHL
May 7, 2001 | 5-foot-9 | 146 pounds

Physical Game: 25

Phillips started the year playing prep hockey in New England, then made a successful midseason transition to the USHL, where he played significant minutes for Sioux Falls. Phillips buzzes around the ice. He’s a very good skater who plays quick and can put defenders on their heels. I like his skill level a lot. He doesn’t try to dangle everyone, but he can make slight moves in tight and get around defensemen. Phillips sees the ice well and tries to make creative plays, but I find he forces a lot of plays. He’s a small forward, and although he plays quick and gets to the net, he’s very slight and can be pushed around. I question if he’s dynamic enough for a smaller forward to be a legit NHLer.

1. Keean Washkurak, C, Mississauga-OHL
Aug. 16, 2001 | 5-foot-10 | 185 pounds

Physical Game: 40

Washkaruk played all-situations minutes for the Steelheads, and I was impressed by how he handled himself in limited time at the U18s. He’s not a dynamic player, particularly for 5-foot-10, but Washkaruk has a high compete level and a good talent base. He skates well with the ability to push the pace. His stride technique isn’t perfect, but he looks faster because of how hard he works. He’s not all speed and energy though, as Washkaruk has impressive hands and often dangled defenders at speed. I don’t know if he has enough skill to make it to the NHL at his size, but he’s got a chance.

1. James Malm, LW, Calgary-WHL
June 25, 1999 | 5-foot-9 | 174 pounds

Physical Game: 20
Hockey Sense: 65

Malm is a highly talented forward who was passed over multiple times. He moved midseason after asking for a trade from Vancouver and really took off in Calgary. The circumstances around the move bugged NHL scouts, though. His skill level is very high. I daresay he was one of the most purely skilled playmakers in major junior. He makes highly creative plays routinely and he has the vision to run a power play from the flank at the pro level. There were so many times this season where he executed a “wow” caliber play to generate a chance or goal. Malm is by no means a perfect player, though. He’s 5-foot-9, not that great physically or defensively, and his skating is so-so. He’s got decent speed but his stride isn’t the most technically sound. His production was below what someone of his skill level should have registered, too.

1. Mikhail Abramov, C, Victoriaville-QMJHL
March 26, 2001 | 5-foot-11 | 161 pounds

Abramov was a huge part of Victoriaville’s offense this season and transitioned to North America well. He’s a great playmaker with high-end vision. Abramov is always looking to make a play. He makes a lot of passes through seams and does so at a quick pace. If anything, he tries a little too much to make the nice play as he passes up shots and stays on the perimeter too much. Abramov has a good shot and getting to shooting opportunities would increase his value. He’s not a stationary player, as he skates quite well and can get by defenders with speed. Some scouts like his compete level, but I would not call him a physical player; and he’s not the biggest player.

1. Layton Ahac, D, Prince George-BCHL
Feb. 22, 2001 | 6-foot-2 | 187 pounds

When I saw Ahac early in the season I wasn’t all that intrigued, but he picked up steam as the campaign went along. He was a big part of why Prince George won its BCHL title. Ahac isn’t a very flashy defenseman, but he’s a steady presence. He’s 6-foot-2, mobile and smart. Ahac kills plays with his feet and stick, and he was trusted to check good players at the junior level. He’s got good enough feet to escape pressure and skate pucks up ice. The question on his pro projection is how much skill/upside he has. He often looks bland with the puck, but he produced more in the playoffs. I don’t see pro power play potential in his game, though.

1. Ivan Drozdov, RW, Minsk-KHL
Nov. 15, 1999 | six-foot | 174 pounds

I kept an eye on Drozdov in 2017-18 and he was the best player at the World Junior B pool this season. He wasn’t that productive in the KHL, but watching those games you saw flashes of a real player. Drozdov has a lot of skill and it’s what makes him interesting. He showed the ability to dangle KHL defensemen at a quick pace and make plays to create chances. He’s got good feet. They’re not amazing, but he can pull away from defenders and push players back. He’s not the bulkiest forward, and versus men you saw him get exposed with his strength in battles. He’s listed at six-foot, but I think he’s smaller than that. He does compete well, though, and has some bite in his game.

1. Mikhail Shalagin, RW, Spartak-MHL
Sept. 12, 1999 | 6-foot-4 | 168 pounds

I put Shalagin on my list last season and he went undrafted. Coming into the season the record for most goals in the MHL (the top Russian junior league) in a single season was 42 goals in 54 games. Shalagin scored 48 in 43 this past season. Safe to say, he knows how to score goals. Shalagin had quite a few instances where he picked corners from a distance and showed a plus, if not a plus-plus shot. He’s got the soft skill to create chances and flashes high-end skill, although, for his age and the level, you wonder if he’ll be able to dangle as well in the KHL. While his goal-scoring is his value, he can make plays and has impressive hockey sense in terms of his vision and creativity. His skating is OK. He’s not that slow, but the stride is inefficient. He doesn’t get inside that much because he’s often trying to snipe from the circle, but he competes fine. He was 19 in the MHL and struggled at the international U20 level, so there is cause for concern if he was just too old for the level.

Anerdyblackguy

Supporter
Daps
Part 15
level.

1. Luka Burzan, RW, Brandon-WHL
Jan. 7, 2000 | six-foot | 190 pounds

Burzan is a second-year-eligible prospect. He was touted coming up but struggled in his first draft season with scouts expressing concerns about his hockey sense. He bounced back this season, leading the WHL with 40 goals, and the hockey sense issues don’t seem to be prevalent. Burzan brings impressive speed and skill to the table. He can really push the pace when he wants to and has the hands to play through defenders. He made more plays this season, showing good creativity and vision with the puck. He generated quite a few goals this season with his playmaking. Burzan isn’t a complete player, but he plays in the hard areas and has some energy in his game. Defensively and physically, he’s not the best, but I don’t think those are huge issues.

1. Martin Hugo Has, D, Tappara-Finland U20
Feb. 2, 2001 | 6-foot-4 | 187 pounds

I highlighted Hugo Has at this time last season as a top talent in the 2001 age group who looked promising in the summer. His season was a disappointment. He didn’t play all that well in league play and teams I talked to were very concerned about his trajectory. He does have an intriguing enough toolkit to remain a pick for me, even given those concerns. He’s a 6-foot-4 defenseman who can move the puck. He has above-average IQ and some power play QB ability. His skating isn’t a selling point. I know some scouts who call him slow. I disagree. I think it projects as pro-average. He has some elusiveness and can close on checks but won’t be a blazer. He’ll need work around the edges to become more consistent all-around, but there’s an NHL toolkit here if he puts it together.

1. Maxim Denezhkin, C, Yaroslavl-MHL
Dec. 10, 2000 | 5-foot-10 | 165 pounds

Denezhkin was one of the top players and leading scorer for the best junior team in Russia. He’s a versatile forward, and has the skill and hockey sense to create offense. He’s a very good passer and finisher who scores with his above-average shot but also by attacking the net hard. His compete level shows at both ends of the rink, as he can make stops and kill penalties. His offensive game with the puck won’t dazzle, but he has good hands and can feather pucks through seams. While he’s not a bad skater, he has some speed and is balanced on his skates; but he isn’t a blazer and his stride isn’t technically ideal. Scouts talk highly about Denezhkin’s character/off-ice work ethic, so it’s possible he improves that area down the line.

1. Marcus Kallionkieli, LW, Sioux City-USHL
March 20, 2001 | 6-foot-2 | 176 pounds

Kallionkieli got a lot of attention early in the season, as his line with Bobby Brink and Martin Pospisil quickly became the best in the USHL. Kallionkieli tailed off as that line lost its components through the season, causing concerns if he might be too complimentary. He’s not going to be a primary driver on a line, but he has a decent talent level. He has good offensive instincts. He’s able to make plays in tight areas and has enough vision to move pucks into the right spots. He’s known for his goal-scoring more than his playmaking. He’s got a hard shot and can ring shots off posts from a distance. He skates well for a bigger guy. He may not have a true separation gear, but he can skate with pros. There are times you wish he was a tad more physical for a guy his size, but he competes for pucks. He might be too bland for the NHL, but he’s got a chance.

1. Aleks Haatanen, LW, Pelicans, Jr. A Liiga
Nov. 16, 2000 | 5-foot-9 | 179 pounds

Haatanen had a solid campaign between the Finnish junior and second-tier pro level. He really popped when I saw him play for Finland at U19 tournaments. He’s not a perfect player by any means. He’s 5-foot-9, he skates fine but he’s not a speedster, and he’s not overly physical. I like his compete level, though. What he does have in buckets are skill and vision. Haatanen is a player who creates offense with the puck and is a very good playmaker. He can run a power play and has a good seam pass completion percentage. He’s creative and has very quick hands in traffic. He’s a quality late-round candidate for a team looking to bet on skill and hoping he develops as a player over the next few years.

1. Kristian Tanus, LW, Tappara-Liiga
Aug. 17, 2000 | 5-foot-8 | 159 pounds

Physical Game: 25
Hockey Sense: 65

I monitored Tanus last season but he ultimately never moved the needle. This season at the pro level in Finland, he showed more dynamic elements and a finishing touch to get onto my list. What drives Tanus’ value is his brain. He’s one of the best passers eligible to be drafted. He runs a power play off the half-wall extremely well with the patience and IQ to thread pucks through lanes and wait for options to develop. What’s kept Tanus from being drafted is he’s 5-foot-8 with average feet, and he’s not a true game breaker with his feet or hands. I do think his shot looks much more promising than at this point last season, though. It’s reasonable to be wary of him, but he’s so smart and has been decent defensively over the years.

1. Josh Nodler, C, Fargo-USHL
April 27, 2001 | 5-foot-11 | 196 pounds

Nodler was good for Team USA internationally and Fargo in the USHL this past season. His hockey sense drives his value. Nodler is a top-end playmaker who can run a power play off the flank and make very creative passes routinely. He’s got good hands, but he’s not a guy who will try to go through defenders a ton. Nodler’s sense and skill give him a chance to play, but he’s got a lot to work on. His skating doesn’t impress at his size; it’s roughly average speed with a stride that could use work, which isn’t helped by the fact his frame has a lot of weight on it already. Defensively he’s fine but he’s not going to put guys through walls. He’s a guy you draft for the offensive upside, wait three-to-four years in college and hope he comes out improved.

1. William Constantinou, D, Kingston-OHL
March 25, 2001 | six-foot | 185 pounds

Hockey Sense: 50

Constantinou is a divisive prospect. He’s immensely talented but can also be frustrating to watch. He started off the season playing limited minutes on a good Niagara team before moving into a large role with Kingston as part of the Jason Robertson trade. Constantinou’s skating and skill stand out immediately to anyone who watches him. When he gets the puck, he’s looking to make a difference. He escapes pressure very easily with his plus edgework, he spins off checks consistently and he has the speed to push the pace. His hands are always moving, and he can make plays through defenders. His issues are his lackluster defensive play combined with bad puck management. He often tries to make the one extra move and it doesn’t always work. He also doesn’t sense pressure that well, which can result in bad defensive turnovers. He’s worth a shot for the massive upside.

Anerdyblackguy

Supporter
Daps

Auburn hasn’t exactly tried to hide the fact that it wanted to add a piece to its receiving corps over the last several weeks.

It started with the pursuit of former Arkansas wideout La’Michael Pettway, who decided to finish his career with a transfer to Iowa State. It continued with a visit from Velus Jones Jr., an Alabama native and a speedy target from USC.

And then, last Saturday, the Tigers got what they had been looking for in the transfer market by gaining a commitment from Youngstown State wide receiver Zach Farrar.
Farrar won’t arrive at Auburn with a ton of previous production to his name. He signed with Oklahoma and redshirted the 2016 season before transferring to Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College, where he had 11 catches for 266 yards and four touchdowns in 2017. At the FCS level last year, Farrar had 20 catches for 307 yards and one score.

But it’s clear Auburn wanted him for a specific purpose.

“It’s the immediate need at the position,” Farrar told Jason Caldwell of 247Sportsafter his commitment. “That’s the bottom line. I’m coming from a I-AA school, but Auburn sees my potential, and they know I can play.”

“The position” for Farrar is split end or X, which is also known as the “9” in Gus Malzahn’s numbers-based offensive terminology. That role was most recently held by Darius Slayton, who recorded 1,313 receiving yards and 10 touchdowns across the last two seasons.

Although there are a lot of moving parts when it comes to where players line up in Auburn’s offense — that is, a certain wideout can be playing the same position but stand at different spots in different formations — receivers normally just learn one or two roles.

And it’s not like Auburn is in a numbers crisis at receiver. Even with Kolbi Fuqua’s post-spring departure from the team, the Tigers have plenty of depth out wide.

Fans have been clamoring to see more opportunities for Seth Williams and Anthony Schwartz after their instant-impact freshman campaigns. Former top-100 recruit Matthew Hill has been talked about quite a bit. Veterans Eli Stove and Will Hastings are back from knee injuries that cost them almost all of 2018. Marquis McClain was a spring practice star. Four-star signees Ja’Varrius Johnson and Jashawn Sheffield are set to arrive soon.

Some of those same fans might have been puzzled to see Auburn go after Farrar, Jones or Pettway considering all that returning talent out wide. Why not give more playing time to the returning receivers instead of trying to add a new player who has limited experience?

To better understand what Auburn is doing at receiver this offseason, let’s take a closer look at the roles themselves and where the pieces might all come together.

Split end/X/9
The split end is the deep-ball specialist in Malzahn’s offense. In most formations, the split end is on a side by himself, or at least on the opposite end of where the “2” and the “5” — more on them later — line up.

Slayton took over this role during the last two seasons, when Auburn had the strong arm of Jarrett Stidham at quarterback. Before Slayton, Tony Stevens, Ricardo Louis and Sammie Coates were the go-to split ends in the Malzahn era. Auburn’s top “9” receivers have averaged at least 15 yards per catch since Malzahn returned to the Plains, with Slayton and Coates averaging more than 19 yards per catch during their time as starters.

Speed is obviously a high priority at split end, but the role demands more than that.

“Nines are more of your bigger receivers, your X,” receivers coach Kodi Burns said in 2017. “Typically, you’re going to get a lot of press into the boundary any time it’s man-to-man. So you’ve got to be able to work releases and hold a point and be pretty strong.”

On Auburn’s 2019 team, Schwartz, Hill and Stove definitely have the speed. Schwartz has serious Olympic intentions as a sprinter. However, at 6-foot and 179 pounds, he doesn’t have the prototypical size of a split end.

This spring, most of the work at split end went to McClain and senior Sal Cannella. (Fuqua also lined up here with the second-team offense during A-Day.) McClain hasn’t had much in-game experience, and Cannella has primarily been used as a red-zone specialist who goes back and forth between outside receiver and a pseudo-tight end role.

While McClain received plenty of praise from coaches and teammates during practices, he admitted the “9” was a tough adjustment for someone who has spent a lot of time in the slot.

“Darius is fast,” McClain said. “I definitely can say that now playing the position and being on the orange group, Darius is really fast. When he was tired, he was still blowing by people.”

McClain and Cannella have obvious upside at split end. Their size and strength are important for getting physical with cornerbacks and creating separation. But do they have the speed to be the traditional deep-ball threats for Malzahn?

Another option to watch is Williams. At 6-foot-3 and 224 pounds, the sophomore has the perfect size to take advantage of 1-on-1 opportunities on the outside.

“It’s really bringing my game up, because last year I wasn’t pressed very much playing in the slot,” Williams said. “Moving to the outside, I probably have more opportunities on the outside and more chances to win downfield.”

Williams told reporters during the spring that his biggest areas for improvement were route-running and release. A top-tier split end needs to be able to get past cornerbacks and find room to make the big plays downfield.

Anerdyblackguy

Supporter
Daps
Part two
While Williams got some work on the outside during the A-Day Game, most of his big plays came when he lined up at his familiar position in the slot. He’ll need more development on the outside before he can become an unquestioned No. 1 at the “9,” and Auburn definitely likes the matchup problems he creates against linebackers, safeties and nickels in the slot.

That brings things back to Farrar, the former two-sport athlete at Youngstown State. Farrar has the size teams would love to have on the outside, as he stands at 6-foot-4.

He also has plenty of experience being the vertical threat on the field. As his highlights with the Penguins show, he often lined up outside and ran intermediate-to-deep routes. The number of deep posts, streaks and double moves are quite similar to how Auburn used Slayton over the last two seasons.
Experience is important for Auburn at receiver, especially in a season that will feature a freshman starting quarterback. Farrar hasn’t played much against the caliber of competition he’ll face in the SEC.

However, considering his physical tools, the two remaining years of instant eligibility and the lack of a concrete replacement for Slayton at split end, it’s not hard to see why Auburn offered him a scholarship while it focuses some of its budding young stars at their more familiar roles.

Flanker/Z/2
While the likes of Slayton and Coates have been the top names at the “9,” Ryan Davis and Quan Bray have been the ones to know at the “2” — along with some productive rushing threats.

“Twos are more of speed-sweep guys that get the ball and get deep, home-run posts, and some bubbles,” Burns said. “So twos are a little bit more of smaller players for us in this offense.”

With Stidham’s affinity for quick passes, Auburn went to Davis often at flanker. He turned from someone who would normally be a standard slot receiver to a high-volume outside weapon, catching plenty of screens and slants on his way to Auburn’s career receptions record.

As Burns says, the flanker is also the popular speed-sweep man. Stove played this role in 2016 and 2017, and he looks like the favorite to start at the “2” in 2019 after his recovery from an ACL tear.

“I’d like to get stuff like Ryan Davis did,” Stove said. “I look up to Ryan a lot, and he’s a good mentor to me. I think I can do the same things he did.”

This is also where the smaller Schwartz will most likely play. Schwartz finished 2018 with more carries than receptions, stepping up for the injured Stove in the rotation with Davis. Whether it’s through the air or on the ground, Auburn will look to use Schwartz’s world-class speed even more in his sophomore season.

Schwartz did not practice this spring, and a lot of the reps at flanker with Stove went to Hill. The redshirt freshman looks like the ideal receiver to follow in the footsteps of Davis with his ability to make big plays in the open field.

“(Hill) has a similar skill set as me,” Davis said in December. “I feel like once he gets the repetition and gets that confidence level going… he’s a great player who has a lot of athleticism, and he’s a guy you want with the ball in his hands.”

Both Johnson and Sheffield, the two incoming freshmen, appear to fit the wider-ranging mold Auburn has at flanker.

And while this may sound like too many players for just one role, flanker might be the most versatile spot in the entire offense.

Flankers often spend time in the slot, depending on the formation, if Auburn wants to go with two bigger targets on the outside. Hill spent quite a bit of time in the slot during A-Day, and he could carve out a significant role there if flanker is locked up by Stove and Schwartz.

Slot/3
This is where the numbering system can get a little confusing.

Fans might have heard the H-back in Malzahn’s offense referred to as the “3-back.” In Auburn’s standard personnel grouping — three receivers, one running back and one H-back or attached tight end — the receivers are the 2, 5 and 9. The 3 is the H-back, and the 4 is the running back. (The 1 is the quarterback, for those who might be wondering.)

Anerdyblackguy

Supporter
Daps
Part 3
But what happens if Auburn doesn’t line up with an H-back or a tight end? What if it elects to use four receivers? In this case, the other slot receiver on the inside becomes the 3.

“Yeah, a small 3,” Hastings explained during the 2017 season. “Chandler Cox is the big 3 with Spencer Nigh and those guys. We’re the little 3s.”

The traditional slot receiver might be the least used of the four in Auburn’s offense, but it is a vital position. Hastings was a reliable safety valve for Stidham in 2017 and was an efficient big-play weapon on double moves. It’s not easy for a 5-foot-10, 167-pound former kicker to average more than 20 yards per catch.

Hastings was cleared for contact at the end of spring practice but didn’t participate in the A-Day Game. The first-team offense used Stove in the slot, and Hill got reps there later in the first half.

The wild card at the position is Harold Joiner, a running back by trade. It appeared the 6-foot-4 redshirt freshman would be a factor at the H-back position in 2019, but Malzahn said he has worked mostly at running back and slot receiver. During A-Day, he lined up there early with the second-team offense and had several catches.

“He has been very, very effective in the slot,” Malzahn said. “He’s a guy that will do both. He’s really the main one that’s playing two positions.”

“The little 3s” — or, in the case of Joiner, “the not-so-little 3s” — became more common in Auburn’s offense with Stidham and former offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey.

And whoever starts at quarterback could determine how often these receivers will be used in 2019. During the A-Day Game, Joey Gatewood played only two of his 18 first-half snaps with four receivers in the formation. Bo Nix played eight of his 20 with four receivers and eight more with three receivers and a tight end.

Big slot/Y/5
One of the biggest complaints among Auburn fans over the last several seasons is the Tigers’ lack of passing targets to the tight ends. While some of that came down to the personnel at the position, another way to look at it is the rise of the big slot receiver under Malzahn.

Traditionally, the “5” is the tight end. In Malzahn’s offense, that player often fluctuated between an attached, hand-in-the-dirt spot and a detached receiver position — think C.J. Uzomah or Philip Lutzenkirchen.

Auburn hasn’t had that dynamic threat at a traditional tight end spot over the last few seasons. Instead, the “5” has more often been a big slot receiver. Williams did most of his damage there in 2018. Kyle Davis and Nate Craig-Myers were weapons there before their early departures. Tony Stevens also spent some time at this position.

Again, Williams could see some more snaps on the outside in 2019, and the split end and big slot positions have an interchangeability that’s similar to the flanker and traditional slot roles. But a lot of those effective deep corners on A-Day came with Williams back in the slot.

Williams isn’t alone at this position, either. With Stove and Hastings down last season and Hill taking a redshirt, Auburn sometimes went “double big” with its slots in four-wide receiver sets. Both McClain and Cannella have experience at the big slot and worked there some in the spring.
Interestingly enough, Shedrick Jackson was a big slot for the second-team offense during most of the first half on A-Day. Jackson makes sense as a potential option at split end, where he backed up Slayton a season ago. But in the spring game, the Tigers have kept him more on the inside, where he can deliver more of the run blocks that got him on the field as a freshman last fall. He’ll be an interesting name to track this fall, considering Auburn’s desire to add a split end through the transfer market.

Auburn made a point to show its receivers moving all around the offense during the A-Day Game. It’s a trademark for Malzahn, especially when he wants his no-huddle attack to move quickly between plays.

But with the likes of Williams, Schwartz and Hill still learning and growing in Auburn’s offense as second-year players, the Tigers will want to balance out the exciting potential of versatility with the focused development of locking into a specific position.

When that situation combines with two highly productive players moving on to the NFL, it’s honestly no surprise to see Auburn try to add an older playmaker to a unit that has a lot of stepping forward to do in 2019.

Sauce Dab

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Auburn hasn’t exactly tried to hide the fact that it wanted to add a piece to its receiving corps over the last several weeks.

It started with the pursuit of former Arkansas wideout La’Michael Pettway, who decided to finish his career with a transfer to Iowa State. It continued with a visit from Velus Jones Jr., an Alabama native and a speedy target from USC.

And then, last Saturday, the Tigers got what they had been looking for in the transfer market by gaining a commitment from Youngstown State wide receiver Zach Farrar.
Farrar won’t arrive at Auburn with a ton of previous production to his name. He signed with Oklahoma and redshirted the 2016 season before transferring to Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College, where he had 11 catches for 266 yards and four touchdowns in 2017. At the FCS level last year, Farrar had 20 catches for 307 yards and one score.

But it’s clear Auburn wanted him for a specific purpose.

“It’s the immediate need at the position,” Farrar told Jason Caldwell of 247Sportsafter his commitment. “That’s the bottom line. I’m coming from a I-AA school, but Auburn sees my potential, and they know I can play.”

“The position” for Farrar is split end or X, which is also known as the “9” in Gus Malzahn’s numbers-based offensive terminology. That role was most recently held by Darius Slayton, who recorded 1,313 receiving yards and 10 touchdowns across the last two seasons.

Although there are a lot of moving parts when it comes to where players line up in Auburn’s offense — that is, a certain wideout can be playing the same position but stand at different spots in different formations — receivers normally just learn one or two roles.

And it’s not like Auburn is in a numbers crisis at receiver. Even with Kolbi Fuqua’s post-spring departure from the team, the Tigers have plenty of depth out wide.

Fans have been clamoring to see more opportunities for Seth Williams and Anthony Schwartz after their instant-impact freshman campaigns. Former top-100 recruit Matthew Hill has been talked about quite a bit. Veterans Eli Stove and Will Hastings are back from knee injuries that cost them almost all of 2018. Marquis McClain was a spring practice star. Four-star signees Ja’Varrius Johnson and Jashawn Sheffield are set to arrive soon.

Some of those same fans might have been puzzled to see Auburn go after Farrar, Jones or Pettway considering all that returning talent out wide. Why not give more playing time to the returning receivers instead of trying to add a new player who has limited experience?

To better understand what Auburn is doing at receiver this offseason, let’s take a closer look at the roles themselves and where the pieces might all come together.

Split end/X/9
The split end is the deep-ball specialist in Malzahn’s offense. In most formations, the split end is on a side by himself, or at least on the opposite end of where the “2” and the “5” — more on them later — line up.

Slayton took over this role during the last two seasons, when Auburn had the strong arm of Jarrett Stidham at quarterback. Before Slayton, Tony Stevens, Ricardo Louis and Sammie Coates were the go-to split ends in the Malzahn era. Auburn’s top “9” receivers have averaged at least 15 yards per catch since Malzahn returned to the Plains, with Slayton and Coates averaging more than 19 yards per catch during their time as starters.

Speed is obviously a high priority at split end, but the role demands more than that.

“Nines are more of your bigger receivers, your X,” receivers coach Kodi Burns said in 2017. “Typically, you’re going to get a lot of press into the boundary any time it’s man-to-man. So you’ve got to be able to work releases and hold a point and be pretty strong.”

On Auburn’s 2019 team, Schwartz, Hill and Stove definitely have the speed. Schwartz has serious Olympic intentions as a sprinter. However, at 6-foot and 179 pounds, he doesn’t have the prototypical size of a split end.

This spring, most of the work at split end went to McClain and senior Sal Cannella. (Fuqua also lined up here with the second-team offense during A-Day.) McClain hasn’t had much in-game experience, and Cannella has primarily been used as a red-zone specialist who goes back and forth between outside receiver and a pseudo-tight end role.

While McClain received plenty of praise from coaches and teammates during practices, he admitted the “9” was a tough adjustment for someone who has spent a lot of time in the slot.

“Darius is fast,” McClain said. “I definitely can say that now playing the position and being on the orange group, Darius is really fast. When he was tired, he was still blowing by people.”

McClain and Cannella have obvious upside at split end. Their size and strength are important for getting physical with cornerbacks and creating separation. But do they have the speed to be the traditional deep-ball threats for Malzahn?

Another option to watch is Williams. At 6-foot-3 and 224 pounds, the sophomore has the perfect size to take advantage of 1-on-1 opportunities on the outside.

“It’s really bringing my game up, because last year I wasn’t pressed very much playing in the slot,” Williams said. “Moving to the outside, I probably have more opportunities on the outside and more chances to win downfield.”

Williams told reporters during the spring that his biggest areas for improvement were route-running and release. A top-tier split end needs to be able to get past cornerbacks and find room to make the big plays downfield.
You know I’d rep if I could :salute:

Anerdyblackguy

Supporter
Daps
First article
CORAL SPRINGS, Fla. — Two days before he enrolled at Florida, Khris Bogle stared at the terrain without saying a word about the uncommon hills in such a flat state. It was his first time working out in the park with an older group. When asked about the potential difficulty of the upcoming training session, he shrugged with a smile while sitting on a bench.

Bogle’s workout partners arrived as he swapped his sneakers for cleats. Among them were two football players from Vanderbilt, including defensive back Max Worship, whom Bogle trained with plenty over the summer, and one from Duke, all from the Fort Lauderdale area.

“Working out with the older guys,” Bogle said matter-of-factly, “they are making me work harder than I have ever worked in my life.”

Before the agility and speed drills started, one of Bogle’s friends asked an innocuous question.

“So, Khris,” he said, “when do you get to Florida?”

This was a Thursday. Bogle told him he would be in Gainesville that Saturday.

“Geez,” his friend says. “That’s quick.”

Bogle nodded. Like the hills’ height in the park, if the calendar’s speed concerned or intimidated him, he didn’t show it.

Bogle arrived at Florida on May 11 for early summer classes with three other players, including cornerback Kaiir Elam, the No. 48 overall player from the 2019 class, per the 247Sports Composite, and the Gators’ highest-rated recruit from last cycle. Bogle, the No. 71 overall player and third-best weak-side defensive end, is next on that list for Florida. Bogle became an important piece of Florida’s class as soon as he picked the Gators over Miami and Alabama on signing day.

With the departures of cornerback Chris Steele — who originally was the highest-rated player among Florida’s haul — and quarterback Jalon Jones, combined with linebacker/safety Diwun Black not qualifying academically, there is a greater onus of salvation on Bogle.

“There isn’t really a feeling of ‘I’m nervous’ or anything like that,” Bogle said. “All I know is I just have to go there and do what I do best because there is no coming back home.”

The next player in college football to transfer to a school closer to home won’t be the first. When that fact was relayed to Bogle, he shook his head, doubled down on his stance and explained why The Swamp was his preferred destination despite his proximity to Miami.

“Toward the end, I felt like I couldn’t stay home,” Bogle said. “I gotta get far away as much as possible.”

From Bogle’s perspective, there are too many “distractions.” That’s a concern shared by many; while temptation can be ubiquitous, familiarity often aids transgressions. Bogle said he “knows himself,” and if he would have stayed, he possibly would have “gotten too mixed up.”

Bogle grew up in Fort Lauderdale with his mother and without his father. “I’m doing great without it,” he said. Bogle is close with his mother and sister and has leaned on his uncles as male role models. He plans to study sports medicine to possibly follow in the footsteps of one of his uncles, who is a chiropractor. He also wants to start a clothing line and business with his sister.

At 18, Bogle’s speaking and organizational skills rival the football ability he developed at Cardinal Gibbons as a highly regarded four-star prospect. The process for an interview started with Bogle saying he would send a message the next morning for a time and place. At 7:30 a.m. the following day after initial correspondence, the information promptly arrived.

“He has always been a mature kid and he is smart enough to listen and take good advice,” said Lenox Smith, a family friend and someone Bogle looked up to. “He is an attentive listener and that’s one thing that has impressed me about him. He was always told to do what he needs to do and what he says he is going to do. One of the other things that was always emphasized to him is to keep the right people around him.”

He is also self-aware.

“People might say I’m too selfish or too arrogant,” Bogle said. “But, I mean, in some situations you have to be selfish and do what is best for you and take that route.

“I’ve been cutting the wrong people out of my life — people who are there just to be there — since ninth or 10th grade. You want people to benefit you and motivate you in life, not hold you back, telling you not to practice on this day or stuff like that.”

Bogle takes advice, those close to him say, but makes decisions on his own, like with his recruitment. Bogle committed to Alabama during the U.S. Army All-American Bowl and decided to flip to Florida, he said, two days before signing day. Throughout the process, Miami was among the schools that recruited him the hardest. When word got around he had chosen the Gators, Bogle didn’t always see positive responses.

“Down here, it’s a lot of hatred,” Bogle said. “Nobody wants to see you win, do good. The only people you’re really going to have behind you is your close friends who are down for you and have been down for you since you were kids. Your family is going to be behind you. Your coaches are going to be behind you. That’s like it. Everybody on the outside, you’re going to hear, ‘Oh, he was supposed to go to Miami. He led Miami on.’

“At the end of the day, it was my decision. I did what was best for me and my mom, my aunts, my uncles … we all came to a decision that it was best for me.”

So did Bogle feel he led Miami on?

“I mean, you probably could say that because I took a lot of unofficial visits,” Bogle said. “I took two official visits because (Mark Richt) had left.”

Bogle “took everything in” at Miami, as he explained it, and still opted for Florida because of a desire to be farther from home. Another major reason for that decision was Gators defensive coordinator Todd Grantham, who developed a relationship with Bogle and his mother. Trust was established quickly. When Bogle and his mother asked Grantham if he had plans to go to the NFL, Grantham was honest. He said he might or might not. As the Bengals pursued Grantham in February, Grantham kept Bogle updated.

“I just wanted him to be 100 percent honest with me,” Bogle said. “I still would’ve probably been at Florida even if he would’ve left.”

Toward the end of spring practice in mid-April, Grantham was asked about the production at edge rusher this season after Jachai Polite left. Grantham responded by listing names. He mentioned Jabari Zuniga, Jonathan Greenard, Mohamoud Diabate, Jeremiah Moon and the younger David Reese. Then he named someone who wasn’t yet on campus.

“You got Bogle coming in, too,” Grantham said.

With Greenard’s arrival as a graduate transfer from Louisville, Florida doesn’t need Bogle to assume a major role as a freshman. That is especially true if Moon is healthy after a foot injury forced him out during the spring. Still, it is expected that Bogle will at least be given an opportunity to earn playing time. And while there is competition to climb the depth chart, it’s not like he hasn’t overcome hills before.

“I know I have a big chip on my shoulder,” Bogle said. “I already know I am going to do well in the classroom because that is my mindset. I’m just going to go there and compete, try to beat out people who are already there and try my hardest. A lot of people down here are expecting me to fail, but if God is willing, I’m going to go up there and do what I do best

Anerdyblackguy

Supporter
Daps
Second Article
Linkin Park’s “Burn It Down” was the first song played during the 11-on-11 portion of Florida’s practice Thursday, and the chorus hadn’t even finished before Amari Burney broke something up.

“We’re building it up,” the lyrics say, “to burn it down.” On a veteran defense with lofty expectations, Burney, a sophomore, has climbed the depth chart since Florida’s bowl practices and game in December. He participated with the first team at linebacker throughout the first two days of spring. Burney’s past, his skill set and the recent steps he took toward this ascent indicate a flameout is unlikely.

It was 5:35 p.m. and players had reported to the practice field nearly two hours earlier. The temperature was threatening 85 degrees, the sun particularly unrelenting for a mid-March afternoon, even in Gainesville. And Feleipe Franks was having a day. The quarterback showcased impressive touch with deep throws and precision with short ones. His first throw during the pivotal portion of 11-on-11 was a screen to Van Jefferson for a few yards.

But then Franks attempted an out to tight end Lucas Krull, and Burney prevented a completion. Burney (6 feet 2) smothered Krull (6 feet 6). Burney, who had been mostly unchallenged to that point — tight end Dante Lang couldn’t secure a catch against him on an out route during seven-on-seven, but that was the only other target — read the route and sped to Krull before the tight end was able to create separation on the way to the sideline. Burney was draped all over him, which forced Krull to try to make the catch with only his right hand. Krull couldn’t.

“Pass coverage, he could do it with the best of them,” linebacker David Reese said of Burney after practice. “He’s probably one of the fastest guys on our team, defensive backs and all.”

Speed and coverage skills are two reasons why Burney lined up alongside Reese, a starting linebacker and defensive anchor, in Florida’s first two spring practices. As a freshman who enrolled early last year, Burney was a fixture on special teams and was Chauncey Gardner-Johnson’s backup at star or nickel back. The Gators have other options with more experience at linebacker such as James Houston, Ventrell Miller and Rayshad Jackson. All three are solid and have been active, particularly on runs, so far this spring. But they can’t match up against tight ends, slot receivers and running backs in the flat the way Burney can. Burney also has the edge in explosiveness as a blitzer.

And that’s what the Gators need from the linebacker next to Reese, who is a steady tackler and is adept at halting runs.

Quarterbacks were 14-for-21 while targeting a receiver against former Florida linebacker Vosean Joseph last year, according to data from Sports Info Solutions. That 66.7 completion rate ranked second-worst on the team (minimum 10 targets) behind Reese. Joseph, who left the Gators and announced for the NFL Draft after the bowl game, allowed only 5.76 yards per attempt, but a few of the completions against him were memorable; tight ends were sometimes wide-open in the middle field because of a miscommunication. It happened a few times in the loss to Georgia, for example.

Burney was targeted seven times last year and allowed two catches for two yards. Burney in coverage at linebacker on third downs should give the Gators a boost. What Joseph did provide was pressure, with four sacks. Burney has reached the quarterback on both practice days so far while blitzing.

Defensive coordinator Todd Grantham tinkered with Burney playing linebacker late in the season to try to get a better understanding of how Burney would look alongside Reese, especially if Joseph were to leave. Burney was featured at linebacker on third downs against Florida State and Michigan. He fared well, blitzing effectively off the edge, and he picked up a sack in the third quarter against Michigan..

With cornerback Marco Wilson healthy after an ACL injury last year and early enrollee Chris Steele on campus, the Gators have talent and better depth at cornerback, which allowed Trey Dean to shift to nickel. At safety, Jeawon Taylor and Donovan Stiner have seen the most reps with the first team, with Brad Stewart getting a healthy amount of action behind them (Shawn Davis has been out).

An argument can be made that Burney belongs at safety, where his talent level may be superior to others among Florida’s group at that position. Taylor, for example, allowed nine completions on 15 targets and quarterbacks averaged 10 yards per attempt against him. The counterargument to that is Taylor, Stiner, Stewart and Davis have all logged a considerable amount of time in building game experience and the staff has developed them into better players, as evidenced by the group’s overall improvement toward the end of the season, and, specifically, the better play from Taylor, who had eight tackles against Michigan. The Gators also have more depth at safety with John Huggins making a case for more playing time.

In addition to his skill set filling a need at a linebacker, from a talent perspective, Burney is one of the Gators’ best 11 defensive players. The former four-star’s ranking as a recruit was the sixth-best in Florida’s 2018 class. Houston and Miller showed upside in limited action last year with memorable stops on special teams and against the run after their respective returns from season-long suspensions in 2017. The guess here is that Burney will continue to participate with mostly the first team, but Houston, Miller and Jackson will continue to see some opportunity there, too, battle for reps and rotate some throughout the season.

“I tell everybody that you never know what’s going to happen because it’s a long season, so you need to keep a level head,” Reese said when asked how he thought the other linebackers were responding to Burney’s presence and the competition. “You know, Coach is going to play whoever works the hardest, whoever gets the stuff down the hardest. At my position, I just want to make sure whoever is next to me is playing at the best of their capability.”

Florida head coach Dan Mullen said Burney had a strong winter. Burney has sought additional teaching from linebackers coach Christian Robinson, often wanting to meet with Robinson for further review. Named to the SEC Academic Honor Roll last year, Burney is constantly asking Robinson questions. Burney’s willingness to be coached isn’t lost on the staff. A player the current staff recruited, he is viewed as a guy who can be trusted with bridging the message from coach to player through his work ethic. He leads by example.

Burney, who was listed at 222 pounds last year, needs to add weight. Another 10 pounds would put him around where Houston, Miller and Jackson were listed. And it’s unknown how Burney will fare against the run because the first two days of practice were without pads.

“He’s going to be able to come with a lot of speed, we’re just going to have to get him right in the run game,” Reese said. “It’s not that I’m worried about him. We’re going to stop the run as a team. As a team, we’re going to play complete team defense, and he’s a great athlete who could play whatever position he wants to play on the field. Wherever they want to use a guy like Burney, they could use him.”

At the high school level, Burney played several positions, including safety, quarterback and wide receiver. When told Burney was lining up at linebacker so far this spring, former Calvary Christian head coach and NFL player Todd Yoder wasn’t surprised. Burney was used as a hybrid safety as a senior, often counted on to cover the field as a pure safety, blitz at different angles and lock up the opposing team’s best player in man coverage.

“He is a really rare combination of size and speed,” Yoder said. “He’s the most talented player that I ever coached in high school.”

(Photo: Michael Wade / Icon Sportswire via Getty

Anerdyblackguy

Supporter
Daps

The NBA Draft Combine came and went last week, seemingly with little fanfare given the lack of elite level players who were in attendance.

Zion Williamson wasn’t around for long, leaving early after only doing a couple of interviews with teams. Same with R.J. Barrett and Darius Garland. Ja Morant left early after doing interviews and a media session that was far too crowded with media to get anything even remotely interesting out of it. Likely lottery picks De’Andre Hunter and Rui Hachimura made the choice that the combine didn’t matter for them — something that’s eminently accurate — and didn’t even show up.

Then to top it off, after that set of players pulled out of the proceedings in full, a large group of players ended up deciding to skip the five-on-five games. Still, among the players who did attend, we gathered a wealth of knowledge. There were still players who stood out among the crowd, making the event a worthwhile one to attend for those deep into the basketball world. Here’s a breakdown of all the intel that came through these doors at the combine.

Who most helped themselves?
Luka Samanic, Petrol Olimpija: After a somewhat mixed year over in Slovenia playing for Olimpia and an average performance at Basketball Without Borders back in 2018, the luster on Samanic’s previously rising star had been somewhat dulled. He went from being considered one of the potential top-20 players as a modern NBA big man in the 2019 class to something much more questionable due in large part to his frame. However, despite their season being still active, Olimpia allowed Samanic to come over and attend the combine, where he made the choice to play in the five-on-five portion of the event.

Those were the right choices.

Samanic’s polish and skill level shone through in a significant way in his lone scrimmage performance. He scored 13 points and grabbed seven rebounds in 19 minutes, but more than that it was the way that everything seemed to come together from a translatability standpoint that made him this week’s primary standout. He hit a 3, and also was polished in the way he could set screens, short roll into an open area, and then find an open player to keep the offense in flow. Defensively, Samanic was able to switch positionally 1 through 5 at some level because of his fluidity as an athlete and increased size. His measurements weren’t necessarily outstanding, as he posted just a plus-one wingspan, but the key number was his weight. Indeed, Samanic’s body looked much better this year than it did at Basketball Without Borders just a year ago, where Samanic weighed in at just 205 pounds. He was much bigger throughout both his torso and legs, and the results were clear on the floor.

“Playing with men helps you be tougher,” Samanic said. “If you’re not tough, you’re not playing in Europe. I started working in the gym this March. I was 208 (pounds) at the start of the season, now I’m almost 230. So, I think that helps me, too.”

Entering the combine, Samanic was considered an outside chance to be selected in the first round if a team wanted to stash him. But following his one combine game, he shut it down for the rest of the event, feeling he proved all that he needed to in coming over to America. Following the combine, most executives who spoke with The Athletic believed that Samanic solidified himself as the third first rounder out of Europe this season along with France’s Sekou Doumbouya and Georgia’s Goga Bitadze. Still just 19, though, is it possible Samanic decides to not enter this draft and potentially try his luck again in 2020? I asked him, and he said he didn’t really have an answer at this stage.

“I don’t know. Things can change. You do one good day at the combine, your stock can go up. You do one bad day, your stock can go bad,” Samanic said. “So I’m not trying to think about things I cannot control. I’m trying to be focused and be the best I can be. Some days I’ll be good. Some days I’ll be less. But I need to play hard. European guys, even more you have to prove it.

“For me, the most important thing is to go to a good organization. Of course, everyone wants to be a high pick but you know, there’s so many examples of a guy getting picked high and then you have a bad year or something and you don’t improve yourself and get lost. So for me, I think it’s to get to the right spot and work hard.”

My bet is that Samanic ends up in the 2019 draft, and is taken in the first round by a smart organization. There are a few teams that stand out as interesting landing spots, including one of San Antonio’s two first round picks, one of Boston’s three first rounders, or one of Brooklyn’s two firsts. Each of those teams can afford to take a shot on a younger player, and each has a terrific international scouting staff who will have done their homework on the Croatian big man.

Nic Claxton, Georgia: Claxton wasn’t sure what to expect when he was invited to the combine. As a player who didn’t get a ton of publicity this season, it seemed like the outgoing center was still adjusting to what was happening around him.

“It’s a lot,” Claxton said with his trademark smile on his face. “Cameras in your face all the time. It’s a huge blessing, though. To be here, to be invited to the combine. I honestly didn’t know how prestigious it was to be invited here. But it’s dope, man.”

Still, Claxton is a guy that NBA executives have been extremely interested in this season because of his tools. They were on full display at the combine, where he was absolutely tremendous. Particularly, he showcased his potential on defense throughout both five-on-five games. In the first game, Claxton blocked seven shots and grabbed seven rebounds in 20 minutes. Then in the second game, he swatted four shots and grabbed four steals in 21 minutes. He also measured exceedingly well, coming in at 6-foot-10 without shoes on, with a near-7-3 wingspan and a 9-foot-2 standing reach, and posted the best lane agility score and vertical leap of any center.

In my previous mock draft, I had Claxton going late in the first round at No. 26, noting that I believed he would be someone who would significantly help himself throughout the pre-draft process. That ended up being exactly what happened. If I was selecting in the 20s, Claxton would be a no-brainer first rounder. Still, NBA teams are a bit skeptical on what exactly they do with the Georgia big man on offense. He has legitimate ball skills and can grab-and-go on the break, but he’s a still-developing shooter. Because the Bulldogs didn’t have much in the way of guard play, his screen-setting and rolling isn’t quite where it needs to be yet. Because of that, it’s expected that Claxton will spend a fair amount of time in the G-League in his first year in the NBA.

Given that situation, it’s no surprise Claxton is still testing the waters and expects to go up to the deadline as to whether or not he’ll make a decision. His line in the sand as to whether or not he’ll stay in the draft is the first round. If Claxton feels he’ll be a first round pick, he’s staying in. If he doesn’t, he’s going back to Georgia, and that’s largely because of how comfortable he is in Athens. He said he’s in a “win-win situation.” Both of his parents went to Georgia, where his dad Charles was a four-year starter who became a second-round draft pick of the Phoenix Suns in 1995. He genuinely loves the university, and enjoys playing for Tom Crean. Even after he declared for the draft, Claxton hosted recruits on visits.

“I’m all about Georgia,” Claxton said. “I feel like I have a great personality, and I do a great job of hosting recruits and telling them about the university, keeping it real with recruits. I’m a Georgia guy. I bleed red and black.”

Despite that love of the university, Claxton noted that at the end of the day, he has to do what’s right for him. I’d bet he gets the assurances he’s looking for from teams selecting at the end of the first round. There’s just too much upside here for teams to pass up, given that he’s a mobile big man who has potential to actually play games in the playoffs and also provide value with his perimeter offensive game.

Mfiondu Kabengele, Florida State: This one doesn’t have a wild amount to do with what Kabengele did at the combine, necessarily, although he helped himself with measurements and athletic testing. The Canadian big man came in at a solid 6-foot-10 in shoes with a terrific 7-foot-3 wingspan and solid 9-foot-1.5 standing reach. His vertical leap and lane agility scores were among the top scores for any combo forward/center. While the shooting scores shouldn’t really matter to executives, it’s worth noting that he made shots at an exceedingly high clip during those drills.

More than that, it’s just clear that, after speaking with executives, I have Kabengele too low at No. 40 in my mock draft. The feel around the league is that Kabengele is more likely to be taken in the top-25, as his combination of shooting and high-motor defense is terrific and fits the way the NBA is going. The one thing that’s worth noting: teams want to get a look at the medical testing taken at the combine surrounding Kabengele’s knees. Throughout the season, Kabengele wore braces on both knees, raising questions about their strength in the long-term. This isn’t to say there is an issue there; rather, teams just tend to be overly cautious and want to get a look to confirm. As long as that comes back clean, expect that Kabengele goes in Round One.

Terance Mann, Florida State: Mann had, by far, the most interesting week at the combine. He played in the G League Elite Camp on Monday and Tuesday, and looked absolutely terrific. In my opinion, he was clearly one of the five best players in attendance at the camp and performed up to that standard in the games. His high-level feel for the game shone through, as did his defensive acumen. However, after voting by NBA teams — some of which may have been sand-bagged by executives so as to not give other teams’ executives more looks at prospects — Mann was not one of the 10 players originally selected to go onto the NBA Draft Combine.

I’ll just let him tell the story of what his next two hours looked like.

“So, I played my butt off in the G League, went out there and do what I do. So I thought for sure I was going to make it,” Mann told The Athletic. “My coaches who were coaching me told me, ‘You’re definitely in. We talked to a bunch of people. You’re in.’ So the shuttle (to the airport) was at 4:15 (p.m.), and we got back to the hotel at 4, and nobody was telling me anything.

“So I got on my shuttle, stayed in traffic for like an hour and a half to get to the airport, got to the airport. Meanwhile, everything is coming out on my phone, they just dropped the 10 people who made it. So I’m going back home thinking I’ll be fine, I got great feedback. Teams are giving me great feedback. So I was fine with it. A little disappointed because this is a dream come true to be at the NBA Draft Combine, but you know

Brozay

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It’s $5 per month annually, hopefully more people that enjoy the content sign up before they go under. This kinda defeats the purpose