OFFICIAL *The Americans { SEASON 1 & 2 } Thread*

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
I'm 36 breh. :old:

Your boss is not bullshytting man. We used to have "fire drills" in preparation for a nuclear attack. And yeah, it wouldn't help a god damn thing. I think most of that was to alleviate the fear kids have....adults seemed to know what to do, so kids were calm. Even though it was obviously some dumb shyt.

And when you're that young nobody is up on nuclear warfare enough to be like :whoa: "wait a minute, this desk ain't stopping shyt". Like I said man, crazy times.

Fred.

:russ: I was like my pops did this shyt in high school, we still worried about bombs in the 80's. Reagan did a good job selling the American people on that shyt.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
:russ: I was like my pops did this shyt in high school, we still worried about bombs in the 80's. Reagan did a good job selling the American people on that shyt.

If you really want to read some scary shyt, check out any of those sites that feature declassified files from WW2 up through the 80s. The world almost ended a few times, mostly due to human and/or mechanical errors.

Close Calls in the Nuclear Age. - Neatorama

For example, that Denzel Washington movie "Crimson Tide" is based on a true story:

During the Cuban Missile Crisis, on October 27 1962, a group of United States Navy destroyers and an aircraft carrier enforcing the blockade against Cuba trapped a Russian Submarine which was armed with nuclear weapons and began to drop depth charges in order to force the submarine to surface for identification. The captain of the Russian submarine, Valentin Grigorevich, believing that a war may have already started prepared to launch nuclear-tipped torpedoes against the United States warships.

As is procedurally required all the senior officers on board must agree before a nuclear bomb could be launched. The Captain and the Political Officer agreed to launch but Vasily Arkhipov, the Second-in-Command disagreed and a heated argument followed during which Arkhipov was able to persuade the captain to surface the ship and await orders from Moscow. It turned out that there was no war.

Crimson Tide-The Real Story Behind The Movie

That would've ended the world.

Fred.

EQ.

Mansur Brown - "Heiwa"
Daps
Reppin
Sunhymns
So Derek Luke and em were the Black Panthers or a precursor?

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Yeah, definitely hasn't slipped since the pilot, a few of those scenes were really tense, and the music worked well too. That FBI agent is the creepiest fukking guy, i swear he's been on every Law & Order as some sort of serial killer, or rapist.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Noticed a mistake. No big deal but was kinda :wtf: considering the show nails the 80s so accurately.

In the scene where Phillip knocks the two guys out and money flies all over the room, some of the bills are "big face" 100s. That bill wasn't issued until '95 or '96. The show takes place in '81.

Ep was great though. I don't know if anyone has pointed it out yet but the tech info that Phillip paid for is obviously the Strategic Defense Initiative. It was nick named "the Star Wars program":

Strategic Defense Initiative - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It was a land and satellite based system that would destroy any nuclear missiles before they had a chance to hit their targets.

Oh and the next ep deals with the Reagan assassination attempt:

Fred.

Last edited by a moderator:

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
Man last night was just great. All the shows I watch were entertaining but The Americans came out on top again. If the show keeps it up it's gonna have Homeland beat.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Someone asked earlier, were the black dudes supposed to be former Black Panthers. I think so, given the context clues.

Fred.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
was the black panthers ideology in line with the KGB/Soviet govt? seems far fetched that a black nicca from the hood would have sympathy for the russians cause. especially enough to actually join the kgb... im asking cause i honestly dont know....

i remember them saying they met at some convention or something and that she recruited him but what about all the niccas on his team? theres no way they letting that many people in on their real identity.

but anyway like i said earlier in this thread. show is GREAT.

Shogun

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Knicks
:wow:
At the risk of sounding like a reactionary idiot....this fukken show has serious potential. I really don't remember being this hooked on a show after only a couple episodes. Even Breaking Bad, which grabbed me right away...didnt grab me like this. The story was interesting, but they really relied on the crazy cliff hanger to keep me watchin. This show is straight piff all the way through. Really, there's not even any troll characters. No Skyler, no Meadow/AJ, no one that pisses you off every time they on the screen. Only other show that can claim that (that I've watched) is The Wire. Every character (so far) in The Americans is solid. I don't even know who the hell I want to win. This shyt could be good brehs
:blessed:

I just worry that FX will manage to fukk it up somehow.

That scene with Phillip and Greg at the table while Phil is finding the hidden message :wow:

Why'd they have to do that beautiful boricua like that, tho? :dahell:

oh shyt, Obarth the gawd TV commentator is up on the Americans? :salute:

I still feel for you after Finn got got, breh. Hate it had to be him :sadcam:

why they have to do that puerto rican mami like that :to:

In Soviet Russia...a trip to the bushes comes quick:birdman:

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
oh shyt, Obarth the gawd TV commentator is up on the Americans? :salute:

I still feel for you after Finn got got, breh. Hate it had to be him :sadcam:

:wow:

I know Finn da gawd is in a better place, smashing angelic pawgs while composing heavenly bangers on his harp. :myman:

But yeah, this show has me looking forward to Wednesday nights now. The thing with FX tho is a lot of their shows start out as certified piff but fall off after a couple seasons.