Official “The Athletic” thread

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
Florida defensive coordinator Todd Grantham was asked on Wednesday while talking to a group of reporters to list the names of the most successful edge rushers he has coached in his system. At Georgia, there was Justin Houston, Leonard Floyd and Jordan Jenkins. He got plenty out of Montez Sweat and Gerri Green at Mississippi State. And last year in Gainesville, Jachai Polite broke out.

That’s an apt tally now that Brenton Cox has transferred to Florida from Georgia.

Cox has as much, if not more, ability than any of those guys. The key for Grantham and Florida will be getting Cox to buy in and develop.

Cox, a sophomore outside linebacker and former five-star prospect, entered the NCAA transfer portal after a spring marijuana arrest and clashes with Georgia’s coaching staff, The Athletic reported earlier in the week. The Gators’ interest was immediate, multiple sources close to Florida said. Within minutes of being allowed to contact Cox, Grantham reached out, sources said.

The expectation right now is Cox won’t be eligible until next season. He is enrolled and will wear No. 6, per Florida’s roster, but he will need a waiver from the NCAA to play in 2019. He can still practice, however, and is expected to do so Friday.

In 2020, Cox will join a group expected to include high-end four-star freshmen Khris Bogle, Mohamoud Diabate and Lloyd Summerall, along with Jeremiah Moon, who is a redshirt junior (graduate transfer Jonathan Greenard is expected to be at Florida for only this season). The edge-rusher position at Florida doesn’t profile as a desperate need, but the addition of Cox underscores the level Florida is trying to reach. The idea is to stack talent so that any potential losses aren’t as crippling as what the Gators are experiencing in their secondary.

Cox is the only former five-star recruit on Florida’s roster. Georgia has recruited at such a high level that his departure wasn’t met with panic. As a freshman last year, Cox played in 13 of 14 games, including a start in the Sugar Bowl, and made 20 tackles and one sack. He wasn’t assured a starting role because Georgia now has Nolan Smith, the nation’s top high school prospect in the 2019 class, and Jermaine Johnson, the nation’s top junior college recruit.

The Gators’ system is a good fit for Cox, and Grantham’s history suggests he can tap into Cox’s potential and get the most out of him.

There will be room for Cox to shine, even with Bogle expected to thrive at Florida as a pass rusher, too. Even if Cox were to somehow be eligible for this season, Bogle would still play. He’s that good, and he’s had that good of a training camp, sources close to the program said. Grantham’s defense is heavy on rotating players and using personnel to fit certain packages. For example, Florida can always move guys around to get two players at the buck position on the same field in 2020.

That is assuming Cox’s transition is smooth, which it should be. Grantham once worked for Nick Saban at Michigan State, and there are some similarities with that defense and with what Kirby Smart, another former Saban assistant, does at Georgia. In theory, Grantham can teach Cox his defense by comparing it to what Cox was previously doing. The big difference would be how much Cox would be asked to rush the passer. Grantham places a higher value on edge rush and winning one-on-one battles.

All of that has been explained to Cox. Conversations about the need for him to be “buying in” have already occurred, too. They were part of a mutual feeling out process. Cox is friends with Florida defensive back Trey Dean and knows outside linebacker Andrew Chatfield. He called both for their takes, sources close to Florida said. History worked in Florida’s favor. Cox went to Stockbridge (Ga.), and that’s a school Florida head coach Dan Mullen has recruited heavily and a program he has good relationships from. So does Grantham. Offensive line coach John Hevesy recruits the area now, and he was a positive factor in Cox’s move, too.

Gainesville is less than five hours away from Cox’s hometown; he’ll still be playing in the SEC and in a system that should showcase his skills. Transfers have been a boon for Florida so far under Mullen, who said he doesn’t take transfers unless they can make an immediate impact once eligible. That’s part of what has made the Gators appealing for transfers. The production of Adam Shuler, Van Jefferson and Trevon Grimes is proof of what Mullen said being true. Greenard should add to that list this year. And then Cox can in 2020.

At Florida, Cox is getting a second chance. Mullen has offered them to several people over the years without a reoccurrence of whatever the issue was that warranted concern. When I asked Mullen a couple of months ago about his calculus when it comes to granting them, he offered a detailed breakdown.

“You have to gather as much information as you can about the entire situation,” Mullen said in May. “Then you are looking at the individual. At times, you’re looking, ‘Is this way out of character or is this a potential character flaw of the individual as you see it?’ Every decision you make is different, and I try to look at each situation as an individual situation. You spend time with who it is and who it impacts.

Grantham has had success when coaching players who needed a redemption chapter. Sweat, for instance, was kicked off Michigan State’s team and then went to Copiah-Lincoln Community College in Mississippi. He didn’t have success at Michigan State, but he meshed well with Grantham, who he looked up to, and had 10.5 sacks at Mississippi State in 2017. In April, the Redskins drafted him in the first round. Sometimes in college football, a change of venue can humble someone in college. It can significantly depend on the staff.

Grantham’s stint with the Dallas Cowboys from 2008-09 made him a better coach. It was there, while coaching Tank Johnson and Jay Ratliff, among others, he learned how to work with high-profile players, significant egos and high personalities. He worked with guys like that, and helped get them to buy into the idea of funneling personal goals into what is also best for the team.

The optics on Cox to Florida are uneven. For Florida — especially with all the Mullen-Smart rivalry talk and supposed trolling that dominated media a couple months ago — landing a five-star formerly of Georgia is a good, fun look. On the other hand, Cox’s past is a concern. Still, there is reason to believe the Cox-Florida marriage will work, and not just because the 247Sports Composite once ranked him the No. 23 overall player in the 2017 class.

Anerdyblackguy

Supporter
Daps

NAPA — Anthony Rush was off the grid, which is hard to do for a guy listed at 6-foot-5, 350 pounds.

After the Eagles cut him on July 27, the Lions flew in the rookie defensive tackle for a workout. It went well, but Detroit didn’t have the roster room for him, so the Lions stashed Rush at a local hotel.

“They said they had to cut somebody to make room for me, so they kept me overnight again,” Rush said after Thursday night’s game at Arizona. “Then the Raiders swooped in.”

Rush’s agent, Justin Turner, had told Raiders director of pro scouting Dwayne Joseph that he was going to give the Lions until that second morning to sign his client. So Joseph called back at 6 a.m. PT to check, and Turner and his brother, co-agent Joel, then gave the Lions a 20-minute deadline. The Lions needed until that afternoon, they said, and Rush was in the air.

Raiders coach Jon Gruden put a little more flair on the whole situation.

“We had an intercepting airline go in there to steal him away,” Gruden said. “It was a great job by our scouts, really, getting him here.”

There was little fanfare when Rush signed with the Raiders, just a few small lines on the transactions list about an undrafted player out of UAB. A week later, though, he had everybody wondering who he was and where he came from.

In the preseason opener against the Rams, Rush was moving people and had four tackles, three at the line of scrimmage and one for a loss of yards.

“It felt pretty good,” Rush said. “It’s just football, I am in the league now, so everything has to be 100 percent.”

While he didn’t have the same stats against the Cardinals in the second preseason game on Thursday, he helped set up an Ethan Westbrooks sack and one of his two tackles was very, very strong.

Rush held off Arizona guard Jeremy Vujnovich with his left arm and swung down running back D.J. Foster with his right hand when Foster tried to pass.

“I can stop the run, but I can always work on my pass rush,” Rush said. “I am a 345-pound guy. I better be able to stop the run.”

Rush has reset the line of scrimmage in his two games with the Raiders, and Gruden and defensive coordinator Paul Guenther are excited about a player Gruden said “is not one-dimensional.”

“He’s caused some tackles for a loss and pushed the pocket pretty good,” Gruden said. “We like him.”

Football coaches have always liked Rush, dating back to when he was a 270-pound tight end at Cary (N.C.) High and was being recruited by Michigan. He didn’t have the grades and wound up at Northeast Mississippi Community College, where he played two years and schools picked up the scent of an athletic, now 310-pound defensive tackle.

Rush chose UAB because the school offered him a scholarship first, before the SEC schools did, and he had 77 tackles (20 for a loss) and two sacks in two seasons there. But the play that went viral in 2017 was a 27-yard interception return when Rush tipped the ball up, caught it and then outran the quarterback to the endzone.

UAB Football

✔@UAB_FB

https://twitter.com/UAB_FB/status/904102099973263360

FAT GUY TOUCHDOWN!

24-
1f432.png
1f436.png
-7#SCtop10 #theReturn

6:01 PM - Sep 2, 2017
Twitter Ads info and privacy

553 people are talking about this

OK, so by now you’re asking the obvious question: How was this kid not drafted? And no one’s mentioned yet that he apparently can run a 5.02-second 40-yard dash.

Well, eight days before his pro day at UAB, Rush stepped out of the sauna at a workout facility and walked on a broken indoor pitching mound. He sustained a deep cut by his big toe, there was muscle tissue damage and an infection that required surgery.

“Twenty-eight teams came to see him at the pro day and he couldn’t go,” Justin Turner said. “And he wasn’t drafted.”

Joseph was in the Eagles’ personnel department up until the draft, and Rush was a big target for them as a free-agent signing. When Joseph left for the Raiders, there seemed to be some confusion on the Eagles about how to use Rush.

“Anthony is designed to eat two gaps at one time,” Turner said.

The Eagles had three injuries to cornerbacks at the start of training camp and needed to sign Orlando Scandrick. So they waived Rush to clear the roster spot.

“I was surprised I got cut in Philly,” Rush said. “I didn’t even know how to take it, honestly. They did what they did and told me they could live without me … I guess they can live without me. We’ll see.”

The Raiders are sure happy Rush showed up in their lives. He still has two preseason games left to nail down a roster spot, and he welcomes the pressure of living up to his first two preseason games.

“Oh, yeah,” Rush said. “Everyday, I just try and come to work and attack. Know my assignments and go through them. Like I said, it’s just football.

“I had confidence I could do this even before the draft. I went to a smaller school and didn’t get as much publicity as the Power 5 schools but I always knew I could play.”

Brown picks up where he left off
Antonio Brown took part in the Raiders’ morning walkthrough on Saturday and quarterback Derek Carr was impressed, considering Brown has missed practically all of camp with frostbitten feet.

“The man’s recall is unbelievable,” Carr said. “He came in and had no mental errors, and in this offense, that’s not easy to do. Especially, whenever you have a day off … you come back and you’re like, you’ve got to stay on Coach Gruden’s offense all the time.

“You can tell Antonio’s been studying because he came out and didn’t miss a beat. He was a part of everything we did today.”

The Raiders had another walkthrough in the afternoon, and there is a very good chance that Brown will participate in Sunday’s practice.

Meanwhile, the Raiders activated guard Denzelle Good (back) from the PUP List.

“That’s huge for us,” Gruden said. “With Gabe (Jackson)’s injury and Richie (Incognito)’s situation, it’s good to have Denzelle close to returning.”

Jackson is out another six weeks or so with a knee injury and Incognito will serve a two-game suspension to start the season. Good started three games for the Raiders last year

Anerdyblackguy

Supporter
Daps

How many spots are really open on the Raiders’ 53-man roster? Who is the real super sleeper? Does anyone really have any idea who is winning the great long-snapper battle?

These are all great questions probably keeping you up at night. Now that I have let Thursday’s second preseason game marinate a bit, I have thrown all the pieces of the puzzle on the table and examined how they fit.

Full disclosure: I thought this was going to be easy. But then I did it and I had a roster of 56 players. I made some evening coffee, went over it and got down to 55 pretty easy.

But those last two spots … I had to take a walk. I started thinking that I had to tell the last two players that they were being cut. Like I was the general manager. Then it hit me that the last two players might see this story and how that wouldn’t be a fun conversation.

All this, just to satisfy the reader’s thirst for blood.

Ah well, I did it. I pulled the trigger.

I did the defense first, since it was so bad last year and has so many new faces. Plus, it is the key to the season. Defensive coordinator Paul Guenther’s guys don’t have to be great, just solid, and the Raiders could surprise some people.

(* Projected starters)

Defensive tackles: 5
In: Johnathan Hankins*, Maurice Hurst*, P.J. Hall, Ethan Westbrooks, Anthony Rush

Out: Justin Ellis, Eddie Vanderdoes, Gabe Wright

Toughest decision: Ellis. The five-year vet got a new deal last year, came in this season in great shape and everybody likes “Jelly.” But let’s work backward. I think Rush, my super sleeper (undrafted rookie who will make the roster), has already earned a spot. He is 340 pounds and uses it to push people back, following up a dominant first game with a very good second one. Jon Gruden loves the veteran Westbrooks, plus he is versatile. P.J. Hall was a second-round pick last year who had a very nice stop Thursday, knocking the ball loose for an apparent forced fumble before it was overturned on a review. He is not getting cut. Hankins and Hurst are locks. So the solid Ellis gets the axe, leaving Derek Carr and Gabe Jackson as the only survivors from that great 2014 draft class.

Running count: 5

Defensive ends: 5
In: Clelin Ferrell*, Josh Mauro*, Arden Key, Benson Mayowa, Maxx Crosby

Out: Quinton Bell, James Cowser, Alex Barrett

Toughest decision: The coaching staff is intrigued by Bell and the whole receiver-turned-pass-rusher project, but the Raiders have to hope he makes it back to them after waivers and can go onto the practice squad.

Running count: 10

Linebackers: 6
In: Vontaze Burfict*, Brandon Marshall*, Tahir Whitehead*, Marquel Lee, Nicholas Morrow, Kyle Wilber

Out: Jason Cabinda, Te’von Coney, Koa Farmer

Toughest decision: Lee is apparently a lock and Morrow has had a good camp and can cover, so no tough decision here, really. (Wilber was the special teams captain last season.)

Running count: 16

Cornerbacks: 4
In: Gareon Conley*, Daryl Worley*, Trayvon Mullen, Nevin Lawson (suspended first four games), Isaiah Johnson

Out: Nick Nelson, Keisean Nixon, Dylan Mabin, Makinton Dorleant, Joshua Holsey

Toughest decision: Gruden talked up Nelson as a rookie slot corner last year and again at the start of this training camp. I just don’t see it, and the coaches have to think that Johnson has a higher ceiling. Since safety Lamarcus Joyner is playing slot corner this season, there is no reason to keep more than four corners. Lawson doesn’t count for the 53-man roster until after his four-game suspension, so that’s when another decision will have to be made.

Running count: 20

Safeties: 5
In: Johnathan Abram*, Lamarcus Joyner*, Karl Joseph, Curtis Riley, Erik Harris

Out: Jordan Richards, Dallin Leavitt

Toughest decision: None right now, but Harris — who made some plays last season and is good on special teams — could be on the bubble, especially when Lawson comes back from his suspension.

Running count: 25

Quarterbacks: 2
In: Derek Carr*, Mike Glennon

Out: Nathan Peterman

Toughest decision: There are many people who have the Raiders keeping three quarterbacks. Why? Glennon has shown he can be a solid backup to Carr, and while Peterman has had some moments, I think the original plan to put him on the practice squad is still fine. If another team signs Peterman off of waivers, Gruden can feel good about getting him back on his feet with some new confidence.

Running count: 27

Running backs: 5
In: Josh Jacobs*, Doug Martin, Jalen Richard, DeAndré Washington, Keith Smith (FB)

Out: James Butler, Mack Brown, Alec Ingold (FB)

Toughest decision: Ingold has looked the part, but Smith is special teams coach Rich Bisaccia’s No. 1 guy and is a proven blocker. Fullbacks are not in high demand and Ingold, too, could wind up on the practice squad. As far as the running backs, Gruden kept Washington around last season and he looks better now.

Running count: 32

Wide receiver: 6
In: Antonio Brown*, Tyrell Williams*, J.J. Nelson, Hunter Renfrow, Dwayne Harris, Keelan Doss

Out: Ryan Grant, Marcel Ateman, Keon Hatcher, Rico Gafford, De’Mornay Pierson-El

Toughest decision: This is the hardest one other than Jelly, and I wonder if the Raiders could trade Grant for a draft pick or even for a fill-in guard. He has looked very good in the preseason and Gruden talks of always wanting him on his team, but I just don’t see the fit. Not with Nelson winning a job with his speed and his surprising hands, and slot receiver Renfrow and Harris (kick returner and special teams dynamo) being locks. I picked Doss because he has played all three receiver spots and has been impressive without the ball. This is no slight on Ateman, who I think is an NFL receiver. And Hatcher has skills as well.

Running count: 38

Tight ends: 3
In: Darren Waller*, Derek Carrier, Foster Moreau

Out: Paul Butler, Luke Willson. Brandon Barnes

Toughest decision: Because of the extra bodies in the trenches and at receiver, I only kept three. Butler is on the cusp, but I don’t think he has pushed past anyone and might be headed back to the practice squad. Willson, the former Lion, might be the fourth guy if the Raiders kept that many.

Running count: 41

Offensive linemen: 9
In: Kolton Miller*, Richie Incognito* (suspended first two games), Rodney Hudson*, Gabe Jackson*, Trent Brown*, Jonathan Cooper, Brandon Parker, Jordan Devey, Denver Kirkland, Denzelle Good

Out: Kirkland (when Incognito is back), David Sharpe, Tyler Roemer, Lester Cotton, Andre James, Justin Murray

Toughest decision: There is still too much in the air. I need an update on Good’s back rehab, because I don’t think he is headed to the injured reserve list. Cooper and Kirkland might be fighting for one spot, and I also don’t know if the coaches are really sold on Parker as a swing tackle. They may see a veteran tackle they like on waivers.

Running count: 50

Specialists: 3

In: K Daniel Carlson, P A.J. Cole, LS Andrew DePaola

Out: LS Trent Sieg

Toughest decision: I can’t judge long snappers, especially very good ones. I think Gruden goes with the veteran over the youngster, especially with Cole being a rookie and Carlson in his second year. The Raiders made DePaola the highest-paid snapper in the league last year, and that love hasn’t just gone away because he was hurt last season,

Final count: 53

(Photo: Rick Scuteri / AP)

Anerdyblackguy

Supporter
Daps
CJ Henderson wanted to commit to Florida during his first substantial visit to Gainesville.

“But I kind of talked him out of committing early,” his father, Chris Henderson, said. “I told him to wait because it was the first big school he was meeting. I said, ‘Just wait, see everything, and if you still want to go there after you see stuff, fine.’”

Two weeks later, Henderson showed up at Miami. At that point, he wanted to commit to the Hurricanes. Henderson grew up in Miami. He attended Columbus High School. And Henderson Sr. describes himself as a “big fan” of the Hurricanes. Henderson Sr. gave CJ a similar spiel, only this time, he ended by asking, “Are you sure?” On Feb. 12, 2016, CJ Henderson committed to Miami.

The commitment lasted eight months. During that span and the four months that followed leading up to National Signing Day, a seesaw battle for Henderson’s pledge between Miami and eventual winner Florida ensued. Both teams’ rosters are littered with players who could have picked either Florida or Miami. What makes Henderson different is that on Saturday when the Gators and Hurricanes kick off the season in Orlando, he will be the only player on the field currently featured in most early 2020 first-round mock drafts.

Not every recruiting battle lasts as long as Henderson’s did, either. Before a winding process, Henderson referred to himself as a Florida Gators football player as early as the 10th grade on Facebook, his father said. That wasn’t a giveaway — Henderson wouldn’t have become the first player to commit to a school after first expressing a strong affinity for a different one — but it remains noteworthy context.

“UF was his dream school,” Henderson Sr. said. “It always was his dream school.”

Florida was a main reason why Henderson decommitted from Miami in October 2016. He kept taking visits to Gainesville. He kept feeling a pull from the Gators.

Still, a final decision took time. Florida constantly lingered in his mind, but Henderson developed a strong relationship with Miami cornerbacks coach Mike Rumph. Henderson has always wanted to be a first-round cornerback talent, and in Rumph, he saw someone who accomplished that as a player at Miami. Meetings with Miami dominated Henderson’s December in 2016, and he took an official visit to Florida on Jan. 20, 2017. With less than two weeks before signing day, Henderson still hadn’t made up his mind.

“It actually came down to the last two days,” Henderson Sr. said. “He actually flipped maybe two or three times at home deciding between UM and Florida.”

Henderson’s parents guided him through the recruiting process, but they didn’t want to make the decision for him. One day in late January, he picked Florida. His mind was made up. Until it wasn’t. A couple of days later, he told his parents he was picking Miami, opting to stay closer to home. The next day, he changed his mind again after asking himself a question.

If every coach left Miami and every coach left Florida while he was still there, where would he rather be?

Henderson went with his gut, and that, along with his thought process, made his parents proud.

“This is my childhood dream school, to come here,” Henderson said. “I’ve been watching guys, Joe Haden, those guys. That’s really what brought me to want to be a Florida Gator.”

“He was where he wanted to be,” Henderson Sr. said. “He decided on the Florida Gators, and, man, it worked out perfect.”

The result, to this point, has been ideal. But Henderson’s development is fascinating given Florida’s turnover at cornerbacks coach and the fact he mostly played running back in high school.

It’s a good thing Henderson asked himself that question: Torrian Gray recruited him, but left; former defensive coordinator Randy Shannon and secondary coach Corey Bell coached him in 2017 and are long gone; former corners coach Charlton Warren left for Georgia after the 2018 season. Gray returned to Florida this season to coach corners.

Before high school, Henderson played both ways, starring at running back and corner at the youth level, so the secondary wasn’t completely new territory for him. But as a junior in high school, he strictly played running back. He rushed for 636 yards and seven touchdowns on 68 carries in 2015 as a junior. Then, he decided a move to cornerback would be more promising for his future, and he was allowed to play on both sides. Still, Auburn and West Virginia, he said, were among the schools to offer him as a running back.

Recruiting sites referred to him as an athlete and ranked him as a four-star prospect. He was the No. 139 overall prospect, per the 247Sports Composite. Success was never going to be a surprise for him; the former track star is 6-foot-1 with eye-opening athleticism.

But so soon? And at this level?

As a freshman in 2017, Henderson became the first Florida player to record a pick-six in back-to-back games since 1996, and he needed only two career games to achieve the feat. Henderson’s 2018 confirmed his status as one of the nation’s best corners.

It’s hard for Henderson to articulate how this happened. He doesn’t name any personal trainers or list any methods. He tends to be reserved with media and is often short on words, so that’s part of the reason. But those close to him have trouble pinpointing specific reasons, too. What everyone agrees on is the only trait stronger than Henderson’s passion and athleticism is his work ethic. He is always staying late after practice, either running, working on his footwork or performing one-on-one drills with teammates.

“I had to work on my own,” Henderson said.

To get a better understanding of what makes Henderson thrive at cornerback, The Athleticreviewed a few plays from last season with him.

Play 1
Situation: Henderson chased down ball-carriers to save touchdowns on at least three occasions last season, often racing from the opposite side of the field to make a stop. He had 38 tackles, including 26 unassisted. On this scramble from Jake Bentley, Henderson made the tackle at the 2.

Henderson’s take: “We’re in the red zone, and I was just squeezing the field. The quarterback was pursuing after my receiver stopped running his route. So I saw the quarterback scramble out and I just ran as hard as possible to make the tackle. I was just thinking, ‘Run to the ball.’ That’s what we do in practice, so it just came out of habit to run to the ball.”

Play 2
Situation: Henderson is exceptional at disrupting inside passes. According to Sports Info Solutions, he was targeted 12 times on slants, posts, digs and drags. On those passes, he allowed only two catches for 27 yards with two interceptions and four pass breakups. On this inside route, Henderson makes the play to prevent a first down on third-and-3 from the Missouri 16.

Henderson’s take: “Right here, I just felt his stem (the line the receiver takes getting to his break point) going in. That was a lazy route. So I just read his stem and broke with him on the inside. I was anticipating that route on that side and I was playing it more because that really was going to be a harder plant. I was working on leverage all of last year, and even though I should have been better here with my leverage inside, I still was able to make the play. It’s all about his stem. When he stems inside, it has to be an inside route, so I just read his stem and just played the ball. Part of it is, I was able to see the ball. Playing outside and being able to look in, looking through him and looking at the quarterback, I saw the ball come out and just played it.”

Play 3
Situation: Blitzing was new for Henderson in 2018. But it didn’t look that way. Henderson had three sacks, including this one against Mississippi State on second-and-3 from the Florida 32 in the second quarter.

Henderson’s take: “I just lined up as if I was covering him, how I would any other snap. I just took off right at the moment of the snap because that is what I am taught to do. As soon as the receiver moves, I go. I can go off his step or read the end guy on the line of scrimmage, which would either be the tackle or the tight end. I could read them and just take off. But I didn’t peak inside at all on this play. I was watching the receiver the whole time. Last year was my first time ever blitzing, but contact or a block wasn’t something I was ever worried about. I was just trying to get to the quarterback as fast as I can.”

Play 4
Situation: Completions against Henderson were a rarity last season; he allowed only 15 on 40 targets, according to Sports Info Solutions. So it was surprising to see Shea Patterson find Nico Collins for an 11-yard gain on third-and-10 from the Michigan 25 during the first quarter of the Peach Bowl.

Henderson’s take: “This was two-man, so I had to stay inside. If we were in man, I could’ve played that better. But this is the route you kind of have to give up in two-man because we’re under. I have to stay inside of him. That out route is really the only route you can’t really make a play on. So I just had to make the tackle. I had a feeling they were going to do that, but I was just playing the defense. Right there, I had to stay inside. I think what I did was right. He just made a good catch. I didn’t even expect him to make that catch. But that was just a really good catch. I was disappointed. If we were in man or zero coverage, I could have made that play.”

Florida defensive coordinator Todd Grantham wasn’t the person who tried to sway Henderson toward Florida over Miami. But he’s sure glad with how things turned out.

“He’s the best corner I’ve ever coached,” Grantham said last November. “He’s competitive. He plays hard and he does his job. He works, and I’m certainly glad he’s on our team and looking forward to continue to develop him.”

In the spring, Grantham, who is entering his 10th consecutive season as a college defensive coordinator, again called Henderson the best college corner he has coached. Grantham said Henderson’s work ethic and “relentless effort” set him apart.

Henderson’s 24.06 QB rating against, per Sports Info Solutions, was the best among corners last year in the SEC. He allowed only 5.2 yards per attempt. For context, former Georgia corner Deandre Baker was a first-round pick in 2018 after allowing only 3.85 yards per attempt as a senior (Baker saw 41 targets, one more than Henderson). Baker had a 42.53 QBR against.

Humility is a value Chris Henderson passed on to his son, so he refrains from saying the obvious: He knew.

Of course, Henderson Sr. knew his son was a gifted athlete. CJ took to football immediately. By 4, he was playing football. He always wanted to be fast. In pee-wee football, he was part of a team that won a championship using a three-back system. He was one of the running backs. The backs of the other two running backs’ jerseys read “Thunder” and “Lightning.” Henderson’s read “Flash.”

In elementary school, Henderson used to end each journal entry of the week with the words “Beat Liberty” or “Beat Richmond.” The team names changed. The message didn’t.

“He always had that little extra with football,” Henderson Sr. said.

This week, it’s beat Miami.

“Most definitely,” Henderson said, “I’m going to take it personally.”

Lucky_Lefty

Dreams Are Colder Than Death...
Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
Chad Wilson saw the video moments before everyone else and was surprised.

Chad was told his son Marco Wilson would be jogging. Marco wasn’t jogging. Three months after undergoing surgery for a torn ACL, Marco was running.

“When I think of jogging,” Chad said, “I’m thinking not full-out strides like that. I was thinking, ‘Man, geez, you have a pretty good stride going there.’”

Seconds after Chad finished watching the short video, it was shared on Instagram. From there, it quickly circulated on Twitter. The clip was a milestone for Marco.

“That was just the first time I started to run,” he said. “It felt weird compared to right now. I can run normal now.”

Wilson surprised more than just his father on Dec. 24 last year during one of Florida’s bowl practices at Mercedes-Benz Stadium when he ran — with a full practice uniform and helmet on — from one sideline to the other across the 50.

People thought he might be playing in the bowl game,” Chad Wilson said with a laugh. “I didn’t say anything. I just let people run with that and have fun.”

How could some of those Florida fans be blamed for wishful thinking? Wilson had 10 pass breakups as a freshman in 2017, which ranked tied for sixth in the SEC.

Wilson didn’t have the opportunity to further bolster his resume as a first-rate defensive back in the SEC last year after his impressive debut in 2017. His season ended Week 2 on Sept. 8 against Kentucky in The Swamp. Though it took him only three months to run, nearly a full calendar year has now passed since he last played in a game.

Wilson will return to the field Saturday when No. 8 Florida opens the season against Miami in Orlando.

He was missed. Without Wilson, Florida was forced to play then-freshman Trey Dean alongside stalwart cornerback CJ Henderson. When Dean wasn’t playing, former three-star prospects C.J. McWilliams and Brian Edwards saw snaps. Dean held his own at times, but opposing teams targeted the side opposite Henderson more frequently — and found more success doing so than they probably would have otherwise, had Wilson been healthy.

A few takeaways from the chart above …

• Context is important when explaining the yards per pass attempt differential. Wilson’s number is higher, in part, because the defense he played on was worse. The Gators’ defense wasn’t good in 2017, and they vastly improved in 2018 with a fiercer pass rush among other tangible enhancements. Florida’s defense allowed a whopping 8.0 yards per pass attempt in 2017, its worst mark over the entire decade — the Gators didn’t allow more than 6.5 yards per pass attempt in any other season. Florida allowed 6.2 yards per pass attempt last year. The figure should further dwindle because of Wilson’s presence and this being the secondary’s second year under defensive coordinator Todd Grantham.

• Wilson is elite at deflecting passes. Despite seeing 43 fewer targets in 2017 than McWilliams, Edwards and Dean combined saw in 2018, according to Sports Info Solutions, Wilson had only two fewer passes defensed (a defender “breaking up a throw at the catch point”). Such a knack will come in handy in the red zone, just as an inability to thwart attempts was costly at times last year.

• It’s not shown on the chart, but it’s worth pointing out that although he probably played more snaps, Henderson saw only one fewer target in 2018 than he did in 2017. His overall numbers improved. His completion percentage against went from 50 percent to 38 percent, and his yards allowed per pass attempt dropped from 7.7 to 5.28. As good as Henderson’s completion percentage against was in 2018, Wilson’s number from 2017 was a tick better.

Florida won 10 games without Wilson last year, so adding him to a veteran defense, from an abstract point of view, offers an obvious source of optimism for improvement. From a practical standpoint, Florida’s defensive players suspect Grantham will be calling more blitzes and will be more aggressive now that he has Wilson to pair with Henderson. Dean remains one of Florida’s best 11 defensive players, so he moved to nickel safety, where he should thrive as someone capable of blitzing, tackling and covering as needed.

Talk to any defensive player or coach at Florida, particularly those associated with the secondary, and the same thing is mentioned as a benefit from Wilson’s return: Confidence.

“It changes everything,” safeties coach Ron English said. “It changes everything, because Marco’s a real dude. Oh, it’s confidence. Guys know, I think they feel like we can be the best secondary in the country. And when you have two corners like that and some safeties with experience that can play and have made big plays in big games to change things, that’s a pretty sweet deal.”

Wilson is ready to do his part. Cornerbacks coach Torrian Gray said early in preseason camp that Wilson looked “unbelievable” and was “doing a hell of a job.” He is 100 percent, and it’s showing. Just as he did the prior two years, Wilson has stayed late after each practice with Henderson, working on their respective games.

Injuries, however, have a tendency to make a player evanescent to media. Unlike Henderson, Wilson is not on preseason All-America or All-SEC lists.

“I was expecting that,” Wilson said. “I see all the draft boards, everything, and they don’t have me on any of them. But I simply gotta think that I didn’t play last year, so you can’t blame them. I haven’t played in a year.

“So after this year, I’m sure it will be different. You will see everything be different by the end of the year, after I played a full year. And they’ll see that I am that guy and I am one of the best defensive backs in the country. So I am not really worried about the preseason stuff and not being in any of that. That’s just all stuff for the media. So I am not worried about it.”

If Wilson plays well on Saturday, he can instantly change that conversation — and get one step closer to a team goal that has lingered in his mind since the injury. As in, he wants to actually play on a winning team.

Wilson’s family didn’t attend every Florida game last year, but they went to the home games. They were with Wilson when Florida won its biggest home game of the season against LSU. They watched the game. They heard the crowd. They saw how disappointed Wilson was to not really be part of it.

Wilson felt the same way during the week of Florida’s bowl preparation. That’s part of the reason why he was so eager to run — not simply jog.

“Definitely during those big wins, it hurt me,” Wilson said. “I was there but definitely wasn’t a part of it. That’s kind of annoying. But I’m definitely still happy for my teammates. They had a great year. You always want to be a part of it. You’re on the team, you want to be out there playing with your guys. But I put that behind me and focused on this year. We could have a lot more good memories this year.”

For Wilson, that starts with playing on Saturday.

malbaker86

Gators
Daps
Reppin
Jacksonville, FL

Chad was told his son Marco Wilson would be jogging. Marco wasn’t jogging. Three months after undergoing surgery for a torn ACL, Marco was running.

“When I think of jogging,” Chad said, “I’m thinking not full-out strides like that. I was thinking, ‘Man, geez, you have a pretty good stride going there.’”

Seconds after Chad finished watching the short video, it was shared on Instagram. From there, it quickly circulated on Twitter. The clip was a milestone for Marco.

“That was just the first time I started to run,” he said. “It felt weird compared to right now. I can run normal now.”

Wilson surprised more than just his father on Dec. 24 last year during one of Florida’s bowl practices at Mercedes-Benz Stadium when he ran — with a full practice uniform and helmet on — from one sideline to the other across the 50.

People thought he might be playing in the bowl game,” Chad Wilson said with a laugh. “I didn’t say anything. I just let people run with that and have fun.”

How could some of those Florida fans be blamed for wishful thinking? Wilson had 10 pass breakups as a freshman in 2017, which ranked tied for sixth in the SEC.

Wilson didn’t have the opportunity to further bolster his resume as a first-rate defensive back in the SEC last year after his impressive debut in 2017. His season ended Week 2 on Sept. 8 against Kentucky in The Swamp. Though it took him only three months to run, nearly a full calendar year has now passed since he last played in a game.

Wilson will return to the field Saturday when No. 8 Florida opens the season against Miami in Orlando.

He was missed. Without Wilson, Florida was forced to play then-freshman Trey Dean alongside stalwart cornerback CJ Henderson. When Dean wasn’t playing, former three-star prospects C.J. McWilliams and Brian Edwards saw snaps. Dean held his own at times, but opposing teams targeted the side opposite Henderson more frequently — and found more success doing so than they probably would have otherwise, had Wilson been healthy.

• Context is important when explaining the yards per pass attempt differential. Wilson’s number is higher, in part, because the defense he played on was worse. The Gators’ defense wasn’t good in 2017, and they vastly improved in 2018 with a fiercer pass rush among other tangible enhancements. Florida’s defense allowed a whopping 8.0 yards per pass attempt in 2017, its worst mark over the entire decade — the Gators didn’t allow more than 6.5 yards per pass attempt in any other season. Florida allowed 6.2 yards per pass attempt last year. The figure should further dwindle because of Wilson’s presence and this being the secondary’s second year under defensive coordinator Todd Grantham.

• Wilson is elite at deflecting passes. Despite seeing 43 fewer targets in 2017 than McWilliams, Edwards and Dean combined saw in 2018, according to Sports Info Solutions, Wilson had only two fewer passes defensed (a defender “breaking up a throw at the catch point”). Such a knack will come in handy in the red zone, just as an inability to thwart attempts was costly at times last year.

• It’s not shown on the chart, but it’s worth pointing out that although he probably played more snaps, Henderson saw only one fewer target in 2018 than he did in 2017. His overall numbers improved. His completion percentage against went from 50 percent to 38 percent, and his yards allowed per pass attempt dropped from 7.7 to 5.28. As good as Henderson’s completion percentage against was in 2018, Wilson’s number from 2017 was a tick better.

Florida won 10 games without Wilson last year, so adding him to a veteran defense, from an abstract point of view, offers an obvious source of optimism for improvement. From a practical standpoint, Florida’s defensive players suspect Grantham will be calling more blitzes and will be more aggressive now that he has Wilson to pair with Henderson. Dean remains one of Florida’s best 11 defensive players, so he moved to nickel safety, where he should thrive as someone capable of blitzing, tackling and covering as needed.

Talk to any defensive player or coach at Florida, particularly those associated with the secondary, and the same thing is mentioned as a benefit from Wilson’s return: Confidence.

“It changes everything,” safeties coach Ron English said. “It changes everything, because Marco’s a real dude. Oh, it’s confidence. Guys know, I think they feel like we can be the best secondary in the country. And when you have two corners like that and some safeties with experience that can play and have made big plays in big games to change things, that’s a pretty sweet deal.”

Wilson is ready to do his part. Cornerbacks coach Torrian Gray said early in preseason camp that Wilson looked “unbelievable” and was “doing a hell of a job.” He is 100 percent, and it’s showing. Just as he did the prior two years, Wilson has stayed late after each practice with Henderson, working on their respective games.

Injuries, however, have a tendency to make a player evanescent to media. Unlike Henderson, Wilson is not on preseason All-America or All-SEC lists.

“I was expecting that,” Wilson said. “I see all the draft boards, everything, and they don’t have me on any of them. But I simply gotta think that I didn’t play last year, so you can’t blame them. I haven’t played in a year.

“So after this year, I’m sure it will be different. You will see everything be different by the end of the year, after I played a full year. And they’ll see that I am that guy and I am one of the best defensive backs in the country. So I am not really worried about the preseason stuff and not being in any of that. That’s just all stuff for the media. So I am not worried about it.”

If Wilson plays well on Saturday, he can instantly change that conversation — and get one step closer to a team goal that has lingered in his mind since the injury. As in, he wants to actually play on a winning team.

Wilson’s family didn’t attend every Florida game last year, but they went to the home games. They were with Wilson when Florida won its biggest home game of the season against LSU. They watched the game. They heard the crowd. They saw how disappointed Wilson was to not really be part of it.

Wilson felt the same way during the week of Florida’s bowl preparation. That’s part of the reason why he was so eager to run — not simply jog.

“Definitely during those big wins, it hurt me,” Wilson said. “I was there but definitely wasn’t a part of it. That’s kind of annoying. But I’m definitely still happy for my teammates. They had a great year. You always want to be a part of it. You’re on the team, you want to be out there playing with your guys. But I put that behind me and focused on this year. We could have a lot more good memories this year.”

the spoiler name :dead: but appreciate it bruh!

malbaker86

Gators
Daps
Reppin
Jacksonville, FL
CJ Henderson wanted to commit to Florida during his first substantial visit to Gainesville.

“But I kind of talked him out of committing early,” his father, Chris Henderson, said. “I told him to wait because it was the first big school he was meeting. I said, ‘Just wait, see everything, and if you still want to go there after you see stuff, fine.’”

Two weeks later, Henderson showed up at Miami. At that point, he wanted to commit to the Hurricanes. Henderson grew up in Miami. He attended Columbus High School. And Henderson Sr. describes himself as a “big fan” of the Hurricanes. Henderson Sr. gave CJ a similar spiel, only this time, he ended by asking, “Are you sure?” On Feb. 12, 2016, CJ Henderson committed to Miami.

The commitment lasted eight months. During that span and the four months that followed leading up to National Signing Day, a seesaw battle for Henderson’s pledge between Miami and eventual winner Florida ensued. Both teams’ rosters are littered with players who could have picked either Florida or Miami. What makes Henderson different is that on Saturday when the Gators and Hurricanes kick off the season in Orlando, he will be the only player on the field currently featured in most early 2020 first-round mock drafts.

Not every recruiting battle lasts as long as Henderson’s did, either. Before a winding process, Henderson referred to himself as a Florida Gators football player as early as the 10th grade on Facebook, his father said. That wasn’t a giveaway — Henderson wouldn’t have become the first player to commit to a school after first expressing a strong affinity for a different one — but it remains noteworthy context.

“UF was his dream school,” Henderson Sr. said. “It always was his dream school.”

Florida was a main reason why Henderson decommitted from Miami in October 2016. He kept taking visits to Gainesville. He kept feeling a pull from the Gators.

Still, a final decision took time. Florida constantly lingered in his mind, but Henderson developed a strong relationship with Miami cornerbacks coach Mike Rumph. Henderson has always wanted to be a first-round cornerback talent, and in Rumph, he saw someone who accomplished that as a player at Miami. Meetings with Miami dominated Henderson’s December in 2016, and he took an official visit to Florida on Jan. 20, 2017. With less than two weeks before signing day, Henderson still hadn’t made up his mind.

“It actually came down to the last two days,” Henderson Sr. said. “He actually flipped maybe two or three times at home deciding between UM and Florida.”

Henderson’s parents guided him through the recruiting process, but they didn’t want to make the decision for him. One day in late January, he picked Florida. His mind was made up. Until it wasn’t. A couple of days later, he told his parents he was picking Miami, opting to stay closer to home. The next day, he changed his mind again after asking himself a question.

If every coach left Miami and every coach left Florida while he was still there, where would he rather be?

Henderson went with his gut, and that, along with his thought process, made his parents proud.

“This is my childhood dream school, to come here,” Henderson said. “I’ve been watching guys, Joe Haden, those guys. That’s really what brought me to want to be a Florida Gator.”

“He was where he wanted to be,” Henderson Sr. said. “He decided on the Florida Gators, and, man, it worked out perfect.”

The result, to this point, has been ideal. But Henderson’s development is fascinating given Florida’s turnover at cornerbacks coach and the fact he mostly played running back in high school.

It’s a good thing Henderson asked himself that question: Torrian Gray recruited him, but left; former defensive coordinator Randy Shannon and secondary coach Corey Bell coached him in 2017 and are long gone; former corners coach Charlton Warren left for Georgia after the 2018 season. Gray returned to Florida this season to coach corners.

Before high school, Henderson played both ways, starring at running back and corner at the youth level, so the secondary wasn’t completely new territory for him. But as a junior in high school, he strictly played running back. He rushed for 636 yards and seven touchdowns on 68 carries in 2015 as a junior. Then, he decided a move to cornerback would be more promising for his future, and he was allowed to play on both sides. Still, Auburn and West Virginia, he said, were among the schools to offer him as a running back.

Recruiting sites referred to him as an athlete and ranked him as a four-star prospect. He was the No. 139 overall prospect, per the 247Sports Composite. Success was never going to be a surprise for him; the former track star is 6-foot-1 with eye-opening athleticism.

But so soon? And at this level?

As a freshman in 2017, Henderson became the first Florida player to record a pick-six in back-to-back games since 1996, and he needed only two career games to achieve the feat. Henderson’s 2018 confirmed his status as one of the nation’s best corners.

It’s hard for Henderson to articulate how this happened. He doesn’t name any personal trainers or list any methods. He tends to be reserved with media and is often short on words, so that’s part of the reason. But those close to him have trouble pinpointing specific reasons, too. What everyone agrees on is the only trait stronger than Henderson’s passion and athleticism is his work ethic. He is always staying late after practice, either running, working on his footwork or performing one-on-one drills with teammates.

“I had to work on my own,” Henderson said.

To get a better understanding of what makes Henderson thrive at cornerback, The Athleticreviewed a few plays from last season with him.

Play 1
Situation: Henderson chased down ball-carriers to save touchdowns on at least three occasions last season, often racing from the opposite side of the field to make a stop. He had 38 tackles, including 26 unassisted. On this scramble from Jake Bentley, Henderson made the tackle at the 2.

Henderson’s take: “We’re in the red zone, and I was just squeezing the field. The quarterback was pursuing after my receiver stopped running his route. So I saw the quarterback scramble out and I just ran as hard as possible to make the tackle. I was just thinking, ‘Run to the ball.’ That’s what we do in practice, so it just came out of habit to run to the ball.”

Play 2
Situation: Henderson is exceptional at disrupting inside passes. According to Sports Info Solutions, he was targeted 12 times on slants, posts, digs and drags. On those passes, he allowed only two catches for 27 yards with two interceptions and four pass breakups. On this inside route, Henderson makes the play to prevent a first down on third-and-3 from the Missouri 16.

Henderson’s take: “Right here, I just felt his stem (the line the receiver takes getting to his break point) going in. That was a lazy route. So I just read his stem and broke with him on the inside. I was anticipating that route on that side and I was playing it more because that really was going to be a harder plant. I was working on leverage all of last year, and even though I should have been better here with my leverage inside, I still was able to make the play. It’s all about his stem. When he stems inside, it has to be an inside route, so I just read his stem and just played the ball. Part of it is, I was able to see the ball. Playing outside and being able to look in, looking through him and looking at the quarterback, I saw the ball come out and just played it.”

Play 3
Situation: Blitzing was new for Henderson in 2018. But it didn’t look that way. Henderson had three sacks, including this one against Mississippi State on second-and-3 from the Florida 32 in the second quarter.

Henderson’s take: “I just lined up as if I was covering him, how I would any other snap. I just took off right at the moment of the snap because that is what I am taught to do. As soon as the receiver moves, I go. I can go off his step or read the end guy on the line of scrimmage, which would either be the tackle or the tight end. I could read them and just take off. But I didn’t peak inside at all on this play. I was watching the receiver the whole time. Last year was my first time ever blitzing, but contact or a block wasn’t something I was ever worried about. I was just trying to get to the quarterback as fast as I can.”

Play 4
Situation: Completions against Henderson were a rarity last season; he allowed only 15 on 40 targets, according to Sports Info Solutions. So it was surprising to see Shea Patterson find Nico Collins for an 11-yard gain on third-and-10 from the Michigan 25 during the first quarter of the Peach Bowl.

Henderson’s take: “This was two-man, so I had to stay inside. If we were in man, I could’ve played that better. But this is the route you kind of have to give up in two-man because we’re under. I have to stay inside of him. That out route is really the only route you can’t really make a play on. So I just had to make the tackle. I had a feeling they were going to do that, but I was just playing the defense. Right there, I had to stay inside. I think what I did was right. He just made a good catch. I didn’t even expect him to make that catch. But that was just a really good catch. I was disappointed. If we were in man or zero coverage, I could have made that play.”

Florida defensive coordinator Todd Grantham wasn’t the person who tried to sway Henderson toward Florida over Miami. But he’s sure glad with how things turned out.

“He’s the best corner I’ve ever coached,” Grantham said last November. “He’s competitive. He plays hard and he does his job. He works, and I’m certainly glad he’s on our team and looking forward to continue to develop him.”

In the spring, Grantham, who is entering his 10th consecutive season as a college defensive coordinator, again called Henderson the best college corner he has coached. Grantham said Henderson’s work ethic and “relentless effort” set him apart.

Henderson’s 24.06 QB rating against, per Sports Info Solutions, was the best among corners last year in the SEC. He allowed only 5.2 yards per attempt. For context, former Georgia corner Deandre Baker was a first-round pick in 2018 after allowing only 3.85 yards per attempt as a senior (Baker saw 41 targets, one more than Henderson). Baker had a 42.53 QBR against.

Humility is a value Chris Henderson passed on to his son, so he refrains from saying the obvious: He knew.

Of course, Henderson Sr. knew his son was a gifted athlete. CJ took to football immediately. By 4, he was playing football. He always wanted to be fast. In pee-wee football, he was part of a team that won a championship using a three-back system. He was one of the running backs. The backs of the other two running backs’ jerseys read “Thunder” and “Lightning.” Henderson’s read “Flash.”

In elementary school, Henderson used to end each journal entry of the week with the words “Beat Liberty” or “Beat Richmond.” The team names changed. The message didn’t.

“He always had that little extra with football,” Henderson Sr. said.

This week, it’s beat Miami.

“Most definitely,” Henderson said, “I’m going to take it personally.”

@904Lurker
@TheGreatShowtime
@earl n water
@Lord_Chief_Rocka
@Payday23
@number144

malbaker86

Gators
Daps
Reppin
Jacksonville, FL

@904Lurker
@TheGreatShowtime
@earl n water
@Lord_Chief_Rocka
@Payday23
@number144